Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASRock P4S61

Hello members of badcaps,

I'm new here and I got a little problem with a ASRock P4S61 Motherboard.
    When I connect a power supply on it, there comes a high pitched sound from one of the components of the motherboard. Even if I don't power it up.
    I have recapped the 6.3v 3300uF KZG series already.
    The other capacitors are from OST.

Is it an good idea to recap the 6.3v 1500uF KZE series?
    Attached Files

Re: ASRock P4S61

The whine noise is often caused by inductors , those coils around the capacitors.

Get something soft and insulating like an eraser or a crayon with an eraser tip.

While the board runs, touch or slightly press on the inductors with the eraser tip or whatever you use and see if the whine is going away.If it does, that inductor vibrates at a certain frequency you can hear.
    The fix is usually to use a non-conductive glue or sort of silicone paste (I don't know the exact term) to lock those wire coils and prevent them from vibrating.

The KZE is a good series, it doesn't go bad often and I doubt it causes the problems.

Comment

Might be some dried out OST capacitors.
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        I did not know that there is power to the coils as the motherboard is turned off.
        I will check the coils tomorrow. If they are good, then I going to check the OST capacitors.

Comment

We had it all wrong. It was a TEAPO 100uF 16V what making that sound.
          Im just a beginner and solder usally big capacitors from power supplies.
          But when I want to remove that small capacitor I burnt the whole motherboard out
          Next time I think I will use a hot air gun. I got the motherboard for free so it is not a problem that it is burned now. Anyway again, thanks for the replies!

Comment

Originally posted by jm20101 View Post
            We had it all wrong. It was a TEAPO 100uF 16V what making that sound.
            Im just a beginner and solder usally big capacitors from power supplies.
            But when I want to remove that small capacitor I burnt the whole motherboard out
            Next time I think I will use a hot air gun. I got the motherboard for free so it is not a problem that it is burned now. Anyway again, thanks for the replies!
            You sure its not flux?
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
              You sure its not flux?
              Unfortunately, yes. I turned the soldering iron too long on the motherboard. It was going to melt, I turn it quick away but it was too late

Comment

Well, what exactly happened, did a trace melt or something like that?

There's several things that can burn, it can be just the silkscreen or the think transparent layer above. You might be able to fix it by soldering that capacitor a different way on the board. Usually capacitors with leads are through board so you could just solder it on top of the board and it would work.

Could you post some clear pictures with the area you damaged? Maybe we can give you some tips to recover it

Comment

Yes, I melted a trace as you can see in the picture I added.
                  I don't have professional tools to fix it, I only have a cheap soldering iron, a desoldering pump and a hot air gun. I tried to fix it but it was even worser.
                  The motherboard goes to the trash after I removed some useful components like the BIOS (battery). Thanks for your help, maybe you can give my some tips how I should remove (and replace) a small capacitor next time
                  Attached Files

Comment

It can be saved... see that thick trace going left and under the text R08?

That's the + rail. Asrock and Asus boards have the silk screen on the board the other way around, the filled section of the circle points to the + sign of the capacitor.

You can carefully scratch away the clear layer of insulation and silk screen over the trace and simply solder a wire on that trace.
                    The other hole is the negative or ground... on the other side of the board it probably goes into a large ground plane like that copper filled surface at the top right.
                    You could follow the trace on the bottom of the board from the hole and see if it goes to one of those ground planes.

So you could try to squeeze a wire through that hole and at the bottom of the board and solder it to one of those ground planes the same way, scratching out the layer of insulation and silkscreen to get to the copper pad.

Comment

I dont think that I have the soldering skills for that. Im scared that if i solder a trace again, it will short another component. After removing the heatsink, I discovered something new: the northbridge chip was a little burned (I added a picture). I don't trust this motherboard anymore. It was already a bit unstable.

Another question: I have a foxconn P4M800 which doesn't want to boot. It will boot if I short the power connector, all the fans working but no display. Also an AGP or PCI card doesn't work. Is it an good idea to recap the KZG 1500uf?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X