Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad OST cap ASRock A780GXE/128M

Hi fellow cappers, been awhile since I posted :

Starters I am on my phone, and the search option just makes chrome bigger, and closes the popup search bar. Annoying to say the least, I hate web surfing on smart phones.

Anyway I have the mobo as listed, with a 125W Agenda 9950 Phenom BE (unlocked multiplier). I need to over clock it by 400mhz because the company I am trying to work for cares more about clock than cores / load effiency. Tells me the software is likely 1 thread 32 bit crapware. So long story short temps were up a little, so I did a full tear down, and cleaned it. Caps looked good. At 2.8ghz I was stable, yet towards the bottom of the max core temp range, which I don't like. So I cracked the heatsink, got some Arctic silver still, and one of 2 FSB caps (between CPU and ram) is bulged badly. You can't see the caps easily, as they set under the heatsink. I been wondering where these random glitches have been coming from, when there is like no load on anything.

So I would like to replace the 6.3v 1000uf OST, but I don't see a ruby that matches my need. I plan to at least replace the 2 caps, but after a count I see the board has 20 total, should I replace all of them? I have very little cash, and need this job. It's all in an Antec 900, but stock heatsink (AM2+), I can't afford a better sink ATM, but the caps have to be fixed first anyway.

Thoughts?

PS They are 8mmx11.5mm
    Last edited by TheMik; 10-16-2013, 07:09 AM. Reason: Cap size

Re: Bad OST cap ASRock A780GXE/128M

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=131

Use those to replace the OST caps. Replace all of them, not just the obviously bad one. OST rarely bulge when they fail.

I REALLY don't recommend overclocking a 125W Phenom CPU with the stock cooler. They run way too hot, even when they're not overclocked.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Thank you for the prompt reply

I will get those, but at this time I cannot. I have under 10 USD in the bank till my VA pension comes in, on the 1st I am going to look through my spare parts for a possible used cap, which I hate to do. My hope is to get it to 3 GHz for 2 weeks, get my check, order the parts and then when I have a day off, replace them. Of course it has to be stable, and cool, which as we know will be a daunting task. Did have a friend ask me last night if I wanted a tower, no idea what gen it is or anything, but maybe something in it may help.

I am going to check CL for a possible heatsink someone is letting go. When I do order what is the usual purchase to ship time? If you know that is

Comment

Well there isn't an edit button, so I will make a new post :P

I had a whopping $8 usd to my name, and no one responded with time to ship quotes, so I found a 20 pack of rubycon yxg on ebay for 5.29, shipped from the usa, and free shipping. Order last sat, arrived tues, unmarked gold band caps from panasonic. Further reasearch leads me to find these are a FJ series, low esr, but not what I ordered. So I called him, he sent me the rubycons apologizing, which arrived thurs night. Got time to work on the board friday / night, and my weller iron is pooping out, letting me do about 3 caps at a time, then a 30 min cooldown. I also found there was 3 more tucked UNDER the northbridge heatsink, which one (surprise, surprise) was bulged. So I did all 20 rubycons, and used 3 of the panasonics. I don't want to mix brands or series for that matter, but picked the 3 most indivually isolated. One stood alone for my realtek alc sound chip, so itis now panasonic. One by the esr banks of solid caps for the i/o of the mobo. I forget where the last one was, but anyway, since I isolated the panasonic caps, "should" I be ok?

The box is back up and running absolutely wonderfully, sata drives are moving info at 85-90 MB/s sustained, NOTHING is glitchy or stalling for unknown reasons, and my temps are great. HWMonitor shows my highest core temp at 44C, idle 33C, and before the teardown I was 44 ldle, 53 max, which my cpu has a max core temp rating of 55-61C. This is why I took off the heatsink to start with. I re-artic silvered the cpu and northbridge as well, so the silver has yet to break in. I am at 2.6GHz (stock), and will toy with O/C and volts this next week (and yes I use baby steps when o/cing).

Sorry I couldn't buy from here, I don't mind a price increase, or even extra shipping, but I had little money, and had to get this up. I thank you for the advice, and to the owner thank you for hosting this, plus all the knowledge and product to back it up.

Comment

Erm, any pictures of your YXG caps? They could well be fakes, and even lower quality than the original OST parts if they are from fleabay.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Well the correct ones are rubycon, they kinda say it on the cap, AND they are mbz he sent me, his posting isn't correct. I wouldn't buy from the guy ever again, got lucky in my opinion. I am guessing he tries to pass the buck with cheaper caps, maybe he made an honest mistake, after all he did send rubycons (tho not the ones listed lol). I would imagine the ruby's cost more, and he sends cheaper caps out, and hopes no one notices. He said on the phone well these little ones don't have the name on them, funny it shows them in the picture. If you have to throw lies, then I am not going to do business with you.

Like I said, I got lucky (it seems).

Comment

I do hope some china co hasn't gotten away with putting the ruby name on their cheapo caps

Edit: I went to edit last post, but used the quick reply like a moron >.<

Sorry
              Last edited by TheMik; 10-27-2013, 05:35 PM. Reason: Dunderhead

Comment

the fj would have done fine if real.
                problem with ebay is the FAKES!
                post pics of what you got and we will see.
                most of the fakes are in your face blatent and obvious.

Comment

Hmm, it's late, been working on a lappie and a htpc today, so brain is fried, but here is about the best pic I could get atm. Will try again tomorrow.

Not the best, because I shake (yes I REALLY should be soldering when I am shaky, I know! :P )

They are the 4 on the bottom, the one up top is an OST 16v 1000uf. I thought the panasonic were (and could be) Amico caps. I can only find them listed on Amazon, and they look exactly the same, with the included circle around a "M", although that could a standard code, not sure. I will get a pic of those too, I have the extra's somewhere... lol

I needed 23 in all, at the time of ordering I hadn't seen the ones tucked under the NB heatsink. So getting both sets was better than leaving the old ones, or well "should" be (many other factors ofc).

Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                  X