Network Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Switches

I would like to set up 8 computers and connect them to a hub or network switch, so I don't have to be unplugging and replugging the ethernet cable all the time.

I already have a KVM switch, now need the ethernet setup.

I can buy, new in the bag, this item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Alcatel-...item3cbf40d109

for about half the price of a cheapo consumer grade switch.

Is this thing likely to be plug and play?

I know zero about networking.

Thanks for your comments.

Re: Network Switches

Should be compatible, but I'd go for Gigabit these days.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Go for something like this:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16833156251

It's about as much as the eBay one (add the price + shipping fees) and it's plug and play, no need to configure anything, and gigabit ports.

Comment

Second go for Gigabit LAN.
        Second the TRENDnet.
        I've only had one TRENDnet device but aside from crap caps [which they all seem to have anymore anyway] the build quality at the PCB looked pretty good and it works well.
        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-02-2011, 12:27 PM.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Whoops.
          If you want to run 8 PC's then you'll need two switches or more than 8 ports.
          Your modem/router needs a port too.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

I located the TrendNet for $29!

Thanks for the tip

I went to Speedtest.net. My internet speed is low, so I may not see the difference.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1626574063.png

Comment

I've been a fan of D-link, since it seems their stuff just lasts forever.
              I've had Di-624 for good 5 years until lightning took out my cable modem, the Di-624 router and two ports on D-link 24 port switch and 2x integrated nics.

Port 2 on the switch would not link up at gigabit but it would link up 10/100 and port 1 would not link up at 10/100 but it would not link up at gigabit.

The Di-624 was plug in on port 1 and my fileserver was plug in on port 2 and of course the nic on it was fried. But port 3-24 would fine with no problem.

I continued to use the 24 port D-link switch in that state for another two years then decided to RMA due to 3 year warranty and when I got my new DGS-1210-24 six months ago.

I love my DGS-1210-24, it so stable, clean interface and I haven't had a problem so far. I found this one for half price compare to newegg who wanted $375 for it, I got it for $222 from costcentral.com. D-link wanted $420.

I mostly use it for vlans combined with pfsense and my newly bought tp-link access-point.

The tp-link is nice, it has nice interface but I don't know how reliable it will be tho. It does have 1 or 2 bugs, but I was able to workaround them. I have multi-ssid broadcast tied to vlans; Two networks one access-point.

Comment

if your'e just using cat5, you don't need that ^ switch on the previous post, it has fiber uplinks and a whole bunch of unnesseccary stuff (in your case, not his)

I'd imagine you only need gigabit if you're filesharing across your network...if you just want internet access, just get a 10/100
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                  if your'e just using cat5, you don't need that ^ switch on the previous post, it has fiber uplinks and a whole bunch of unnesseccary stuff (in your case, not his)

I'd imagine you only need gigabit if you're filesharing across your network...if you just want internet access, just get a 10/100
                  yeah this would not be the switch for you, but I got cat 6 running everywhere in my home. I managed to max out the gigabit connection with a two disk raid 0 desktop doing a 50GB SMB transfer to a six disk raid 5 fileserver doing about 110-115MB/s, and going the other way I did 120-122MB/s, and it only took about 7-8 minutes to move my 50GB folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
                    I've been a fan of D-link, since it seems their stuff just lasts forever.
                    I've had Di-624 for good 5 years until lightning took out my cable modem, the Di-624 router and two ports on D-link 24 port switch and 2x integrated nics.
                    I've got the little brother, the DI-604. Been on almost 24/7 since 2004. The only thing that ever went wrong was the original D-Link switchmode PSU (Teapos cooked dry after 3 or so years). Replaced it with a conventional linear PSU. No problems yet. These older ones really are bulletproof

@Topic:
                    if you don't need gigabit ethernet:
                    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16833122006

or two of these if you can find them somewhere else (not as overpriced)
                    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16833122005

If you're quick enough, you could also grab this one, which is cheaper than newegg (even with the shipping ebay shows me (10.80CAD) to a random Markham, ON postal code from google)
                    http://cgi.ebay.ca/130608825947

I've been using these Netgear Prosafe FS1xx series switches for ages for customer stuff and everywhere else and none of them gave me any trouble. In fact the connection i'm currently on runs through a FS105 5-port switch.

Metal casing, OK caps (nothing special, but not total garbage like Capxon or fuhjyyu or any of those nightmares)
                    Most of mine either had LTec or Teapo. And they aren't really hot-running (hand-warm at the most), so no probs there. I actually haven't recapped my own home-network one in the 5 or so years i've been using it lol

PS: sucks that ebay.ca has almost none of those. Over here you can grab a FS105 5port switch for 18eur (roughly 24.50CAD) brand new including shipping :/

Comment

D-Link has their share of good products just like every other company. They have some duds too.
                      sig files are for morons

Comment

too bad I already gave away my extra 16 port 10/100 netgear switch... it was an older one though...

funny thing is my whole network uses 10/100 and I do file share... granted, other then .iso images, most of the files are small.

I never upgraded as my server uses a 10/100 card and it has no pci-x slot, making gigabit a useless proposition.
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                        X