Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with knowledge of the Viewsonic VA903MB monitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone with knowledge of the Viewsonic VA903MB monitor?

I noticed lately that my Viewsonic VA903MB monitor had some issues, flashing black screen rapidly and 2 or 3 inch wide green bar going up and down vertical. Flashed so quickly I could barely see boot screen etc, so I took it apart and noticed a couple blown /bad capacitors.

I took them both out, but stupid me forgot to write down the pin numbers for each one. I already ordered two 10 pieces of both sizes on ebay...

Elite 1000 uF 16V
    Elite 680 uF 25V

I managed to find two pictures online that resemble the exact circuit board I'm needing answers to. I just need to confirm the right capacitors for the right pins.

Pin #C923
    Pin #C926

In the two pictures I have, I put a red border box around them. And from the one picture off of ebay I noticed the "far right" one has 1000 uF on top of capacitor casing. Does anyone here know for sure or that I'm correct?

Pin #C923 gets the 680 uF 25V and Pin #C926 gets the 1000 uF 16V capacitor...? From now on I'll make sure to write down pin numbers and which capacitor size goes with which. Lol!
    Attached Files

Re: Anyone with knowledge of the Viewsonic VA903MB monitor?

C923 is the 680µf/25v; C926 is the 1000µf/16 volt
    Attached Files
    Last edited by R_J; 03-03-2019, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      C923 is the 680µf/25v; C926 is the 1000µf/16 volt
      Thank you!

I also took apart another NEC 24" monitor that had some water damage and found several 1000 uF 16V capacitors in it that weren't blown that I could probably just use one of those.

But I'd have to wait anyway for the 680 uF 25V capacitors to arrive in mail before putting it all back together. I my as well just wait on both new capacitors and not risk using the ones from other bad monitor that had water damage.

There was a 1000 uF 25V in the NEC 24" monitor, but it might be too big in diameter to fit in the pin area. It's not bad to use bigger uF sized capacitors right, as long as the voltage is same?

Comment

You can use a larger diameter as long as it fits, also you can use a larger voltage, you could use 25v caps for the 16 volt ones also. It is best to keep the capacity (µf) the same but in this power supply you could use 1000µf for the 680µf also.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
          You can use a larger diameter as long as it fits, also you can use a larger voltage, you could use 25v caps for the 16 volt ones also. It is best to keep the capacity (µf) the same but in this power supply you could use 1000µf for the 680µf also.
          Oh okay, that's great to hear! Thanks for your help / input. Much appreciated! I'll try two from old monitor once and if anything goes wrong with them, I'll still have the new ones coming in mail from Hong Kong. My as well try something for now and see if it works.
          Last edited by spencerp; 03-03-2019, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spencerp View Post
            I already ordered two 10 pieces of both sizes on ebay...
            May we know which seller your ordered from?

The reason I ask is because there are A LOT of counterfeit and/or junk capacitors on eBay. If it's a Japanese brand and coming out of Hong Kong or China address - beware!!! Good chance is could be counterfeit (i.e. not genuine) Japanese cap. Only seller that I know that likely sells genuine Japanese caps and is based from HK/CN is egekecu.
            And if you didn't get a Japanese brand of capacitors... well, consider that you might have to do this repair again in the future (and depending on how crap the new capacitors are, that may be a lot sooner than you'd expect.)

To avoid all of those eBay shenanigans, I usually suggest ordering from Mouser, Digikey, or badcaps.net store here. For Euroland and other countries around the world, there are other options too, such as Element11, Farnel, RScomponents, etc. Any of these should be more preferable to eBay, Amazon, and AliExpress.
            Last edited by momaka; 03-04-2019, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              May we know which seller your ordered from?

The reason I ask is because there are A LOT of counterfeit and/or junk capacitors on eBay. If it's a Japanese brand and coming out of Hong Kong or China address - beware!!! Good chance is could be counterfeit (i.e. not genuine) Japanese cap. Only seller that I know that likely sells genuine Japanese caps and is based from HK/CN is egekecu.
              And if you didn't get a Japanese brand of capacitors... well, consider that you might have to do this repair again in the future (and depending on how crap the new capacitors are, that may be a lot sooner than you'd expect.)

To avoid all of those eBay shenanigans, I usually suggest ordering from Mouser, Digikey, or badcaps.net store here. For Euroland and other countries around the world, there are other options too, such as Element11, Farnel, RScomponents, etc. Any of these should be more preferable to eBay, Amazon, and AliExpress.
              Hi, thanks for your concern. I ordered from a guy named "zq8".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10uF-22uF-4...r/362453850009

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000uF-1500...r/392157452466

But I only ordered through him cause I only had 5.53 on me in the bank and got two 10 pieces for 3.38 free shipping. If I had more money on me, I would have gone the safer route.

I'm typing this from the Viewsonic monitor by the way... after using capacitors from the other bad 24" NEC monitor lol. Of course stupid me again in a hurry, I didn't make sure the negative post was in negative pin hole and had to take it back out and resolder it again and put the 16V in right too. LOL. I need to learn patience and double check stuff before soldering lol.

And had to raise the refresh rate to 75 hertz cause at 60 or whatever I was having the rippling effect. But at 75 it's not there.
              Last edited by spencerp; 03-04-2019, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Those are general purpose caps not low ESR cap.
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                  Those are general purpose caps not low ESR cap.
                  A bad thing or not? I wasn't sure to be honest. I just had to get some within price range. lol

Comment

They look like typical generic junk caps from China - the kind that fails on the shelf even if unused. They are cheap for a reason.

A bad thing or not?
                    Not good.
                    They will get a lot more stressed internally from the monitors SMPS. And given that they appear to be mostly ChengX/ChangX/Chongx/Ch-whatever or other generic Chinese garbage, you'd be lucky to get 6 to 12 months out of that monitor before the caps fail again.
                    Last edited by momaka; 03-04-2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      Not good.
                      They will get a lot more stressed internally from the monitors SMPS. And given that they appear to be mostly ChengX/ChangX/Chongx/Ch-whatever or other generic Chinese garbage, you'd be lucky to get 6 to 12 months out of that monitor before the caps fail again.
                      Ah crap, okay. Well I'll have to consider it 3.38 loss of money then. I'll get better ones in future, when I have more money available. I'm currently using those two from NEC 24" monitor and not sure their brand name either. But they should hold up a while considering they were from another monitor. I have several more 16V 1000 uF caps in other monitor and another 25 V 1000 uF cap if need them again.

I have the Viewsonic monitor up and running and using now as we speak here.

Comment

Ah crap, okay. Well I'll have to consider it 3.38 loss of money then.
                        More or less, but not necessarily. If you do any kind of electronics projects / experimentation on a breadboard, you can still use the ChengX caps as general filters there. Or, you can use them for testing purposes only - that is, if you have a PSU with completely failed capacitors and you want to see if it works before ordering new parts for it... then yes, those ChongX caps may be used for that temporarily to see if the PSU works.

Other than those two, it doesn't make much sense to use the ChongX caps in any device long term, because you just don't know when (and how badly) they will fail. So keep them in your parts box for now. New, low-quality, un-failed, cheap caps are still better than old failed caps.
                        Last edited by momaka; 03-06-2019, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X