Windows 7 and 8th Gen Processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 7 and 8th Gen Processors

Well, I enabled RAID in the BIOS and now the SSD drive appears.
    AND, I've managed to get Intel Rapid Storage working with the SSD set for acceleration cache on my primary HDD. (to do THAT I had to delete the partitions on the SSD so that it was unallocated - this was necessary for iRST to want to use the drive for acceleration.)
    Last edited by BGM; 04-02-2018, 05:18 PM.

Comment

I know it's been awhile since I've posted here. I've been using this setup for about a year and a half now, and I experience some input lag every day - the only thing I can do is to shut down various programs and hope something triggers a release of the lag - it doesn't seem to matter what programs.

Also, the entire computer freezes up probably once a month or so - my three monitors are all frozen and no input does anything at all - I just have to shut it down cold and reboot it.

Also, I cannot upgrade the bios past version 10 (the original release) without the updated bios telling me the raid configuration is invalid.

I am just posting again to see if anyone has any tips on how to make this board and proc play better with Windows 7.

To summarize again: I'm running Windows 7 x64 Pro on an MSI Z370 PC Pro board with an Intel i5-8600K with no overclocking.
      Last edited by BGM; 08-14-2019, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BGM View Post
        Also, I cannot upgrade the bios past version 10 (the original release) without the updated bios telling me the raid configuration is invalid.
        This may be a pedantic warning. Unless you know, for a fact, that you've set them up in a RAID configuration, they may be treated as JBOD but the BIOS wants to complain because they AREN'T in a RAID configuration (and it assumes you would be using RAID).

If you have a spare machine, pull the drives and add them (as secondary drives) to the spare machine to verify that there is nothing magical about the way they are partitioned, etc. I.e., that their contents ARE accessible on other machines "as is".

Then, update the BIOS and see if you can configure the drives there as "non-RAID" (if they are, in fact, NOT part of an array).

If push comes to shove, you may have to tinker with the new BIOS to get it to a point where it will accept the nonRAID drives AS nonRAID. But, your data should still be intact (cuz you've got a backup built from the drives as they WERE)

I am just posting again to see if anyone has any tips on how to make this board and proc play better with Windows 7.
        No doubt you've got some service that is misbehaving. You could try disabling them one at a time.

I suspect iRST is responsible for REALLY long delays when I want to eject a removable medium on my boxes.

Comment

My drives are not part of any RAID array. The only thing is the SSD drive used for IRST acceleration.

I have two HDDs. The one with C drive is not partitioned. The other one is partitioned normally in two parts. There is no dual boot or anything special besides IRST.

I do have an nvme disk, but I don't use it for anything except for storage for Waterfox and Thunderbird (hoping they will run faster on it).

Do you think that the BIOS is just getting reset when I upgrade bios versions? When I reinstall v10 everything works fine, even if I flash v10 over v17.

If there is a service causing the glitching, I'll never find it. I've been running the same configuration for 10 years, and have poured over extraneous services and startups to try and keep things trimmed up.

MSI support said I might try this: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...ity-Intel-XTU-
          Last edited by BGM; 08-14-2019, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BGM View Post
            My drives are not part of any RAID array. The only thing is the SSD drive used for IRST acceleration.
            So, the drives SHOULD be accessible if transplanted to another machine (or, mounted in an external USB carrier and lugged to another machine). There SHOULDN'T be anything "magical" scribbled onto the media that the BIOS "requires" that would make it think they were "foreign" drives (i.e., in need of initialization -- which would trash your data)

Do you think that the BIOS is just getting reset when I upgrade bios versions? When I reinstall v10 everything works fine, even if I flash v10 over v17.
            I have no idea. I've just, too often, seen examples of software where the software developer has imposed his/her "assumptions" on the software that complicates or confounds its intended use.

It could be that it ASSUMES you're configured as a RAID -- even though there is no EVIDENCE to support that conclusion. Or, it could be that it resets some BIOS settings when the upgrade is installed and you have to manually "un-reset" them afterwards.

Scour the release notes for clues.

The issue is: what will it do to your DATA in the meantime?

If upgrading the BIOS is your true goal (i.e., you definitely want to do it -- for whatever reasons), then you have to worry that you may not be able to "downgrade" it, at a later date.

If you're cool with that, then pull the drives and verify they can be accessed on another machine (e.g., in external USB docks or manually installing them "inside" another machine). The goal is to ensure you can get at their contents in the event that the drives are treated as "foreign" by the upgraded BIOS.

[A current backup will also serve this purpose!]

Do the BIOS upgrade and hope. If you can't get the BIOS configuration to a state where it will accept the drives "as they were", then you'll just have to act as if you have a brand new machine and you're installing the OS from scratch (consider any other purchased licenses that may be at stake!).

This has a few advantages:
            • if any problems were BIOS related, then you've CHANGED that and might benefit from that change.
            • if some registry setting got clobbered in the past, you're starting with a clean Registry instance
            • ditto any software upgrades that may have broken your system

As you are rebuilding the system, you can test whatever behaviour is evidencing the "lockups" (assuming it is fairly repeatable) and see WHEN the problem gets introduced. Then, decide if you can fix the culprit or live without it.

If there is a service causing the glitching, I'll never find it. I've been running the same configuration for 10 years, and have poured over extraneous services and startups to try and keep things trimmed up.
            Note that it may not be a "corrupted" service. Rather, something in your system configuration (hardware OR software) may have changed to TICKLE a latent bug in a service.

I've had two instances of defective MICE causing two different systems to "stall" during use. Not just mouse pointer stalling but actual application stalls. I'm guessing that the mice were "uttering nonsense" and the mouse driver was getting confused trying to make sense of it all. Or, reporting too many events to the application layer and that software couldn't make sense of it.

Unplug mice. Replace. Problem goes away (not even requiring a reboot!)

Moral of story: there are lots of things interacting with your machine every minute of every day. Those things may have changed, over time. (assuming you're clean of malware) The software (typically services and daemons) has to respond to them all -- possibly in ways that they haven't had to, before.

MSI support said I might try this: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...ity-Intel-XTU-
            <shrug> That seems like another trip down the "install THIS before you can use THAT" distraction.

Have you looked through your logs to verify there aren't other errors that Windows is hiding from you in it's "benevolence"? E.g., if your disk is throwing errors, the machine will stutter.

Comment

Working...
            X