Clevo LP200C loose cap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clevo LP200C loose cap!

This is an old all in one pc, the owner was complaining about opera and internet explorer hanging and the system was slow, xp home intel 866 and 512mb ram. Whilst cleaning the fan with air I noticed a cap moving (c310 on the left). Looks like I'll have to strip the pc down and resolder it, the pc was running when I got it, lets hope resoldering the cap doesn't end up a dead pc, explain that to the owner!

Re: Clevo LP200C loose cap!

not to mention they are all bad caps, taicon and what looks like jamicon or something else.

That is also probalby why it was hanging and being slow. Taicon can be bad with no signs.

BTW that cap is probalby not broken off, it is positioned in a way that it can wiggle about if you move it side to side. Notice the solid white under it and the half white under the middle one. The middle will move like that too if you wiggle them closer and away from the cpu.
    Last edited by 370forlife; 08-04-2009, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Its a loose cap, it'll be interesting when I see the other side of the board and it ain't getting recapped, almost a museum piece.

Comment

Chances this one loose cap usually have many that will about to have bad solder joints as well on these capacitors. See about it will you just to be sure?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Won't tempt fate, I'll only resolder the loose cap.

Comment

Last year I recapped an ancient ASUS motherboard, it had a Celeron 466MHz processor and PC100 RAM!

It surprisingly had Sanyo 1000uf 6.3V capacitors (it was made during the capacitor plague era), I replaced them all with Nichicon 1000uf 6.3V caps. The original caps were still good.

I did that because that computer is actually still is use by someone, and it was good practice.
            My gaming PC:
            AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
            ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
            PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
            G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
            TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
            WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
            ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
            Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
            Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
            Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
            Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Resoldered cap, time will tell if there's any improvement.

Comment

any update?
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2 View Post
                  Last year I recapped an ancient ASUS motherboard, it had a Celeron 466MHz processor and PC100 RAM!
                  Probably BEFORE the cap plague. The cap plague seemed to not start until at least 2000 (or probably like December, 1999, lol) (EXCEPT for some socket 370 motherboards)

Bad caps NOT likely with the majority of late 1990s motherboards.

The 1990s was the time when things were almost always made better. And during that decade, most PCs didn't need loud fans to prevent frying.

And the worst ones appear to have been made in 2000 and 2001, maybe 2002.
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 08-04-2010, 06:22 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                    Probably BEFORE the cap plague. The cap plague seemed to not start until at least 2000.

Bad caps NOT likely with late 1990s motherboards.

The 1990s was the time when things were almost always made better. And during that decade, most PCs didn't need loud fans to prevent frying.

And the worst ones appear to have been made in 2000 and 2001, maybe 2002.
                    This is not the case necessarily. You can find 486 and Pentium motherboards as well as AT power supplies with Teapo caps. Teap was around for a while.

It was only when CPUs were going over 450mhz or so that the greater heat output caused the inferior products to show their weakness.

But they were perfectly adequate for the older stuff in fact you can even find old EISA and ISA cards with cheapo caps.
                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                      This is not the case necessarily. You can find 486 and Pentium motherboards as well as AT power supplies with Teapo caps. Teap was around for a while.

It was only when CPUs were going over 450mhz or so that the greater heat output caused the inferior products to show their weakness.

But they were perfectly adequate for the older stuff in fact you can even find old EISA and ISA cards with cheapo caps.
                      486s? LOL. It seems like 99 percent of them were made like tanks! And about cheap caps being put on stuff that hardly use power -> I could see that.

But in the 1990s, most stuff were built like tanks, IIRC.

And Teapo caps seem to not be that bad. At least not bad like the GSCs on Epoxes.

In fact, Teapo seems to be better than Fuhjyyu (typically encountered on CWT-made Antec PSUs)
                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 08-04-2010, 06:32 PM.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

There are about 8+ capacitor plagues depending on how you count.
                        Off the top of my head....

1] Low Quality Aluminum in CH and TW caps.
                        - Has always been a problem for decades and still is. - Ongoing problem.

2] Caps with the stolen formula Electrolyte.
                        - CH and TW caps made from 2001 to about 2005.

3] HN and HM overfill issue.
                        - 2001 thru 2004

4] Excessive heat in small form factor cases.
                        - Ongoing problem.

5] Heat issues with KZG and KZJ even in normal cases.
                        - Ongoing problem.

6] Sacon FZ that look like Solid Polymer.
                        - Ongoing problem. Technically this a specific example of #1.

7] Use of 85C caps on mobos.
                        - Presumably an ongoing problem.

8] Counterfeit caps.
                        - Ongoing problem.

~~

Teapo buys their electrolyte from Japan but they use CH or TW sources for their Aluminum and Aluminum foil so their quality varies with the Aluminum they get.
                        - Teapo has plague #1 and always did.
                        Old boards didn't stress the caps enough to cause the failure [in the life of the board] very often but those caps still had the poor grade Aluminum.

Same-same with most [if not all] CW and TW brands.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

The number 6 makes me pissed! Because I have FZs on my eVGA e GeForce 7600 GS AGP!

And the other AGP video card, another GeForce 4 Ti (Not the one I had a while ago) that I got from a PC part recycling facility, is dead now.

And the caps look like better ones, it has Sanyo OSCON caps. Also has what looks like polymers with a black stripe and at least 1 with a green stripe.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

I've seen the FZ with both blue and black ink. [Not on the same cap of course.]
                            The blue look like Chemicon Poly [same shade of blue even] and the black look like Nichicon Poly.
                            I don't think it was a coincidence...
                            Mann-Made Global Warming.
                            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

Working...
                            X