X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD colour distorted after capacitor change

Hello guys!!

I need some help.

I've HP 1702 17" LCD Screen. Few days back it started flickering on startup. So I decided to change the capacitors. After opening the lcd panel, i found that one capacitor(1000uf 16v) had become fat and the other one(470uf 16v) had popped. I decided to put 1000uf 25 and 470uf 25v. After capacitor change, my lcd became reddish. I've attached some photos.

I thought it might be due to voltage increment, therefore I decided to put 1000uf 16v and 470uf 16v but the result is the same.

The capacitors were located near power supply(on yellowish type board).

Could you please give an idea on what's wrong? the flickering thing has gone, but lcd colours are like you don't have vga drivers installed.

Thanks

Last edited by yodude010; 11-12-2010, 04:53 AM.

Re: LCD colour distorted after capacitor change

reseat the lvds cable.goes to the panel.

Comment

I've double checked. All the connecters are fitted properly. I tried to change the lcd ribbon direction by fitting it upside down, but it doesn't work. I'm unable to locate the problem. All others caps are looking fine to me.

Comment

No, voltage increase is a GOOD thing, because it's only a rating and will extend the life of the recap. Always use more voltage where you can fit it in.

Things you need to do:
        1) Change ALL the capacitors (Except for the main primary)
        2) List the series of the capacitors. You can't just replace capacitors with anything of the same value. It has to be the same series.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

^ Thanks dear. I'v to travel out of city for a few days. I will try to do it after coming back. I will also post the lcd board images so that you can suggest me which ones to change.

Comment

Originally posted by yodude010 View Post
            I've double checked. All the connecters are fitted properly.
            Then clean them with a cotton swab wet in isopropyl alcohol and try again. That reddish tint is a typical symptom of a improperly seated/dirty cable.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Is it the panel that's turned red or the backlight? If it's the latter, you might be due for a CCFL replacement.

Comment

It's the panel, i've seen that issue before when i put my PDA back together with sweaty hands. Once i cleaned the cable and reseated it, the reddish tint went away.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

maybe you damaged the cable when you pulled it apart the first time?
                  had 2 visio lcd tv's with that issue.one red one green.bad crimps in the panel end of the lvds.easy fix.

Comment

Hello guys, sorry i was away.

I checked the cables. All cables are fine. I'm attaching some photos of the board.

@badcappy

When the pc is disconnected, while showing "monitor is going to turn off" the back screen is also reddish. Does that mean the backlight is dead?
                    Last edited by yodude010; 12-11-2010, 04:33 AM.

Comment

any help?

Comment

Originally posted by yodude010 View Post
                        I tried to change the lcd ribbon direction by fitting it upside down, but it doesn't work.
                        I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this, but cables go in the way they are supposed to go in for a reason.

Putting cables in backwards is a good way to cause even more problems.

I can't help you much either, but I do have a monitor with faulty CCFLs and the whole screen is very red, it makes a bad hissing noise and then shuts down.

If that doesn't happen to you then your CCFLs are probably fine.

Oh and please don't post your photos in-line in your posts (unless you resize them).
                        Just attaching them is OK.
                        Not everyone has a 50" widescreen monitor...
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Let LCD warm up and see if reddish tint dissapears. Old cold cathode tubes often turn a bit pink but work well anyway.

Comment

hello, I'm new but I seem in another site that your problem is the backlight I don't know if I can post a site name were you can get that information and buy the parts

Comment

Hi guys my 42" sanyo lcd is doing the same thing and i checked all the cables and cleaned them. How did u guys ever fix the problem?

Comment

bad ccfl backlights can also cause a color change

Comment

Working...
                                X