Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Emachines T3256

Originally posted by Mustang
    Thanks for the tip! I'll test it out. I can understand that could be the problem since the onboard graphics does use system memory.
    It's a stick of Samsung 512mb pc3200.
    It's a chipset problem due to the integrated graphics I think.

After the board and the PSU were recapped, everything was stable abeit slow. The PSU has been replaced recently with a checked Seasonic and all is running well but slow.

My conclusion is integrated graphics will limit any memory or graphics upgrades on this particular board.

Comment

There is a PDF at nvidia's website that details the 166MHz-memory, 200MHz-cpu limitation of that chipset, 23Meg PDF IIRC...
      Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang
        The factory bios is "idiot proof" but that didn't deter the quest for a "real" bios . www.emachineupgraders.info has a good "hacked" bios that opens up the normal settings we're used to. PSU was recapped till my coworker has enough cash to buy a new one. Board runs ok but the southbridge and the addon ATI 9600 vid card are running hot.
        Very sorry for bringing up a few month old thread, but Google led me here and I could really use this modified AU31 BIOS. But that link is down. Did anyone happen to save it or know where I could get it?

Thank you.

Comment

That site is no longer available the owner shut it down, too bad it was the greatest eMachines link I've ever seen...

They do however have a forum: http://s2.invisionfree.com/emachineupgraders/

The bios is probably available there...

Good Luck

MD

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Let me find that BIOS and host it for you. Linky as soon as I get it uploaded

Comment

413 256k BIOS or for the 512k BIOS
              432L BIOS

Comment

Hi!

Originally posted by MD Willington
                That site is no longer available the owner shut it down, too bad it was the greatest eMachines link I've ever seen...
                FYI, it looks like owner changed h(is/er) mind or it was a temporary shut down because the site is up...

Have a nice day!

Nick

PS: I don't have an eMachine but I agree with you that the site seems to have a lot of good infos on them...

Comment

With that machine, I'd sell the CPU and buy a 939 Sempron and motherboard with the money when he can afford a new PSU. Those 3200+s are like gold.
                  You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                  Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Yes they are indeed, when 2500+ fetch up to almost $95.00 AUD, a 3200+ can hit almost $180.00 AUD or more

FIC usually make a fairly good product (at least they used to), but this unit seems to get a lot of complaints, going by the troubleshooting sections of various forums
                    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Interesting those CPU's are worth more than when purchased new. What's the value of a 2500XP-M these days? I wouldn't mind selling one of those if I can offset the cost of an upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Knight
                        Hi!

FYI, it looks like owner changed h(is/er) mind or it was a temporary shut down because the site is up...

Have a nice day!

Nick

PS: I don't have an eMachine but I agree with you that the site seems to have a lot of good infos on them...
                        That's great... Plenty of those machines around... !

Comment

Well i a AU31 motherboard from work out of a Emachine (dont remember what model it was) and i have a AMD XP 2800+ and 2 DDR PC 2100 256mb and the system was running fine and memory was running at 266mhz except that the CPU was only rinning at 2.0 instead of 2.2 so i just figured it was the ram. I got my hands on 1 DDR PC2700 512mb and 1 DDR PC3200 512mb ram chips. I installed the 2 new ram chips and now the system only reads the CPU at 1247 @ 200mhz with the memory at 333mhz. So i found this theard and got the BIOS from here. The BIOS was the TCB413 because i have a 256k bios. SO i flashed the BIOS using the program WinFlash and now the system will not boot. It comes to the FIC splash screen (insted of the old "E" logo) and it just sits there. I did backup my old BIOS before flasshing to the new one bit it is not doing me any good since i cant boot off of a floppy.

How can i reflash the bios to my old one so i can get the system to boot again?

Thanks for the help
                          cookiemonster[MoA]

Comment

Originally posted by cookiemonster[MoA]
                            Well i a AU31 motherboard from work out of a Emachine (dont remember what model it was) and i have a AMD XP 2800+ and 2 DDR PC 2100 256mb and the system was running fine and memory was running at 266mhz except that the CPU was only rinning at 2.0 instead of 2.2 so i just figured it was the ram. I got my hands on 1 DDR PC2700 512mb and 1 DDR PC3200 512mb ram chips. I installed the 2 new ram chips and now the system only reads the CPU at 1247 @ 200mhz with the memory at 333mhz. So i found this theard and got the BIOS from here. The BIOS was the TCB413 because i have a 256k bios. SO i flashed the BIOS using the program WinFlash and now the system will not boot. It comes to the FIC splash screen (insted of the old "E" logo) and it just sits there. I did backup my old BIOS before flasshing to the new one bit it is not doing me any good since i cant boot off of a floppy.

How can i reflash the bios to my old one so i can get the system to boot again?

Thanks for the help
                            cookiemonster[MoA]

I think your best bet at this point is a reflash using your floppy drive. Grab the proper bios from the emachines website as well as the right version of awdflash. You'll need to make a boot disk with awdflash.exe and the bios.bin file. Obviously using another pc. Before the reflash, disconnect power from the pc and clear the cmos. Flash the bios, shut down the pc and clear the cmos again. When it reboots you should be able to get in the bios setup. Please run just 1 stick of ram and not the mismatched set before attempting any of this. It's always a dangerous proposition reflashing bios's especially when your pc is having "issues"..moreso using the windows interface to reflash.

Comment

I have tryed that but it wont pass the FIC splash screen.

Comment

Does it say anything like "Press Alt + F2" (or whatever) to enter awdflash?

Otherwise there is also a bootblock that allows you to flash but I have never figured out how to access that; except when the computer does it itself because it can not find the rest of the BIOS (corruption)
                                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Well Winflash isn`t the safest flashing tool IMHO. I have one bad experiences with it on a nv4 board, so i never use it.
                                  Have you already tried CMOS clear with psu switched of or unpluged? If not try this first.
                                  Normaly a badflashed biuos won`t com up anywhere.

Comment

Per Hansson,
                                    It did not say anything. If i hit DEL. it still does nothing but show the splash screen.If i do hit the F9 key it does say "Entering Setup" at the bottom left corner but it will just sit there. I did get it into the BIOS once but it was frozen. It seems like the system is freezing because if i hit the Num Lock or Cap Lock buttons on the keyboard neather of the lights o not come on.

gonzo0815,
                                    Well i will never use that program again eather. I normaly flash with a floppy but i gess i got lazy,LOL. I have done the CMOS meny times with all power plugs off, battery off, using the CMOS jumper and still nothing.

Comment

Repeatedly hit "Insert" when booting, on some mobos this causes the BIOS to set lowest speed for CPU and memory...
                                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Tryed that and still nothing

Comment

I hate to say it but...sounds like your bios is hosed

Comment

Working...
                                          X