Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insignia NS-55E480A13A. Backlogs flicker, then black screen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insignia NS-55E480A13A. Backlogs flicker, then black screen.

Insignia NS-55E480A13A. Backlogs flicker, then black screen. Hi all. Back story...I have this TV, it was my sisters. We tried troubleshooting with Insignia support, with no luck. In May my sister unexpectedly died. I can't bring myself to let go of the Tv. I'm hoping someone can help walk me through the troubleshooting process. I learned and tried the power supply with the voltmeter, they all check out but of course that's if I did it correctly in the first place. I ordered and replaced the lcd driver board since it was the cheapest experiment...no luck. I'm attaching photos of everything, thank you so much for any help! Kathy
    Attached Files

Re: Insignia NS-55E480A13A. Backlogs flicker, then black screen.

No takers? No one familiar with this television? I just ordered the t-con board. Will try that next. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Kathy, Sorry to hear about your sister. There are if you check's you can run to determine if it's not an LED backlight failure. The right now it sounds like it's pointing to that.

When the picture goes out have you tried shining a flashlight into the screen to see if you can determine if the image is still operating easiest way to do that would be pressing menu button and look for letters and words

Btw this tv is a Hisense. Chinese brand. Insignia just rebadged it pretty much. The LED driver board was a good shot at replacement however that sometimes does not cure the problem. We have to make sure that the power supply is commanded to stay on at the PS-ON pin. If it is then we have to look at the back light pin to make sure that that is commanded to stay on.
      Last edited by freakaftr8; 03-13-2018, 11:39 AM.
      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply. Love your name...would have suited me well 20 years ago...ok, well 5 years ago! I did try to see if I could find anything on the screen but it didn't look like it when I used a flashlight in the dark. How specifically do I check the ps on and display light on? Is there a thread to direct me too if you don't have time?

Thank you so much about my sister. Wish I could let this go, I'm guessing if it is the leds then it wouldn't be worth it???

Much Love,
        Kathy

Comment

Lol thanks. I stuck with that name for nearly 20 years now of course now I'm 41 with 3 kids and a wife And mortgaged out the arse.

Do you have access to a digital volt meter?

Set it to DC. You wanna check black lead to ground or anywhere on the chassis and red lead to the pin on the power supply that says PS-ON. Keep the voltmeter on this pin while you turn the TV on the pin should go high like 3.3 or 5 V and stay there. Does it or does it back off after the screen goes out
          Last edited by freakaftr8; 03-13-2018, 12:52 PM.
          Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Check the ON/OFF (bl-on) pin to see if it stays above 2.5V when TV is turned on.
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v8DcqCNG4A
              testing video, BE CAREFUL THE HOT SIDE OF POWER SUPPLY CAN BE DEADLY.

Comment

So excited for all your help! Sorry been MIA...grandchildren! Gonna look at all this stuff now and let you all know how it turns out. I did order the t-con board, haven't tried it yet until I go through all your advise above. Again, thank you all so much!

Comment

thank you for the meter video!

Comment

hmmmm....

Ok, I can't find where the board is marked hot/cold side? If I where to guess, the hot would be where the power goes it...but I don't want to guess. The 2 areas of wires and pins...there is a PS ON #4, there is also a on/off on #13. and the second wire cluster also has an on/off. There is not a BL ON that I can see on either of them. I do have all the photos above in the first post if someone wants to check it out.

Much Love,
                    Kathy

Comment

ON/OFF = BL-ON/OFF for turning the backlights circuit on (0N = >2.5 (TYP.) and off (<1V = OFF).
                      Just do not anything on that power supply board with your hands or body, so at least you should plug the TV into the GFCI outlet.
                      Never stop learning
                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

http://www.shopjimmy.com/insignia-ad...upply-unit.htm powersupply pic.

Comment

Check voltages on CN9904 with all boards hooked up and tv powered on, list the name and expected voltage and the actual voltage you get right beside it, there's 13 pins, black lead to ground/bare metal back of tv etc. red meter lead to pin, just like in the video, on this board you can measure the pins from back of connector to get a reading, meter set on 20 volts dc.
                          Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-17-2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihBEAa0HlFk testing driver board, watch it a few times, IMPORTANT to always unplug tv before unplugging any connectors as in never unplug or plug in any connector while tv is plugged in, so you don't short anything out.
                            Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-17-2018, 07:01 PM.

Comment

ok, this might be a stupid question, but...the tcon and driver board have a cover on them. Are they a 'ground' of some sort? Do they need to be attached to test the power supply or can I do the testing with power on and those backs off?

Videos show testing the driver board with it off, but the board is on the power supply and not separated.
                              Last edited by sameoldsam; 03-18-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Sure take them off.

Comment

To Main Board:
                                  1.DET 0
                                  2. 5V 5.3
                                  3. 5V 5.3
                                  4. PS_ON 2.62
                                  5. 24V 23.6
                                  6. 24V 23.6
                                  7-9 GRD
                                  10. 12V 23.6
                                  11. 12V 23.6
                                  12. DIM 2.1
                                  13. ON/OFF 2.8

To LED Driver Board (the original one)
                                  1. ON/OFF 2.8
                                  2. DIM 2.1
                                  3. DET 0
                                  4. 12V 11.6
                                  5-9 GRD
                                  10. 24V 23.9
                                  11. 24V 23.9
                                  12. 24V 23.9
                                  13. 24V 23.9
                                  14. 24V 0 reads -23.9 on the Driver Boards matching pin
                                  Last edited by sameoldsam; 03-18-2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I only see a cover on your t-con, you can test those other boards before the t-con, it kinda looks like a led backlight issue, I'd do the test in the video in post # 14 first, led backlight failure is prevalent in led tvs.

Comment

Very nice job on those readings and listing them, see how he's testing the LED driver board? that will let you know if there's a problem with the LED driver board or a led backlight problem.

Comment

Originally posted by sameoldsam View Post
                                        To Main Board:
                                        1.DET 0
                                        2. 5V 5.3
                                        3. 5V 5.3
                                        4. PS_ON 2.62
                                        5. 24V 23.6
                                        6. 24V 23.6
                                        7-9 GRD
                                        10. 12V 23.6
                                        11. 12V 23.6
                                        12. DIM 2.1
                                        13. ON/OFF 2.8

To LED Driver Board (the original one)
                                        1. ON/OFF 2.8
                                        2. DIM 2.1
                                        3. DET 0
                                        4. 12V 11.6
                                        5-9 GRD
                                        10. 24V 23.9
                                        11. 24V 23.9
                                        12. 24V 23.9
                                        13. 24V 23.9
                                        14. 24V 0 reads -23.9 on the Driver Boards matching pin
                                        On 14 did you mix up your meter leads when measuring?

Comment

Working...
                                        X