Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have experience with Xeon Potomac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have experience with Xeon Potomac?

So after searching around for Gallatins, which I want for my Tyan S2720, I came across information about another Socket 604 Xeon, the Potomac core, which has purportedly 8MB of L3 cache and 1MB of L2. This is the information I see all over the net, although the actual ARK portion of the Intel site says it has 8MB of L2 so I'm not sure what's going on.

So any idea what sort of motherboard is necessary for the Potomac cores? They run at 533MHz like a Gallatin would, but Tyans' site says the board supports up to 512k of L2. I've never come across a situation where I had to worry about how much cache a CPU had on-die so that I knew whether it would work in my board or not. Maybe the Tyan site is simply not updated?

Anyway, it looks like the Potomac was a more special-purpose or niche market processor, but I wouldn't mind picking some up and using them for Photoshop or music editing or what-have-you. Gotta figure out what board they will work in, first.

-Jay
    Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Re: Anybody have experience with Xeon Potomac?

I do not know if this will help, but I use this site http://www.cpu-world.com/info/Intel/Intel_Xeon_MP.html to find socket compatible processors for upgrading and then I use the results refine my searches to the specific motherboard / chipsets. I just recently discovered that on a Poweredge 2850, the mother board revisions determine if it will support multiprocessor CPU's. I point this out because stuff like this is not well documented and can lead to big headaches so it is something to watch out for on upgrades. A difference as small as a revision number may make the difference in it working or not.

This was not the answer you were looking for but hopefully you will find it helpful.

Comment

No, that's great; thank you. I suppose I just need to stop researching the core name, which yields me nothing, and better scrutinize cpu feature support on mp boards.

I recall emailing either Tyan or Supermicro and having them deny making a potomac compatible board. This is difficult for me to believe.

Comment

I've run gallatins. If you don't mind ddr, agp, and ia-32 (no x64), they're nice.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I plan on getting a couple Gallatins for my S2720-533, but I'm interested in a Potomac board, perhaps a quad, for use with heavier PhotoShop and CAD/Schematics/whatever.

Comment

Working...
          X