monitor slowly becomes unreadable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

monitor slowly becomes unreadable.

Along with my beauty SGI, I own an SGI branded monitor. It's 21" and uses either RGB or RGB with sync. Anyways, Recently I have noticed that after some use the middle section of the screen begins to go fuzzy. Brightness and contrast adjustments can clear it for a while but then it just returns. Eventually the centre begins to go crooked and almost go out of sync possibly. Once the screen begins to bent, it spreads to the top and bottom and eventually you can't even read the monitor. I notice that if the monitor is left off for a day the problems go away and it's not a cooling problem since SGI built a fan right into the monitor. I am guessing either a dry cap or the flyback. Am I close?
    NOTE: the sgi uses a video out method of RGB with no sync cable. connections are made through three BNC connectors on the right of the E-module:

If this stretches, blame photobucket
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: monitor slowly becomes unreadable.

Since there is no "sync" output connector, the "green" output connector would have sync-on-green - http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_SyncGrn1.html

In the monitor, carefully try using freezer spray on it on certain components (not on the primary of the supply!). Also try replacing any bipolar electrolytic capacitors with polyester units. They should fix some of the problems.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Re: monitor slowly becomes unreadable.

You got it.
      I will see what I can do.
      Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Working...
      X