Asus A8N sli-premium crapped out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus A8N sli-premium crapped out

I got this motherboard for free after it crapped out. It was about 6 months ago when I was at a lan party, this guy had to switch it out of his case into another case. When he tried to power it on, it would turn on, but no post, fans would spin up and slow down, spin up and slow down. Even if we took out the ram or cpu, it wouldn't even throw any beep codes. I'm pretty sure the caps are chemicon (brown, the little M with a circle around it, also have the letters KZG printed on them.) None of them are bulging, some are a little bent, but they aren't bulging on the bottom, i think they just were like that, or he may have done that while he was switching cases. None of them are broken off though, I also checked the VRM's and north bridge, all the chips, none are burnt. No burnt traces either.

Any possibility that the caps are just gone bad?
    Last edited by 370forlife; 12-21-2008, 03:36 PM.

Re: Asus A8N sli-premium crapped out

Originally posted by 370forlife
    I'm pretty sure the caps are chemicon (brown, the little M with a circle around it, also have the letters KZG printed on them.)
    Frikin editing time limit, anyways, it does not have the M with the circle around it (which would be matsushita,) it looks like either the united or Nippon chemicon logo, just no writing it it, im guessing it was too small to print it in it.

Comment

My A8N-SLI premium has been running perfectly fine 24/7 since I bought it new in '05, the rubycons on the board will likely outlast the useful life of the thing, and I don't think the sparse number of KZG's, despite certain issues, will require replacement in the near future. No bulging caps exist as of yet.

Your board has likely been damaged by static electricity, assuming it worked before he removed it. Unless asus switched to cheapo caps somewhere along the way, they are not likely the issue.

Comment

Hmm

I just noticed on the board that there was a jumper set on a row of 3 jumpers (1 jumper, space, 2 jumpers) and it was jumping the last two. Its near the bottom right of the board, right above the jumpers for the on/off switch/etc...

Comment

KZG will fail like that.
          -- Fine one day, shut down. Next day stone dead motherboard. No bloating at all.
          I've personally had KZG do that on two different motherboards.
          All I did was replace the KZG and they both worked fine again.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
            KZG will fail like that.
            -- Fine one day, shut down. Next day stone dead motherboard. No bloating at all.
            I've personally had KZG do that on two different motherboards.
            All I did was replace the KZG and they both worked fine again.
            Wow! Are you sure it wasn't just "cold-bugged" components?

Let me explain to you about that, it means that the PC fails to POST when the room temperature drops below somewhere around 60 F when the PC is turned off.

The symptoms:

After shutting down the PC then turning it back on after the temperature has dropped to less than about 60 F, it fails to POST and if you turn it off then back on, eventually, it comes back to life and it's fine!

When that occurs, it may give the bleep code of video init failure and you may have to take out the video card and blow warm air on the video card for the BIOS to pass video init! I had that problem with a Radeon 9600 SE in 2004.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

PCBONEZ is right.

I have seen this often in many equipments not just PCs. They need new capacitors. Marginal electrolytics is too high ESR when cold but warm it up, ESR lowers to a point where things starts to work again. But still not GOOD, spikes and noise are higher even warm. Time to replace the capacitors!

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Could this be something else? Such as a solder joint?
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP
                  Wow! Are you sure it wasn't just "cold-bugged" components?
                  Quite sure.

Your "cold-bugged" is probably condensation effects.
                  Thin film of water forms over everything as it cools. (Grounding the CMOS)
                  Warm-up drives off the water.

We don't get that around here.
                  Air is too dry even (most of the time) in the winter.
                  Imagine air so dry that your shirt won't get wet from sweat at 110F.

Besides the problem occurred in early summer.
                  It was probably around 80F in there then.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

An Asus with bad solder joints?
                    I don't like Asus but never heard of them having that problem.
                    Much more likely KZG syndrome.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Working...
                    X