VIZIO E550i-B2 Sound - No Video Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VIZIO E550i-B2 Sound - No Video Problem

sorry ya i thought I had posted a pic, but it is just basically the left half of the screen perfect pic, with a blank right side. I have checked the components not finding anything wrong so far. What's the process of removing the side tabs? I've already considered the panel bad so nothing to lose trying..

Comment

you basically tear all the tabs on the right side off. They are thermally bonded to the screen as soldering at the manufacturing stage would be detrimental to the panel at that point. But this may only work IF there are tabs on the other side of the panel to drive the screen.

Comment

There are tabs on both sides. I'll give it a try and see what happens.. Thx

Comment

Nice job budwich! Can't believe the panel survived the abuse I put it through!

The biggest tragedy was the front bezel/frame that holds the panel in, all the tabs broke removing it, so I will have to glue it or leave some tape on it.

Appreciate the help immensely!

I'm curious, why do all tabs need to be removed, and what are we solving exactly?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by kevinm34232; 11-06-2017, 08:30 PM.

Comment

something bad has happened to one tab. It is causing "loading" across the panel which affects mostly timing of the signals. Removing the tabs takes that away. Of course, the set has been "saved" BUT no manufacturer puts in "things" that can be easily dropped or removed. The set will have some "compromise" and ultimately the tabs on the other side will have to work harder which will shorten their life span... but for now, enjoy your set.

Comment

Wow, So I was working on this TV today but before I even opened it I came onto Badcaps Forum and see what I could find. Sure enough my connector from the Power board to the LED Driver board is like barley hanging on. So I just added super glue between the plastic and the board and after I resolder it I will add Gorilla Glue to the top. I will do the same for both sides.

Comment

I wouldn't glue it like that. You never know when you might have to actually pull the two boards apart. It is better to assemble the two boards together, then solder the broken joints, then reinstall in the chassis as a single unit (both boards connected). This will minimize the stress on the joint and since it doesn't move, should last a long while. My VIZIO has been working since I repaired the connector and started this thread.

Comment

Yea, I thought about that afterwards. Would have been better to solder in wires. But I just glued the connectors down, I didn't glue the boards together. TV is working perfect.

Comment

Update on my repair

I turned on the TV a couple of days ago and all I got was the audio - no video. I figured that it couldn't possibly be a repeat of the original problem, so I searched all the boards looking for a tell-tale black marking of a blown component. None were found, so I took off the power supply board to look at the bottom. I didn't see anything obvious and, just as a lark, I looked at the connector between the two boards. This is what I saw:

Once again, all of the joints were broken.

A closeup of the connector:

To permanently fix the problem (I hope), I decided that that connector had to go, so I removed it from the boards. I replaced it with some 22ga wire with some tubing slide over the wire for insulation. The wires are arced to have some slack for whatever is causing the failure. Some photos of the modification:

Hopefully, this will be a permanent fix, like I hoped that the first fix would be. The first fix lasted about 22 months - let's hope that this mod lasts the life of the TV.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Another one fixed!

Originally posted by SurrealMustard View Post
                      Add me to the list of people who have had to fix this rather silly issue. Fresh solder on the connections and hot glue on the connector brought this Vizio back up. That connector seems to have been designed to fail just outside of the warranty period .

In this particular case, it wasn't even powering up at all. The white power light would slowly pulse and then the thing would eventually just give up. Every single point for that connector had broken free.
                      Yep, same problem here, joint looked almost exactly like the one in the pic. A minute or two with a soldering iron and it works just fine.

Comment

Worked for me also.

Comment

Which mod did you guys make? If it was the first mod, then expect to have to redo it in two years or so. The last mod (in reply #49) should last the life of the set.

Comment

I did the first repair. I glued down the connectors after I reinstalled the boards.

Comment

thank you SLK001 for taking the time to post this solution. I saved one of these TV's and now i will keep an eye out for more of them!
                              Don't fear the repair...

Comment

Originally posted by SLK001 View Post
                                Which mod did you guys make? If it was the first mod, then expect to have to redo it in two years or so. The last mod (in reply #49) should last the life of the set.
                                I just resolved the existing connector... if it breaks again, I'll get some new connectors and some ribbon cable and fix it the way Vizio should have made it.

Comment

Re: Update on my repair

Originally posted by SLK001 View Post
                                  I turned on the TV a couple of days ago and all I got was the audio - no video. I figured that it couldn't possibly be a repeat of the original problem, so I searched all the boards looking for a tell-tale black marking of a blown component. None were found, so I took off the power supply board to look at the bottom. I didn't see anything obvious and, just as a lark, I looked at the connector between the two boards. This is what I saw:

Once again, all of the joints were broken.

A closeup of the connector:

To permanently fix the problem (I hope), I decided that that connector had to go, so I removed it from the boards. I replaced it with some 22ga wire with some tubing slide over the wire for insulation. The wires are arced to have some slack for whatever is causing the failure. Some photos of the modification:

Hopefully, this will be a permanent fix, like I hoped that the first fix would be. The first fix lasted about 22 months - let's hope that this mod lasts the life of the TV.
                                  Im going to attempt this as a novice. I cannot find the wire you used or the insulation. The ones that I found are not clear. Will this work?

https://www.frys.com/product/7716128...hoCVJAQAvD_BwE

Comment

Re: Update on my repair

Originally posted by MarcosDaGeek View Post
                                    Im going to attempt this as a novice. I cannot find the wire you used or the insulation. The ones that I found are not clear. Will this work?
                                    Any insulated wire (22 gauge) will do the job - in fact, using insulated wire is probably easier than using uninsulated buss wire with plastic tubing (it's what I had on hand at the time). It is probably easiest to use a solid wire with insulation, as opposed to stranded wire, for a novice. Do the inner wires first, then do the outer. It's not difficult, just cut and strip the wires as a set, take your time and you should be okay.

Comment

thx OP.
                                      someone just gave me a Vizio E470i w/ no video.
                                      i bet this is the trouble.
                                      looking forward to opening it up to find out!

seems silly to make a rigid connection between the two board like that.
                                      any flex in the chassis or any approaching angle while joining them would stress the connector. what happened to good ole flexible wire?

Comment

Originally posted by tvduude View Post
                                        thx OP.
                                        someone just gave me a Vizio E470i w/ no video.
                                        i bet this is the trouble.
                                        looking forward to opening it up to find out!

seems silly to make a rigid connection between the two board like that.
                                        any flex in the chassis or any approaching angle while joining them would stress the connector. what happened to good ole flexible wire?
                                        The E470i doesn't have this connector. Your problem is most likely a bad LED. Easy fix, I've done a couple of them. Use a flashlight to verify that you have video, but no backlight.

Comment

sorry,
                                          yes i opened the thing shortly after that post.
                                          completely different internals

yes video no backlight.
                                          off to find a E470i thread.

Comment

Working...
                                          X