Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharp 70" First Failure Post Side-Tab Removal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp 70" First Failure Post Side-Tab Removal ?

My LC-70LE650U has developed an issue which looks to me like panel failure. Has not been taken down from the wall yet.

Until it is, what do you think ?
    Attached Files

Re: Sharp 70" First Failure Post Side-Tab Removal ?

Other times it looks normal except for the dark band across the bottom of the screen. The band goes edge to edge.
    Attached Files

Comment

that is quite significant... it looks like the last remaining tab failed.... :-(

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
        that is quite significant... it looks like the last remaining tab failed.... :-(
        Do you think adding any heatsink or anything would help remaining tabs survivability?

Comment

I think some on the forum have put some form of flexible heat padding on them. I would be concerned that playing with them more than you have to is a risk... potentially more than heat itself. Based on the numbers of posts in this forum, it would appear that the "mortality" of the tabs is kind of like... first failure rate has been reached, after that second and third, is already "baked in" so to speak.

Comment

Trash it... anyway how long it lasted?

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
              Trash it... anyway how long it lasted?
              I think it's been just short of three years since original reapair.

Comment

Here's the diagnosis... COF failure second from bottom. Already pulled them from the other side so this one is toast.

Lasted a few months short of three years.

(pics in next post)

Comment

I tried making a thermal pad sandwich and reinstalling the metal bar but it did not make a difference as the chip appears roasted. You can see the pad in one of the pics, the other was on the underside of the bar.
                  Attached Files

Comment

No doubt it's dead...wonder why Sharp's larger panels are so prone to this failure. It seems like a design defect.

Maybe the lesson here is to peel off ONLY the failed tab so you have more chances if the issue occurs again.

There may also be a reason to look at seeing if the VGH and VGL voltages can be adjusted, e.g. by adding some extra load to them. It may decrease power dissipation in the drivers, and increase the lifespan. VGH or VGL too low will however cause picture defects so it may be a fine balance.
                    Last edited by tom66; 10-08-2018, 01:38 PM.
                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Ehm.. i noticed you're from Canada, i know there is an enterprise there called LCD Masters that changes the flat cables..

Comment

Aren't there tab bonding machines in the US where you can have this panel repaired?

Comment

Considering I bought it for $100 and had it almost three years doesn't interest me much to try to find someone to attempt a tab bonding repair but I'll look into it anyway. I'm sure it's cost prohibitive considering similar tv's can be had for cheap only in need of backlight repair.

Comment

I don't know how much costs there for a similar working tv, but i always consider if a tv worth 400$ and a repair 380$ if the repair is guaranteed it worths the pain.. this for non repairer users..
                            Last edited by Davi.p; 10-09-2018, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Do they have access to the tab/cof ? Otherwise it's a non-starter and only useful where the tab joint has lifted partially or wholly.

Comment

They change the tab with a new one, check his Youtube videos..

Comment

Davi, can you send me the youtube link?

Comment

Ok I called LCD Masters in Toronto (4 hour trip by car each way) and was given a price of $500cdn. I told him I already ripped off the tabs from one side and he said they only replace what's necessary to get the picture restored so presumably the single tab/cof that just burnt up in my case.

Not worth it for me.

Comment

I wanna know who is spending $500 to fix a TV when you can buy a new 70" 4K TV for $900. I understand it's a precision job but that is just not economical in the slightest.
                                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

$500 and 8-hour round trip? Are they planning to work on it while you wait? Not worth it for a TV over 3 years old. Strip the boards and sell them and apply that money towards a new TV.

Comment

Working...
                                        X