acer 5920 g blinking power adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: acer 5920 g blinking power adapter

OK guys. I fixed it after many hours and nervs lost. It was PC74 capacitor in short circuit. It is located near cardreader on status LEDs side of PCB on 5920G. It is same size and type(visually) capacitor as ones that are near memslots PC112, PC118 etc.
    Tank you all for hints...

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, I just fixed another 5920g, the bad capacitor was PC24, located next to the drive connector on the top side of the PCB.

ps. the info about the modem was a savior!!!

Comment

Hello,

can I plug in the power connector to the naked mainboard to test it? Or could something be damaged, because the heat sink isn't installed?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by drunkenmunky View Post
          Hello,

can I plug in the power connector to the naked mainboard to test it? Or could something be damaged, because the heat sink isn't installed?

Thanks in advance!
          I would advise against that.
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I read that it's not possible every time to measure if a cap is shorted or not. Or does a good capacitance meter (rcl meter) check it reliable?

So I have to built it together completely to check if it works? Or is there another way to test the functionality?

Comment

Ive got this problem too my mate a dad did fix it something with the power supply. Was running fine then went off after a month or so of working fine again. Took it too a diff guy he said i need a new motherboard but have no idea on his knowledge of computers i mean if it was just bad caps why didnt he try replace them? So i would like too test them myself on my acer 5920g. What machine do i need am esr metre for around 80£? Ive also bought a same spec and model number laptop as the one im using too try n swap the drives over if i cannot fix mine. But hopefully i can fix mine. Im not good at soldering but my friends dad could do that as he did own his own repair shop.
              You can only get better by playing a better opponent. Teach me.

Comment

My replacememt laptop i bought arrived today i tried too get the same model n number as the one that has the blinking led power supply problem, so if i took my drive from mine and fit it in this other one would it work okay? As i have a few dj comps comimg up and dont have the tools too fix my brokem one just now. Not sure if there might be a few problems with drivers n registry's and boot. Any tips?

Comment

buy a cheap multimeter. there is already a thread of possible acer 5920g capacitors that can be fault. just put in diode mode. mainboard withoud any power. black to a metal spot. the red to each side of a cap. if bot side are shorted, try remove it and see if short is cone.

best to start from coils however.

Comment

Thanks ill just searching for more posts on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ablacon64 View Post
                      Does the LCD lamp works?
                      Try to press fn+F5 to switch to external monitor.
                      Hai, it seems u r much qualified, pl help me to sort out my problm.i hv acer 5920g, it got nvidea p407 failed last year, it repaird by rebolling and I used it 1 more year.now it again failed and no more reballing was successful. It was nvidea p406 ver 1.3.so I bought old working p407 but with ver 1.5 .tested on other notebook working.ok.i fit on my acer 5920g buy it takes 6 restarts to no video at all..I later noted that modem is missing. I tried without modem to external monitor no result.fn+5 no result..connected tv too still no result I got only white screen.i resembled after dissembling..backgroud I hear w7 welcome sound and alt+f4 enter shut it correctly.
                      1.can acer 5920g give video output without modem..I hv missing. ?
                      2.6 times restarts do not bother me..is new video card I bought p407 ver1.5(previous I hd ver 1.3).no compatible..it does not give video too..
                      Any help greatly appreciated. Thx

Comment

Just about to try and tackle this but can't find said capacitors - anyone have a picture with them highlighted?

Comment

A quick way to test for shorted components on the main power rail is to connect a lab power supply to the charger jack and increase voltage until current is around 2A. Leave for a minute or so and feel the parts on the board will your finger - something will be getting hot.
                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

It was PC112 - replaced with a similar cap (didn't have exact value so took off scrap board) and all is well. Thank you!
                            Last edited by artois7; 12-05-2014, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                              A quick way to test for shorted components on the main power rail is to connect a lab power supply to the charger jack and increase voltage until current is around 2A. Leave for a minute or so and feel the parts on the board will your finger - something will be getting hot.
                              i got a cheap crap bollox psu that looks like you can adjust but i can`t it just show how much it takes sad day; dooow i did learn stuff with it!
                              Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

im going to buy this lab psu:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/360687892687?...84.m1427.l2649

send the 52+7€ approval. if seller accept it will be mine

looks like this lab psu is the most cloned on internet. they are all almost the same

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
                                  im going to buy this lab psu:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/360687892687?...84.m1427.l2649

send the 52+7€ approval. if seller accept it will be mine

looks like this lab psu is the most cloned on internet. they are all almost the same
                                  i got the same! OMG other name though maybe same crap inside

Comment

is your working fine ?

i told you they are all coned... and varios name rebrand

Comment

yeeee NO!
                                      can`t adjust the Amps

i saw something made in germany but its only 15v and 2amps but ... you know made in germany
                                      Last edited by dj_ricoh; 12-05-2014, 02:55 PM.

Comment

if u cant change ampere, change it. it is broken i suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
                                          if u cant change ampere, change it. it is broken i suppose.
                                          i was noob and now its late to change it

Comment

Working...
                                          X