What microscope to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What microscope to use?

Hi all I've been looking at the amscopes steroscope currently.
    I found this 3.25-225x trinoculur stero scope with a 150w fiber optic ring, the guy is asking $600 would this be good for starting? Should I just buy new because of warranty etc? Any input is greatly appreciated. I really want t hook up a camera eventually too.
    Attached Files

Re: What microscope to use?

Originally posted by Merchlewitz View Post
    Hi all I've been looking at the amscopes steroscope currently.
    I found this 3.25-225x trinoculur stero scope with a 150w fiber optic ring, the guy is asking $600 would this be good for starting? Should I just buy new because of warranty etc? Any input is greatly appreciated. I really want t hook up a camera eventually too.
    I think a lot depends on how much you plan to use it, how old your EYES are, how much you can rationalize shelling out for it, etc.

I spend very little time working/reworking boards. So, I am willing to tolerate a bit more than someone who makes a living at it. I use a rescued ($0) B&L stereomicroscope (with illuminator). It will only magnify to ~30X (it's continuously adjustable from 7 - 30) which is more than enough for me to inspect joints, traces, etc.

But, the binocular design gets tiring if used for long periods of time (for me) as you're hunched over it, regardless of how you position it and the "work". OTOH, a monocular view misses the depth available to a binocular view.

If you can afford it, a Mantis may be preferable.

Also think about how much you actually intend to use the camera capability. Its tedious for me to capture images -- but, I only do so to prove to a vendor that they screwed up some of my boards!

Comment

Working...
    X