Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diagnose plz: Sony KDL-46V4000,Tearing or Dark, Sound OK

Hi there.

Our KDL-46V4000 has a picture problem which we would like to fix. But as we are real electronics novices, we need your expertise.

When we turn on the TV the symptoms are:
    • There is ALWAYS sound
    • Usually there is tearing in the picture on the right side
    • Flexing the TV on the right side leads to either a good picture or dark screen with backlight on
    • If the screen is dark, turning off and on again gives more tries until picture is good.
    • This worked for about 3 months
    • Since recently, the picture stays dark (backlight ok) more often right after turning on or after flexing
    • Also, we need about 20 tries of flexing until we get a good picture

We have read posts regarding Sony TVs here before posting. We have seen talks about replacing TCons or Fuses as well as checking connectors from the screen to the Tcon.

What would you advise us to do. So far we did not open the bugger.

Help appreciated.

Best regards

Re: Diagnose plz: Sony KDL-46V4000,Tearing or Dark, Sound OK

Originally posted by schitthoch2 View Post
    Hi there.

Our KDL-46V4000 has a picture problem which we would like to fix. But as we are real electronics novices, we need your expertise.

When we turn on the TV the symptoms are:
    • There is ALWAYS sound
    • Usually there is tearing in the picture on the right side
    • Flexing the TV on the right side leads to either a good picture or dark screen with backlight on
    • If the screen is dark, turning off and on again gives more tries until picture is good.
    • This worked for about 3 months
    • Since recently, the picture stays dark (backlight ok) more often right after turning on or after flexing
    • Also, we need about 20 tries of flexing until we get a good picture

We have read posts regarding Sony TVs here before posting. We have seen talks about replacing TCons or Fuses as well as checking connectors from the screen to the Tcon.

What would you advise us to do. So far we did not open the bugger.

Help appreciated.

Best regards
    Many of these sets had bad connections between teh ribbon cables and the panel. Tcons are also a problem. If the symptoms you describe are consistent with a bad connection; flexing is unlikely to cure a tcon problem.

I haven't tried this, there is no promise that this will help. Others have reported some success with wedging a dense foam between the bezel and the panel. I'd suggest reading other recent threads here on Sony TVs, then deciding if you have the mechanical skills to try this.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
      [...] If the symptoms you describe are consistent with a bad connection [...].

I haven't tried this, there is no promise that this will help. Others have reported some success with wedging a dense foam between the bezel and the panel.
      Hi PlainBill

Thank you for replying. You confirmed our thoughts that the Tcon might be OK.

But as we understand you suggested two possible fixes. The second is the foam, but what is the first one ? Mechanical skills should be no problem.

Also, are there any pictures of the suggested "foam repair" somewhere?

Thank you very much.

Comment

The diagnosed problem can be narrowed to the following with high probability:
        http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=17433564&postcount=29

So my question is now if the bumpons mentioned need to be heat resistent and if the connectors are under high voltage or not!

Comment

Originally posted by schitthoch2 View Post
          The diagnosed problem can be narrowed to the following with high probability:
          http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=17433564&postcount=29

So my question is now if the bumpons mentioned need to be heat resistent and if the connectors are under high voltage or not!
          Heat resistant would be good in that you don't want a material that softens when it gets warm. The highest voltage in the area would be less than 20 volts; the material should be non-conductive but a high breakdown voltage is unnecessary.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I could partly fix the TV with some Bumpons and the way described in my previous post.

Partly, because I should have tried this a lot earlier. All the flexing seems to have damaged the connectors too much.

I now could reduce the issues to around 20 percent of switch on's.

Replacing the connectors ( and the LCD) is no option.

key learnings: Fix it before flexing too heavily / often. No rocket science.

thank you PlainBill

Comment

Working...
            X