Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What tv brand do you most common repair ?

Jeff1... start a new thread with some pictures of what we are dealing with and people will help you. Like you were asked to in this thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...c52d77x&page=5
    Last edited by R_J; 06-09-2018, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Vizio oh oh"s, then Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Hitachi, Sanyo, Toshiba's. In that order. We are pulling at least one panel a day now to change out cheap ass backlights. Shit's getting old.

Comment

I love pulling panels to replace leds. LG and Vizio takes about an hour. Samsung are easy once you get to them. I stay away from the off brands. Too many screws or too much tape.

Comment

Originally posted by brucetv View Post
          Vizio oh oh"s, then Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Hitachi, Sanyo, Toshiba's. In that order. We are pulling at least one panel a day now to change out cheap ass backlights. Shit's getting old.
          How can you tell the cheap ass led strips from the good ones? is there a certain brand to look for?

Comment

Originally posted by saddle_au View Post
            I see Samsung, Sony, LG, Toshiba and Sharp. I see a lot more Sonic, Teac, medion, TCL etc, but don't want them, no hope for obtaining service information.

I like Samsungs because they are repairable most of the time. It might be that the quantity of Samsungs sold means repairers get to see more of them compared to other brands. Most times there is a service manual around (which never describes all the boards in there).

=======
            Samsung = Bad caps, Bad TCons, Bad PFC fets, blown up 8 pin dip high voltage switch mode chips, bad tabs, bad tab chips and bad main boards. Gecko sized entry points to the back of the screen.
            =======
            Sony = Really bad dry jointed tab chips, Bad tabs, Bad TCons. Easy at the moment to pickup 46inch screens for next to nothing with bizarre colour issues due to dry jointed tab bond chips
            =======
            LG = Bad P/S caps, Bad Main board caps, Bad Main board blocking diodes, Bad main board BGA soldering, sometimes Bad Samsung TCons, Bad mounting and insulation of high voltage areas. Seen some that had burst into flame and eaten the P/S PCB. Loved the obscurely worded service bulletin issued about it.
            =======
            Sharp -= Bad front end fets on power supplies (living the dream at 240v here)
            =======

Wouldn't touch generics which surprisingly includes JVC these days. Toshiba is falling off my desirable list as well, the last two opened had nothing Toshiba in them. Asked for a Toshiba main board quote for replacement and the "proper" techs wouldn't even guarantee the new replacement would run either (the last ones they'd got in were faulty).
            So comes the devil and choose these days?

Comment

After all I've seen in the last few years, I'm changing my screen name to nomoresammys.

Comment

Here comes the Samsung's coming in with bad panels more and more now. Seems like quality control at the panel plant really blows lately. Mostly burnt ic's in the side tabs causing horizontal lines in a other wise nice picture. Sucks Samsung as I have been plugging your Tv's for years compared the to rest of the crap I'm seeing. Lot's of TCL's with bad backlights and the panels are so delicate I quit doing BL repairs on that trash. And Sony, my God what kind of trash you spewing out lately. XBR series with a external power supply? 8000 and 9000 top of the line series Samsung's coming in with bad panels and blown backlights after 2 years? No wonder Samsung profits are down. I am seeing a improvement in LG tv's as we are seeing less and less so keep up the good work LG. But let's get that vertical bonding lines out of those OLED's please. Wal Mart is spewing out crap like TCL and ONN and the quality just makes me want to puke. Please people do not waste your money on those 2 brands especially. Pure Chinese junk.

Comment

Are those failed panels made by Samsung? Lots of the big panels used in Samsung are made by Sharp.
                  Never stop learning
                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                    Are those failed panels made by Samsung? Lots of the big panels used in Samsung are made by Sharp.
                    Are you suggesting that Samsung panels are more reliable than Sharp panels?

Samsung panels are certainly less reliable than Sharp panels.

Early model Sharp panels of all sizes (Pre-2015) were very reliable unless it had a rock thrown into the screen. Later model SHARP TVs (2016-newer) are no longer made by SHARP but they have licensed out the SHARP name to cheap Chinese junk manufacturers since about 2016. Who knows who manufactures the panels in newer SHARP TVs anymore?

Samsung panels from 2007-2012 commonly suffer from defective TAB bonds and were especially damaging to SONY and Toshiba brands because SONY and Toshiba do not manufacturer their own panels and used Samsung panels in their 40", 46" and 52" models. These Samsung designed panels often suffered tab bond problems and while Samsung panels were the problem, it dragged SONY and Toshiba names through the mud. Repair was hit-and-miss with no long-term reliability.

Surprisingly, Samsung didn't even use their own panels in some of their 46" TVs (I've seen many AUO panels in 2008-2011 Samsung 46" LN-46BXXX TVs) and you could have two identical TV models numbers but the Samsung panel TVs with bad tab bonds failed, while the AUO panels were more reliable).

Early model SHARP panels (pre-2015) are highly reliable. Anything newer is likely cheap Chinese junk made under a "licensed" Sharp name, but have nothing to do with SHARP.

Early 70" and 80" Sharp panels such LC-70LE632, LC-70LE633, LC-80LE632, LC-80LE633 models are practically the holy grail of bulletproof TVs.

An exception is the well known failures of the newer model 70" Sharp and 70" Vizio panels due to bad horizontal driver ICs. Luckily they are redundant, and many have had good success fixing them for free...

In my opinion, Sharp panels are better than Samsung panels. But I like Samsung's SmartTV interface better than Sharp.
                    Last edited by Unspun01; 11-28-2019, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Anyone remember Philips QFU chassis boards?
                      Worst of the worst in my opinion. Built to fail.

Comment

Working...
                      X