X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder why this RAM module failed

The sticker explains it all
    Attached Files
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Re: I wonder why this RAM module failed

Hehe I remember Veritech, first saw them in 2005-2006 and have replaced a lot of them.

Comment

I've found Veritech DDR1 to be one of the more reliable brands to acquire second-hand
      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
        I've found Veritech DDR1 to be one of the more reliable brands to acquire second-hand
        Think it's the same kind of crap as what folks report with Micron?
        At least with the DDR2 (and maybe DDR3?) D9 chips.

I never heard of Micron DDR1 failing, but there's been reports flooding in of DDR2 (and maybe DDR3) D9s failing.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

now a days I tend to find gskill to be the best ddr3 for price/failure/performance factors
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

"At these prices, they won't last" doesn't mean product longevity is limited due to low price.

I thought a "limited" warranty simply meant it didn't guarantee a cash refund.

Comment

"Limited Lifetime"

Whoever wrote/designed that sticker actually knew a lot about the product they were selling.

Comment

i have deployed more gskill than anything else and so far only 1 bad stick.
                thats about 1200 kits of 2 or 4.
                about a dozen bad out of 250 with corsair.similar with ocz.
                those tables could turn at any time though.
                Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                now a days I tend to find gskill to be the best ddr3 for price/failure/performance factors

Comment

I normally use Kingston RAM. It seldom gives me trouble. Corsair, on the other hand, seldom works. I've had better luck with no-name RAM than Corsair.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I prefer Kingston too...

I made the mistake of seeing how far no name RAM sticks can overclock....short answer: not very far at all

Comment

I'm with kc8adu on Gskill. I used to be a big Crucial customer until I was getting failures. They always made good though. Then I went for stocking Corsair, I think I've had one failure from their products. Now I'm a Gskill fan.. I've used hundreds of their stuff in both laptop and desktop applications.. No failures yet and the price is right.

Did anyone else take advantage of the micron/crucial class action suit a few years ago ? I got quite a few letters from the court case offering small restitution claims.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                        G.Skill, the company that used to say it was OK to ship a module even if it showed up to 2 bad bits during final testing? Also like almost all makers of retail modules, they take chips rated 1333 MHz and overclock them by 30% - 100%.

Unless Samsung modules come back on the market, I think the only way to be guaranteed of not getting overclocked or junk chips is by choosing no-heatsink Crucial.

Comment

Originally posted by larrymoencurly View Post
                          G.Skill, the company that used to say it was OK to ship a module even if it showed up to 2 bad bits during final testing?
                          Linux can work around that.

Comment

I bought Crucial Tactical Ballistic DDR3 ram, is that alright.
                            Yeah use Memtest to test your ram, that's the best to check.
                            http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg305.pdf

Comment

What's up with RAM prices??? $60-$70 for an 8GB kit... Used to be $40-$50... Are they starting DDR4? Better get your DDR3 now, before it ends up in the same price bracket as DDR2...

Only Crucial for me thank you...
                              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                What's up with RAM prices??? $60-$70 for an 8GB kit... Used to be $40-$50... Are they starting DDR4? Better get your DDR3 now, before it ends up in the same price bracket as DDR2...

Only Crucial for me thank you...
                                doubtful. AMD's next planned chips are DDR3-1866, and I just found this out, fusion chips are going to have separate memory buses for 128-bit GDDR5 for the graphics on the CPU. Wow

Intels Haswell is planned for DDR3-1600

if they are going to tout DDR4, they sure aren't making any hardware for at least a year to take it
                                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                  Better get your DDR3 now, before it ends up in the same price bracket as DDR2...
                                  *checks DDR(1) prices* Ouch. I guess I'm not going to be upgrading my computer anytime soon. 1 GB is plenty for me though.

Comment

DDR1 is peanuts... There's plenty of surplus.
                                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

^
                                      Not around here. DDR3 is far cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                        ^
                                        Not around here. DDR3 is far cheaper.
                                        Same for here $12 1gb ddr3 and $40 1gb ddr
                                        My pc
                                        CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                                        MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                                        RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                                        PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                                        GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Working...
                                        X