Definetly Bad Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definetly Bad Caps

I bought this system a while back from BZ Boys.com. MSI K7 Master, AMD 800 Mhz Cpu. I thought I got a sweet deal. Until about 1 month later when the damned thing exploded. Two Fire cracker pops, black smoke, and a scramble for the power button. Two smoldering capacitors were my smoking gun. A call to BZ boys landed me a recommendation to go to the manufacturer. MSI however, referred me back to BZ boys for redeeming all manufacturer warranties. BZ boys refused to deal with me. One report to the better business bureau later and three days later landed me a new epox kx7a+. Shiny. 2.5 years later... this very day in fact... I find an article by John Dvorak on bad caps. A google search lead me to this website. The pictures raised my curiousity about wether my new mobo was safe from this plague. Pop goes the case cover and I find... Disfigured CAPS. AHHHHH!!!! What do I do? I'm not even considering replacing the caps. I might as well plunk down 200 and get a new proc/mobo/ram. Any suggestions on mobos that are BAD CAP FREE?

hard to dodge them.
    board manufacturers often use different brands in different production runs.
    i have bought new boards at shows like dayton hamvention and dma's computerfest and got to look at the boards to see if they were using crap caps.vendors look at me funny till i show them why they have so many returns of certain brands stacked up in their booth.
    i figure if i am going to recap it it is because i got it for <$5
    one vendor gave me 40+ mobo's he had no warrenty recourse on once he knew i recapped them.
    btw if the system is running ok it is a near 100% cure to change the caps now before they go completely.if it is unstable you now know why
    if you cannot do it topcat and i can if you pull the board and mail it to one of us.

Comment

Like mentioned above, there's no way to predict a brand that will or will not have the cap problem. I received 2 Biostar socket 478 motherboards last Friday, less than 4 months old, and caps were toast! Have seen Supermicro \"high-end\" server boards with bad caps, lots of Abit's, Asus, ECS, MSI, and so on.................

Replacing the caps with known quality brands will cure the board beyond it's useful lifespan, so before you plunk down for a new board, you might think of recapping it. As kc8adu mentioned, if you can't do it yourself, one of us can do it for you.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Working...
      X