Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any recent feedback for Samwha caps?

Hi all

Do any of you have any recent feedback for Samwha caps?

I have just replaced 3 bad Capxon caps in a TV power supply with Samwha ones as these where the only ones I could get from my local electronics store. The TV is now working fine with these Samwha caps and I did buy the 105 degree and not 85 degree ones but I am worried they still might be nasty quality and wonder if I should swap them out again for some better ones. Also, if I should swap out some of the others on that board as a precaution.

BTW: I did buy some other caps from another store the other week that have no brand make on them but am I right that Panasonic do not put their mark on their caps? If so, how do you tell if they are Panasonic or not?

Thanks

Re: Any recent feedback for Samwha caps?

post foto's

Comment

Samwha are alright. Not the best but far from being the worst. I have replaced a few failed ones in TVs (some have them from the factory) but all sets i've had bulged Samwha caps were over 7 years old.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Ok, thanks. If they still last for a few years then they will be ok then. I have bought some better ones to keep to one side in case the Samwha ones go. Thanks for the reassurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ady2017 View Post
          Do any of you have any recent feedback for Samwha caps?
          Bullshit because people tend to replace good low ESR caps with GP Samwha...
          Not that the quality is bad, just people don't use them right...

Originally posted by Ady2017 View Post
          The TV is now working fine with these Samwha caps and I did buy the 105 degree and not 85 degree ones but I am worried they still might be nasty quality and wonder if I should swap them out again for some better ones.
          Oh dear...
          What Series?

Pls don't tell me you used RD Series?!
          Because that's what I have to think about when People talk about Samwha...

Comment

Because when I read Samwha I have to think about this shit:
            https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...caps-on-a-psu/

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
              Pls don't tell me you used RD Series?!
              Because that's what I have to think about when People talk about Samwha...
              I have used RD series in SMPS before, but i have checked the datasheets and respected the ripple current ratings - i put more RD caps in to match the ratings of the originals, Those were the only caps i had available at that time. TV's still going 2+ years later.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Th3_uN1Qu3: There is no problem doing it this way though.

Putting 2 caps in parallel will halve the ESR and double the ripple current capacity.

But just dropping in general purpose capacitors in place of specific low-esr or high ripple current capacitors without working out if the new caps can handle it is just asking for a quick failure.

Comment

Samwha are made by samsung and are usually okay.
                  You didn't say what the voltage rating and capacitance of the stock caps are.

Comment

Originally posted by john111 View Post
                    Samwha are made by samsung and are usually okay.
                    You didn't say what the voltage rating and capacitance of the stock caps are.
                    Samwha capacitors are not made or owned by Samsung.
                    They are two separate companies.
                    Samsung only make tantalum and MLCC capacitors.

Comment

Hi

The original ones were CapXon, 1000uf 25v (2 off) and 1000uf 10v. Replaced with 1000uf 25v and 1000uf 16v.

I had to get these from Maplins. Can not remember what series they were but they were the 105 degrees ones.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/1000f-16v...apacitor-dt69a

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/1000f-25v...apacitor-dt70m

Thanks

Comment

The original capacitors were CapXon KF series 105 degrees. Yes, looking at the datasheet they are quoted as being 'Low Impedance'. I already have some 'FR' capacitors which as far as I can make out are Panasonic and look like these are low impedance too so will swap them out to be safe.

When selecting capacitors, is it sufficient to match them according to the uF, the Voltage and if they are low impedance or general purpose?
                        Last edited by Ady2017; 03-18-2018, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                          Because when I read Samwha I have to think about this shit:
                          https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...caps-on-a-psu/
                          This was quite funny to see as he did a awful job of replacing all the caps with whatever he could find and bodging them in. Looked a right mess afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                          X