Old 06-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #2081
jiroy
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Beirut
My Country: Lebanon
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Free scores for last week :

1 - Two Keyboards Genius PS2 . Working ..

2 - One monitor D-Star BM15V . Working ..

3 - One monitor Orion 7u7 . Not working .lol ..

4 - One laptop Satellite P305 . This one has probably went swimming at some moment in its life , lol . Cleaning and rinsing reveal more damage and corrosion ..And yet , sometimes it manage to start for some minutes ..

5 - A compilation of 30 CD-Rom , Combos and DVD-writers , of all types , for desktops . Scrapping them are a must as some of them contain rare inductors, like for a hint , PL1 and PL2 for laptops (Don't say i told you ... )

6 - One Belkin USB Port Hub F5U221 ..

7 - One Laptop Lenovo G555 , always turn off after some minutes . I'm working on it right now .
jiroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #2082
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

A cheap ebay score on 2 very rare CPU's.... Coppermine 1100/100 (SL5QW) FCPGA processors. They usually sell for ~$100-ish per CPU, I got the pair for a BIN under $30 shipped, new listing, the seller didn't know what he had. With a couple slot-1 adapters, these will roar a retro rig in an Asus P2B-D!

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List

Motherboard Repair Services

If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:01 AM   #2083
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 123-127V 61.5-63.5 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
^
One is a Duron 800/100, the other is an althon 1400/100. The 1400/100 is a bit of an oddball, and apparently kind of rare.

FWIW, this post created from a Dual Pentium classic 233MMX, testing out the PCI GeForce4 MX4000. OS is Win2k on firefox 3.6.27. Very nice GPU for the era, considering its on such a slowass machine.
Because I was poor, I briefly in 2002, from July 5 to October 13, had a T-bird 1300/100. I was in a rush to put it in to my other motherboard, because the Chaintech CT-7AJA2E was acting odd, but usually only with Need For Speed III, LOL

Core i7 Extreme "Bloomfield" 965

PNY GeForce GTX 960

Windows 7 SP1

SoundBlaster ZXR

Corsair TX850M PSU

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Don't eat yellow snow!" -Salem

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #2084
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Quote:
4) The pick of the litter, a Brother HL3170CDW color laser printer, complete. Fuser is bad, but cheap to replace.

This one was a success, despite the fact that United Package Smashers (UPS) tried to kill the new fuser..... I knew it wasn't going to be good when the box arrived smashed...but I was able to repair the latch they managed to break....

Prints very nice!! Total pagecount is 6299, its not even broken in yet! The even cooler part, the owner mis-diagnosed it before taking it to the shop that gave it to me.....and they bought all new OEM toner cartridges for it, they're FULL!!

The complete OEM fuser cost me $80. There were cheaper options, chinese fuser rollers (roller only) available for $15, but researching those yielded some negative reviews and bad results....so I just anted up for the complete OEM fuser.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180614_124649.jpg (270.4 KB, 119 views)
Old 06-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #2085
ratdude747
Black Sheep

City & State: Madison, IN

Quote:
This one was a success, despite the fact that United Package Smashers (UPS) tried to kill the new fuser..... I knew it wasn't going to be good when the box arrived smashed...but I was able to repair the latch they managed to break....

Prints very nice!! Total pagecount is 6299, its not even broken in yet! The even cooler part, the owner mis-diagnosed it before taking it to the shop that gave it to me.....and they bought all new OEM toner cartridges for it, they're FULL!!

The complete OEM fuser cost me $80. There were cheaper options, chinese fuser rollers (roller only) available for $15, but researching those yielded some negative reviews and bad results....so I just anted up for the complete OEM fuser.
Gee, and I thought my $6 Brother HL-2270DW was a good score. Needs toner, runs otherwise. Faster than my LaserJet Pro Color 200, which is slow as dog nuts (and has a duplexer and manual feed try, things the Laserjet oddly lacks...). Page count was in the 7000's... still has original drum, been through 3 toner cartridges. I love how awesome brother lasers are...

(Insert witty quote here)

Last edited by ratdude747; 06-14-2018 at 06:56 PM..
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #2086
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
LOL @ "United Package Smashers"...
Old 06-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #2087
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.George View Post
if state of SMART variables changed, destroy drive
I don't even know if you can avoid that with regular HDD use!

Unless you mean ones, like "CRC Error Rate", "End to End Error Rate",(or similar) the one for uncorrectable errors or the like...
Old 06-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #2088
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
Gee, and I thought my $6 Brother HL-2270DW was a good score. Needs toner, runs otherwise. Faster than my LaserJet Pro Color 200, which is slow as dog nuts (and has a duplexer and manual feed try, things the Laserjet oddly lacks...). Page count was in the 7000's... still has original drum, been through 3 toner cartridges. I love how awesome brother lasers are...
I too am impressed with this one. It prints fast and very crisp. My E260DN is fast, but its black only. my HP 2600 is slow as snot, but color laser. The thing I loved, the standalone driver is a whopping 7meg (HP 2600 driver was well over a hundred meg) for each platform (x64 or x86). The full software suite with drivers was 46mb, but I don't use any of that for network printers, just the standalone driver. S2K12 had an embedded driver. I didn't look into Linux, but I've read scuttlebutt that CUPS has no issues with these printers. I print a lot, so another good printer is always welcome. The HP 2600 will be demoted to the back workroom, and this one will take its place in the office. All my printers are ethernet, so no strange print servers...just plug it into the RJ45 wall jacks, and they work.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:35 PM   #2089
ratdude747
Black Sheep

City & State: Madison, IN

^Brother has CUPS support (closed source) for linux and Mac. It's a bit overengineered and somewhat bloated, but it does work (or did with a wired LAN inkjet all-in-one years ago). On par with HPLIP in my opinion... For linux compatibility on lasers, from my experience Brother and HP are the ways to go. Hence why I now use this:

Top: HP Laserjet Pro 200 Color MFP M276NW; Bottom Brother HL-2270DW

...and kicked my Dell (lexmark) 1600n to the curb (or at least the back of the office, once I get it recapped I'll have to find a use for it, I literally just put toner in the ****!). Printer works on linux by using a lexmark driver, network scan is windows only (not like the HP which does scan to email or save to a network folder, no scan software required). Good hardware, but the software bites.

Yeah, it kinda sucks using two printers to the work of 1... but the color laser AIW was $15, and the brother B&W workhorse below it was $6... even after toner for both (color was out of cyan only) I'll probably be less than you (but not by much)...

(Yes, you still won this one... you don't seem to be one to fax/scan things)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040051.JPG (472.9 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by ratdude747; 06-14-2018 at 09:42 PM..
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #2090
jiroy
Badcaps Veteran

Free scores for last week :

1 - 2 laptops Hp dv5 with different damages .. Great to repair one third missing some components .

2 - 1 laptop Acer Aspire 5100 bl15 . After doing some checks , mosfets behind the power inlet were found guilty . Cpu also seems unstable and it will be replaced .

3 - One box of laptop batteries , some 40 ones .. No way to test them efficiently , so we'll see next ..

4 - One TV-DVD player Sony with broken screen ..

5 - One laptop Toshiba Satellite P200 . No power , no leds , nothing , i suspect the LSxxxx ...
Old 06-21-2018, 11:21 PM   #2091
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Quote:
A cheap ebay score on 2 very rare CPU's.... Coppermine 1100/100 (SL5QW) FCPGA processors. They usually sell for ~$100-ish per CPU, I got the pair for a BIN under $30 shipped, new listing, the seller didn't know what he had. With a couple slot-1 adapters, these will roar a retro rig in an Asus P2B-D!
Well this one turned out to be a bust.... USPS and their infinite stupidity lost one of the processors....so I'll have to keep an eye open for another one.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #2092
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Quote:
Well this one turned out to be a bust.... USPS and their infinite stupidity lost one of the processors....so I'll have to keep an eye open for another one.
How does that happen?!? Were the CPUs shipped in two separate packages? If so, maybe the other one will come "a little later".

BTW, I have two 1 GHz matched P3s, but they are the 133 MHz FSP versions, I think - i.e. not that special. I got them some 8 years ago or so from a local guy on CL for $1 each! And a 20 GB Seagate Baracuda ATA IV for $2 - small HDD and not that fast, but they're so damn reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiroy View Post
1 - 2 laptops Hp dv5 with different damages .. Great to repair one third missing some components .
These never stop coming to you, do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiroy View Post
3 - One box of laptop batteries , some 40 ones .. No way to test them efficiently , so we'll see next ..
All the non-genuine ones....
or just throw them in a fire and watch the light show

As for my somewhat recent free/shit scores.... sorry I mean free/*cheap* scores :
Found a Netgear SC101 network storage device - ancient box thing with two slots inside for 3.5" IDE HDDs. No power adapter for it, but it takes 12V so no biggie. Still haven't cleaned it or tested it. Looks a little beat up. And frankly, I don't know if something this old is even useful these days, at least when it comes to network storage at home.

The better score, however, is that I also found some arrows in the same trash can next to it... as in arrows made for bow. I already have a home-made PVC bow, so this could be interesting. Just need to make some improvements to it, as it's extremely hard to pull right now (I'm guesstimating over 60-80 LBS of force, if not more - i.e. way too much to pull by hand easily).

Last edited by momaka; 06-22-2018 at 11:43 AM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #2093
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
How does that happen?!? Were the CPUs shipped in two separate packages? If so, maybe the other one will come "a little later".

BTW, I have two 1 GHz matched P3s, but they are the 133 MHz FSP versions, I think - i.e. not that special. I got them some 8 years ago or so from a local guy on CL for $1 each! And a 20 GB Seagate Baracuda ATA IV for $2 - small HDD and not that fast, but they're so damn reliable.
They came from 2 different sellers.

This is for an Asus P2b-D, trusty BX chipset, but hates 133FSB. These were 1100/100 CPU's, not easy to find cheap.... It still boggles my mind how they lose shit.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #2094
kc8adu
Super Moderator

City & State: dayton ohio
My Country: U.S.A!
Line Voltage: 12vdc,120/240vac,480vac 3ph on my bench

retro score.
recycling dropoffs.
this is just one box out of this big load.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180620_174815.jpg (394.5 KB, 23 views)
kc8adu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:50 AM   #2095
Dan81
SNES-powered

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Got a Super Socket 7 motherboard with missing MOSFETs and two caps missing.

Recapped it, added the fets back and it works!

It's an Azza PT-5VMD, and the CPU under the HSF in the photo (I've since replaced that fan because it was too loud) is a Pentium 166 (non-MMX) I found in one of my boxes along with an AMD K5-PR100, a K6-2 400MHz (that killed a set of fets before, so it's junk sadly), and a Pentium 200 MMX that I have to fiddle around with to get it to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg board.jpg (445.0 KB, 7 views)
DFI Lanparty DK P45-T2RS, Intel Xeon X5450 3.00GHz, Sapphire Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3, 8GB DDR2-800, LiteOn DVD-RW drive, RPC 500LBL 500W (rebuilt), AVerMedia Super 009 TV tuner, Samsung HD103SI 1TB, noname black case

Last edited by Dan81; 06-23-2018 at 05:52 AM..
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #2096
jiroy
Badcaps Veteran

[QUOTE=momaka;834519]

These never stop coming to you, do they?

[QUOTE]

Never say never , lol , yep Momaka; .. Very sad for Hp once reputation !! . If Hp ever wanna redeem it , they must bring back Sockets for VGAs , and easily available VGAs of course , but what can i say .. I hear hp 'who cares' , lol ..

Yes , I have a huge reserve of HPs crap , and sadly , never one Hp standard piece was asked , as all meet the same end . Yet , I can still benefit from CPUs , Rams , Screens , HDs and Dvd writers , and spare parts ..

You know what is the saddest part ? .. I don't even test them anymore

Quote:

All the non-genuine ones....
or just throw them in a fire and watch the light show

Well , this week was a lucky one , two of them were sold as used and was surprised they were very good ..
Those came from a dear friend , so better wait and see ..

Have a nice day Momaka
Old 06-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #2097
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8adu View Post
retro score.
recycling dropoffs.
this is just one box out of this big load.
Kind of strange 'drop-off' items....depending on what's in those boxes.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #2098
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:

trusty BX chipset, but hates 133FSB.
Sounds just like Via KT133, LOL (That's why all my T-birds were 100 Mhz FSB, except for a 1.4 that was given to me in 2005 or around there, but believe it was 2005)

Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-23-2018 at 06:12 PM..
Old 06-24-2018, 06:35 AM   #2099
kc8adu
Super Moderator

City & State: dayton ohio
My Country: U.S.A!
Line Voltage: 12vdc,120/240vac,480vac 3ph on my bench

4 kt7-raid with bad caps.
some socket 7 and a 386.
i have a few more boxes to go through.
funny thing is the kt7 i grabbed at random and recapped has a modded bios.
stuff with isa is always a welcome dropoff.
those kt7 work nice in the deckel tool grinders.

Quote:
Kind of strange 'drop-off' items....depending on what's in those boxes.
kc8adu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #2100
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8adu View Post
4 kt7-raid with bad caps.
some socket 7 and a 386.
i have a few more boxes to go through.
funny thing is the kt7 i grabbed at random and recapped has a modded bios.
stuff with isa is always a welcome dropoff.
those kt7 work nice in the deckel tool grinders.
I've got a couple kt7's I have no plans for. What ya got to trade?