Shuttle XPC SN68SG2 Badcaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shuttle XPC SN68SG2 Badcaps

I just successfully replaced two 1800uf caps that blew on my Shuttle XPC SN68SG2 motherboard. This morning the system wouldn't start - after replacing the caps it works perfectly.

Thanks for all the info and advice here!

Re: Shuttle XPC SN68SG2 Badcaps

You only replaced the two bulged ones? NEVER do that. always replace all of the caps, bulged or not for 2 reasons:

1. Even if the other caps haven't failed yet, they aren't far off and
    2. It is common for caps to fail with no visible signs
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
      2. It is common for caps to fail with no visible signs
      I've seen that happen too. Depending on the colour of the capacitor sleeve, it may become discoloured or even shrink under the right circumstances.
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

So, I have an SN68SG2 like the original poster. When I first got the board it wouldn't power up with the first power on but after the 4 second hard power off it would run like a champ. But, it never would run with full memory speed. Now under a load it will lock hard. I've got 33 standard caps and 13 polymer caps. The standard caps run from 1800uF to 10uF and the polymers run from 820uF to 330uF.

My question is this: Do I really need to replace all of them or should I just replace the bigger capacatance capacitors (4 1500uF, 9 1000uF, and 2 1800uF)? The smaller standard caps are 10 16v 100uF and 8 2.5v 10uF. The polymer caps are 10 - 2.5v 820uF and 3 16v 330uF.

Thanks for your help in advance.

- Adam

Comment

I would replace all the standard ones 470uf and up. The poly caps are probably around the CPU, correct? I would leave those alone. Also check the supply.

Comment

Just to recap (pardon the pun), I did replace all the capacitors that were 470 and up (with one exception, I'll get to that at the end).

Prior to the cap replacement I could not get my memory to run at the rated DDR2-800 speed and after it runs at the full rated speed. Also, during periods of high disk+cpu+memory operations it would lock up and require a hard reboot (StarCraft2 campaign loading process). Now, it's rock solid and has not crashed once.

I did not replace the capacitor between the PCI and PCIE slot because I couldn't completely read the label. Could it be a 470uF 16v capacitor?

Comment

Hey guys, just signed up here to post that I successfully replaced two bulging 1800uf caps on my Shuttle SN68SG2. Got a pair of Nichicon caps from local electronics store for buck apiece. Practiced on an old motherboard using Hakko 936 then did the deed on the real thing. Feels damn good when the thing posted and booted right up.

Before:
              The system had suddenly started to shutdown 3 sec after power on when a pcix graphics card was installed. It would boot with the integrated video, but I need the card for hdmi. I thought it was flex psu since it did boot with a ATX desktop psu. By chance, I stumbled on a shuttle forums thread saying to check the caps and sure enough they were bulging.

After:
              Running stock Ubuntu w/XBMC. System seems stable for now. I may go back and recap the rest of the board if any more bulges show or any weird instabilities happen. I did overheat my hakko tip (it turned blue) but that's small price to pay for successful repair.

Also I'm not sure if the Nichicon caps I used are "Ultra Low ESR" as I'm just now reading here on the forums that there's a difference between the off generic the shelf Radio Shack vs. PC motherboard caps.

Comment

Another SN68SG2 here... did the bad thing a few years ago and just replaced the two 1800uf caps, they have gone all bulgy and fail-like again. Is there a list of the caps that would have been in the kit available?

Comment

Originally posted by minusp View Post
                  Another SN68SG2 here... did the bad thing a few years ago and just replaced the two 1800uf caps, they have gone all bulgy and fail-like again. Is there a list of the caps that would have been in the kit available?
                  The kit for these PCs... replace all OST caps in the computer that are 220 uF and up. These machines run hot and often cook the caps. Open your PSU as well and check it. May have bad caps in there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    Open your PSU as well and check it. May have bad caps in there as well.
                    Definitely this, particularly if you've replaced the caps before and the new ones bulge too. Some Shuttles actually run cooler than you'd expect, but the PSUs are all cramped little heat boxes. Throw in some CapXon or similar caps, and things are going to go wrong

Comment

Working...
                    X