EPoX EP-8RDA+ - Non Working Condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EPoX EP-8RDA+ - Non Working Condition

The 8RDA+ was a rather uneventful recap. Everything went smooth.

I used 12.5mm, 2200uF, 10v Panasonic FM caps again and had no problem. I propped them up with a stem of a Q-tip to keep them from (possibly) touching other contacts on the board.

The 3300uf, 6.3v x 10.0mm caps were Sanyo WG so they were left alone. The 1500uf, 6.3v x 10.0mm caps were replaced with same diameter Panasonic FM parts. I was afraid that the Panasonic 1000uf, 6.3v x 8.0mm caps would be too tall and would interfere with other components, so instead i used Rubycon MCZ. 470uf, 16.0v x 8.0mm caps are now Rubycon MBZ (because i didn't have anything else).

I think i've given away all of my 'Socket A' CPU's. Time to check ebay again.

Comment

Doesn't work.

Could the row of Sanyos that i left have something to do with it?

Post Code is '7F'

Switch back to test mode if full screen logo is supported
      -If errors occur, report errors & wait for keys
      -If no errors occur or F1 key is pressed to continue:

Clear EPA or customization logo

No post. No nothing.

If it fails just before video gets involved should i suspect caps closest the Northbridge? I'm assuming that is a power issue.

Comment

Change the 470uF back to 1000uF
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Back to....?

The originals in those locations were 470uF, 16v.

Comment

Sorry I read your post wrong...
            I read...
            ...... that the Panasonic 1000uf, 6.3v x 8.0mm caps would be too tall and would interfere with other components, so instead i used Rubycon MCZ. 470uf, 16.0v ........

I missed the period..

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

All GSC 470uF, 16v caps (in red) were replaced with Rubycon MBZ 470uF, 16v.
              All GSC 1000uF, 6.3v caps (in blue) were replaced with Rubycon MCZ 1000uF, 10v.

*I see the confusion above.

--edit--

Beat me to it.

Comment

What are the green ones with the X vents?

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

TEAPO if it is like any other Epox mobo
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I have an Epox with TAYEH all over it.
                    Same colors as the green Teapo.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Tayeh.....Teapo.... Unfortunately they are both the same. Absolute Garbage!

Comment

Originally posted by shadow
                        Tayeh.....Teapo.... Unfortunately they are both the same. Absolute Garbage!
                        Not really. I went through 34 Epox boards (24 8k7a's and 10 KL-133M's) mostly containing either GSC, Teapos, or Tayehs on them. GSC's were always bad, Tayehs were usually bad, but none of the Teapo boards were. I recapped them anyway, but they're not nearly as problematic as Tayeh or most of the other non-Japanese brands.

Comment

Since you're getting a partial post, I'd suspect maybe it's something that could clear up with a different power supply. I'm not sure about the 8RDA, but some of Epox's other boards have some unusually slanted requirements for the 5V rail, causing some generally good power supplies to not work well with those boards.
                          Does it help if you reduce the FSB, ram, or otherwise minimize the load?
                          Also, I've noticed some boards from that time period (and maybe onward) won't finish POSTing with a PCI video card, just in case you happen to be using one.

I don't have the codes in front of me, but I think your memory must be working or it would have stopped at C1 or something similar. Processor is fine or there would have been no codes at all.

Comment

Also, I've noticed some boards from that time period (and maybe onward) won't finish POSTing with a PCI video card, just in case you happen to be using one.
                            I was wondering that myself, so last night i pulled the AGP card out of my 8RGA, but it didn't help either.

The 8RGA is a previous board i recapped that is rock solid.

some of Epox's other boards have some unusually slanted requirements for the 5V rail
                            It's funny but the 8RGA has that extra 4-pin connector near the ATX connector while this latest 8RDA+ doesn't have one. I wonder if EPoX had an issue with early boards that was solved with the extra connector?

The power supply i tried is new but it's still a piece of crap. 'Different Power Supply' sounds like the logical next step.

Comment

I don't have the codes in front of me, but I think your memory must be working or it would have stopped at C1 or something similar. Processor is fine or there would have been no codes at all.

What i posted above was right from the 8RDA+ manual;

7Fh

Switch back to test mode if full screen logo is supported
                              -If errors occur, report errors & wait for keys
                              -If no errors occur or F1 key is pressed to continue:

Clear EPA or customization logo
                              ....but maybe i should suspect even the next code:

82h

1. Call chipset power management hook.
                              2. Recover the text fond used by EPA logo (not for full screen logo)
                              3. If password is set, ask for password.

I suppose that it could be completing the '7F' step and getting stuck on the '82'.

Comment

maybe someone hosed the board by flashing wrong bios or corrupting flash while flashing with bad caps?
                                seen many no post badcaps boards with bad flash issues due to clueless users ASSuming it went bad and trying to update.

Comment

Did the board POST all the way before recapping?

I ask because I am not having much luck with reviving dead boards through recapping. So far, I have recapped three dead boards, and only 1 revived. This failure rate makes me quite reluctant to waste my precious Rubycons on a dead board with grim prospects.

My AMD chipset boards (KG7, 8K7A) that hang at C1 have all been cured by recapping.

Comment

According to the previous owner it did but i didn't personally see it.

If this state is the result of a bad flash then i would expect the chip that i pulled out of the 'physically broken' board to do something different.....not necessarily work flawlessly, but just give a different code.

The physically broken board is the same model and revision level as the one i'm trying to fix. It's chip results in the very same POST code.

-----------------

I stripped the coolers off of the board and went over the solder joints with a hand held microscope. They all look fine. Well shaped and shiny.

I'll toy with it a while before i give up, but it just moved to the bottom of my priority list.

I'm still removing spyware from my sisters laptop.

----------------

I seem to do much better with a hotter iron. I originally tried to remove with the hot iron (Weller W60P3) and replace with numerous lower wattages. I became frustrated very quickly.

I think i got so used to the quick motion of the hot iron that it threw my rythm off.

Comment

Hi,

I didn't see you mention it, but have you tried holding down INS key when powering up these boards? It should force 100FSB which may help it to POST. I had several 8RDA3+ boards and found them a good performer at the time, but pretty fickle and eventually unstable. Mine had mostly Sanyo caps but they weren't all.

Comment

I was going to wait until a new power supply arrived.

I ordered a new PSU for a build and thought i could take another stab at getting this EpOX board working before i pitched it.

I'm a little concered that too new of a power supply might cause problems with this board. The PC Power & Cooling Silent 610 (yes i bought another one) doesn't have a pin in the 5v position.

I've heard this sometimes causes problems with older boards.

I'll know this weekend.

Comment

Hmmmmm.......how much current does that circuit need?

I'll have to use an adapter to connect the 24-pin power supply to the 20-pin board, so whats wrong with splicing in one of those '7805' voltage regulators?

I think they are rated at 1 amp.

Comment

Working...
                                          X