Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

look somthing cool that linux can do, but windows cant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

look somthing cool that linux can do, but windows cant.

browse the web without a GUI
    i call it text based web, and i love it!

any thing cool you can think of that linux can do and not windows?
    linux fourms wold love any others to!

[edit]sorry about the second pic it was taken by a phone with no X running.[edit]
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goontron; 03-14-2013, 10:40 PM. Reason: add a pic without X running
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Re: look somthing cool that linux can do, but windows cant.

Windows CAN do that.

If you want to exact look, and ability to run from command prompt, just download the Windows port of Lynx or Links.

Otherwise, go in your browser and choose no stylesheet (View > Page style > No style in Firefox).

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
      linux fourms wold love any others to!
      Update almost anything but the actual kernel, and not have to reboot!

Open/edit/backup a file that's in use by another process.
      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

goontron wrote:
        ...shading text to copy and clicking scroll-wheel to paste...

Comment

ok but windows don't have a console media player!
          Attached Files
          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
            Update almost anything but the actual kernel, and not have to reboot!

Open/edit/backup a file that's in use by another process.
            You can update almost anything but the actual kernel. Windows just prefers to ask you to reboot so that active programs won't behave in a weird way. It's just a different mentality from Linux.

You can open and edit a file used by another process, IF that process allows you. Processes are allowed to lock a file while they run. If you're administrator, you can override that lock at any time.

Originally posted by MagnumOpus View Post
            goontron wrote:

...shading text to copy and clicking scroll-wheel to paste...
            You can do that. Just run an application in background that hooks into mouse events and it will do that for you. It's not done because it's not necessarily a good thing and because windows has graphical interface before the scroll wheel appeared on a mouse.

Just because you don't know, doesn't mean there aren't. There were command line players since DOS, nowadays there are even players capable of playing mp3 and other higly compressed files

See

mpxplayer http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ImkMQmuM#t=97s
            opencubicplayer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmkep5GN78E , xtc-play ,mplay123 etc

Nobody does command line stuff nowadays (well, as primary mode, as an optional thing it's still possible) since it's so easy to do it with a gui and all windowses have the same guaranteed functions to draw a visual gui. Linux systems have various graphical interfaces and it's actually easier to just do it in command line in some cases.

Comment

There are several. I use one daily to remotely play .wav and .mp3 files on my co-workers computers.
              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

It can leave me alone so I can actually get something done, it can switch GUIs without even rebooting...

Oh, and it can kexec.

Comment

well linux is a monolithic kernel, windows is a microkernel. There are things windows can do that linux can't. Sometimes I wish that wasn't true cause that would make life a lot easier and cheaper for regular people

someone come up with a desktop version of linux that isn't binded to command lines, and can run successfully without having to use them. I would like to see that. But linux is built off command line type architecture. "Anything you can do in linux gui you can do with a command line" I remember hearing that from a teacher many years ago.

in the end, you can't compare windows and linux in these ways. two different operating systems, two different everything
                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

The command line rules, even in Windows.

I can set NTFS permission on a windows server directory faster using the command line, than clicking all the way in to the folder, then right clicking, properties, security blah blah.

Anything you can do at the command line you can do in a script, and make sysadmin stuff fast and efficient.

Comment

Linux - hmm, let's see, have ridiculous amounts of uptime?
                      login as: root
                      root @solusvm.shovenet.com's password:
                      Last login: Sun Mar 24 14:54:15 2013 from c-71-198-241-236.hsd1.ca.comcast.net
                      [root@solusvm ~]# uptime
                      18:24:00 up 357 days, 13:12, 1 user, load average: 5.86, 3.52, 1.08
                      [root@solusvm ~]#
                      Last edited by shovenose; 03-25-2013, 12:27 PM. Reason: Edit: added space so vB didn't make it an email

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                        Linux - hmm, let's see, have ridiculous amounts of uptime?
                        Code:
                        cheapie@Bob ~ $ uptime
                         20:42:47 up 4:11, 3 users, load average: 0.90, 1.15, 1.21
                        cheapie@Bob ~ $
                        I'm jealous now.

(And yes, my computer is named "Bob")

Comment

Several things:

1. Multiple text-mode consoles, for housekeeping stuff. This is probably more useful in larger environments (find out all failed login attempts on the college network, list people who clocked in at the company more than X minutes late, etc). Linux *_may_* be more customizable and more secure (home users often don't even know about "regular" and "Admin" accounts on their Windows machines, MS could emphasize their security tools more).

2. In the old days, linux would manage the resources better. Run linux (2.0 kernel) and Win 98 on an AMD K5-166 chip (96 or 128 MB Ram). Tasks switched more smoothly. I remember.

Comment

I can run multiple instances of command prompt on Windows (powershell too if needed) - don't see your point there? - I've seen people with Linux running everything as Root too... (default since Vista has been for a non-admin login btw, that's why UAC was/is such a PITA).

I'd say that "in the old days" doesn't really count - how many people are running Win98 or a 2.0 Linux kernel on a daily basis nowadays?

Comment

Working...
                            X