Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VIZIO E550i-B2 Sound - No Video Problem

Originally posted by Crommy View Post
    Dude, I have a few screwdrivers and no diagnostic tools. Did you even read my posts? I'm just a guy trying not to spend $500 on a new TV. I was told by Shop Jimmy this was a good source for advice. However it appears this is not the place for the "average Joe" to venture and my presence has upset you. Thanks for the warm welcome.
    Wow... We're sorry that you don't feel welcome. I get that you don't want to trash a $500 TV, but you need to make at least a small investment to obtain just the basic tools. We don't have the TV - you do. Most of us would probably breeze thru the fix of this TV, but for us to help you, you need to present us with some basic data. It's not hard (stay-at-home moms have had success here), so at least try to do your part.

Comment

just go out and get yourself a $10 to $25 multimeter and we can help you get to the bottom of it. you dont need to spend $150.

if you just randomly board swap, you will most likely throw way too much money at it and may not end up with a successful repair in the end anyway.
      WHY CAN'T PHILIPS USE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS?

Comment

With a cheap multimeter you can start to make headway as suggested.
        I also suspect an Led(s) fault so in the meantime you could look up on Youtube, video's on how to remove the LCD panel and check out the Leds.
        Again as suggested you would need to be very careful lifting the panel so as not to damage it when removing and replacing it so watch a few videos.
        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

check driverboards. on the two i repaired seems driver boards became un seated and where making contact with speakers grounding them. again thank u guys im always grateful for the fat(knowledge) u put on my head while opening my eyes. i just headlocked my electrical specialty degree plus 4 other certificates that coincide with my field. shortly before that, in 2016 opened (out the mud) the first tv repair shop in my end of texas and you guys have helped me grind through the struggle. you guys are beast and what im really striving to be like. Badcaps for prez

Comment

Thanks guys...a little searching goes along way. Easy fix...Nice
            A little 'bout myself..I learned to troubleshoot computer & software problems on my own since 98, figured why have to ask someone else to. I help others that either can't afford it or don't have the insight

Thanx again,

JWW

Comment

Another one fixed!

Add me to the list of people who have had to fix this rather silly issue. Fresh solder on the connections and hot glue on the connector brought this Vizio back up. That connector seems to have been designed to fail just outside of the warranty period .

In this particular case, it wasn't even powering up at all. The white power light would slowly pulse and then the thing would eventually just give up. Every single point for that connector had broken free.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yes, it's a particularly bad design for a board to board connector. You must have a later version of the PS that detects low current going to the driver board and forces a shutdown. My TV would operate just fine with the broken connector (just no backlight), so it obviously didn't have a low current detection capability.

Comment

Fixed this TV once before for bad solder joints (no backlight), but now it's back with sound, backlight, but no picture. Any ideas?

Comment

May be worth watching
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKdSrAH8_hs

Comment

I did the solder joints for the back light problem, now just have no picture but have back light. He said a tried a new t-con board and it didn't help, so I'm thinking maybe the panel..

Comment

Have you a supply to the tcon?

Comment

Edit! dick barton beat me too it
                          have you got voltage too the tcon fuse? as could be a bad mainboard

Comment

Yes OK sorry update is there is 12V to t-con before and after fuse.. I tried a new main board, same problem. So now that main and t-con were replaced, I'm thinking it's a bad panel. Could that be without shorting anything on the t-con?

Nevermind, had a brain dead moment forgetting to disconnect each side of the panel from the t-con, and could only see left half the screen come on normally with right side ribbon disconnected.
                            Last edited by kevinm34232; 11-03-2017, 08:37 PM.

Comment

so it potentially can have tabs removed to save it... IF it is has side tabs on each side.

Comment

Ya i have seen this on the 70" Vizios and some have luck with that. Something about cutting the trace on the tab to the bad transistor?

Comment

from your "test" doing the right side disconnected, it would appear your issue is on the right side (assuming your brain dead moment tested the disconnected left and got no picture at all... :-) ). Look on the right side, to see how the tabs are connected and see if you notice anything different amongst them (ie. heat marks, etc). Potentially depending on how the bottom edge boards of the panel are connected and how many there are, you can further your "testing" by unclamping the flex cable interconnecting the edge boards on the right side... if possible. This may give you even more picture, you can go from there.... hopefully.

Comment

What should I be looking for, don't see anything abnormal on the main tab bonds..
                                    Attached Files

Comment

look at the bottom corner of the panel.... how are the side tabs / sides "tab cables" connected to the bottom edge boards? On 70 in units, there are small unclampable flex / ribbon cables running from the bottom boards to the side boards. On 55 in, their design might not have that "feature" (like some of the 60's).... as the tabs might be interconnected in some fashion thru the panel itself. how many bottom edge boards are there? I assume there is more than one... maybe one per "half". If there is more than one per half, they are interconnected with unclampable flex cabling. You can unclamp the cable on that side. It should give you more picture ... maybe 2/3 and further confirm the "postulation" that the right side is the issue. IF so, then you will have "tested" most of the connection path and only have the last little bit of bottom edge board along with the side tabs. You can then check that portion of the bottom edge board to see if anything "jump" out at you as there might be a component on the edge board that has a problem and maybe replaceable (with some effort). This would be before the "final / last hope" of tab removal which has no "back tracking mode" there after.

you might post a picture of display that you get.

I see from your picture that there is only one edge board per bottom half.... :-( so you need to look at the lower right corner to see what's up with the interconnection between the bottom edge board and the right side.
                                      Last edited by budwich; 11-05-2017, 06:25 PM.

Comment

So it seems there is no connection from the bottom right edge board to the side tab.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

:-( that means that the connections are formed somehow thru the panel itself to feed the side tabs. Personally, I have only seen a 70 in. I do believe others on this forum have been successful at pulling the tabs on "lesser models".... 60's for sure but not sure about 55's. Are the tabs, the same on both side of the set?

You still haven't posted a picture of the display showing the resulting screen with the tcon cable disconnected. You might try comparing both ends of the bottom edge boards (ie. right and left sides) and see if you can spot any differences that might point to a bad component that might be replaceable.

Comment

Working...
                                          X