• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Windows License Agreement.

Hrmm,

This Microsoft PDF seems to say SpiceWorks people might be right:

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...daf6212184.pdf

What do you think Diif? Even though it's written for 10, it specifically mentions 7 Pro and Enterprise edition, along with 8, 8.1, and Server....
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Re: New Windows License Agreement.

Okay,

So I did a one hour sixteen minute conference call with one of my VARs and one of his Microsoft team players. My VAR is a very large VAR (Insight) and my guy helps a lot.

Anyway, we have on the residential side:
      A Linux Desktop running CentOS 7
      A Windows 10 Home Laptop
      Two Android Smart phones

All of these will be interacting with the virtual machines running Windows 10 Enterprise and / or Workstation running Windows 10 Enterprise.

On the business side, we have:
      One server, running CentOS 7 as the host OS, with KVM as a hyper-visor, and we'll have three Windows 10 Enterprise VMs and a bunch of CentOS VMs.

One Workstation (Thanks to a Mr. TopCat :-P) that will be running Windows 10 Enterprise. All of the Windows machines will be running Office 365 ProPlus.

This is what we need and how much it's gonna cost to keep us 100% legal:
      2 Windows Pro OEM editions with stickers that haven't been used before (7 or higher). This is just to qualify us to upgrade the physical workstation to Enterprise and my wife's laptop to Enterprise. We can buy this ourselves but right now, our VAR is looking for a copy. He can get things much cheaper than we can, so hopefully, he can score OEM and maybe an upgrade copy cheap like.

Then we need:
      Code:
       1 Windows 10 Enterprise E3 VDA License
       2 Windows 10 Enterprise E3 licenses
       2 Office 365 ProPlus licenses.
      The licenses are user based, which gives us like four accounts, Admin, Guest, my wife, and me. We can install Office 365 ProPlus on as many machines as we want. We can use any of the devices listed above to connect remotely to the server or the VMs or the workstation.

We were going to go with 7 Pro because we do NOT like the 10 telemetry, but as it turns out, with Enterprise, we can turn it off completely real easy like, and that's what we'll be doing.

If we find we can't, we still have downgrade rights and can downgrade to an older OS, including 8 / 8.1 (yuck), or 7 Pro.

It's going to cost us 64.02$ a month.

I don't think that's too horrible, do you guys? And this way, we're 100% legal.

But damn! Most of the Microsoft reps I talked to didn't even know how to do it! One said we could just install Windows Pro OEM or Retail in the VMs and were good to go! Same with Office Pro! And that was a guy from the business site!!!!

Another one said we could just upgrade the 7 Pro OEM we have on the workstation to 10 Enterprise, even though we didn't have the key and the key was originally tied to another machine. That's a big no! Glad I asked on that!!!!!

So the next step is to see the accountant, and then I think we'll be good. Still gotta pick out my PDU, but I'm leaning towards the vertical one, not the horizontal.
      -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Working...
      X