The PS2 HDD system and it's attempt with another drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PS2 HDD system and it's attempt with another drive

After a year of searching I finally found a damn close match to the Sony Hard drive that is installed in the PS2 (the SCPH-20401)

The Maxtor 6E040L0

I was first encouraged to get a hard drive because of some of the features that were included with the HDD tools cd bundled with final fantasy XI (on a second disc):
    Once you've installed the utility drivers, the HDD offers a number of features and enhancements to the PlayStation 2 that are quite useful. Just like a memory card or media disc, the HDD appears on the system browser. You can access the HDD, like any other object in the browser, to view data, execute programs, or delete data. Installing and deleting data from the HDD is identical to completing the same operation on a PC, except you'll hold a Dual Shock 2 controller in your hands instead of tapping a keyboard.
    One of the most useful functions of the HDD involves game data. Although not all games will allow you to save data directly to the HDD, you can copy data from a memory card. As I'm going on my fourth memory card, the HDD is a tremendous help in cutting down on the little buggers. In the future, certain games will include the option of saving data to the HDD or a memory. Just as most Xbox games don't allow saving to a memory unit, titles on the PlayStation 2 may not necessarily offer HDD support. At least you can transfer data between memory cards and the HDD.
    So now I have the drive, the system and now an imaged copy of the detup cd.
    But wait a sec.
    The ps2 will not read burned cd's!
    I then look over the alternatives. All I see complately ignores what I wanted and moves towards just copying a game to the drive and screw working with the browser or using memory cards. They also require the use of a modchip ($$$) or some spoofy software that is so incredibly gouged I am amazed people buy it.
    PS2 games with the ability to use the HDD will also be unable to see the drive.
    There's gotta be someway to run the sony setup disc, but what? You got a spare?
    I have action replay MAX evo with the thumb drive.
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: The PS2 HDD system and it's attempt with another drive

http://www.hdadvance.com/
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

ps2 drive compatibility chart
      http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=statistics

searches indicate winhiip with hdloader to play the game
      http://forums.psxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=22748

sony utility only work with sony bios drives......
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

So it looks like I am limited to just running games off the drive and that's it.
        Looks like I am going to have to just wait until I can afford the final fantasy XI bundle.

Damn.
        Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Working...
        X