EVGA = Crap??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EVGA = Crap??

So i bought an EVGA Socket 939 board, 133-K8-NF41, off ebay. Seller admitted it had one blown cap.

It arrived yesterday, and EVERY cap on the board is SACON, except for the VRM caps which are 10mm 1500uf 2.5v LELON solids.

I expect I will replace every one of the caps on the board.

The SACONS are FZ63 1500 6.3V and FZ57 470uf 16V and one FZB 470uf 16V. These are made to look like solids but are vented. All 10mm,

There are also 2 of the (SOYO leftover?) shiny 1500uf 10v.

Also 2 little spring loaded push-button switches marked "power" and "reset" as well as
    a goofy looking 2-digit LED.

This is a SLI board with two x-16 PCI-E slots.

Anyone care to suggest suitable replacement caps?

Obviously EVGA is not trying for high-quality!

Re: EVGA = Crap??

nForce 4 right? nForce 4 is ok and worth fixing, unlike all the later nForces which have defective substrate engineering.

No why exactly would you BUY a board like this? Sure it has two PCIe x16 slots, but don't you know how old 939 is? Also I believe these boards are DDR, at least the A8N-E board I recapped recently was.

Besides the Sacon FZ, list the brand and series of the other caps.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Re: EVGA

He did. They are ALL sacon FZ except the ones on the VRM, which are Lelon polys (probably OCR)
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
        Anyone care to suggest suitable replacement caps?
        Badcaps.net doesn't carry anything that can replace the 16V 470uF FZ in 10mm. The options in the US are polymer from digikey or 10mm Nichicon HN from mouser. I'm not sure what stores will ship to Canada.

Specs for 10x12.5mm FZ:
        ESR: 22 mOhms
        Ripple: 1800 mA

Badcaps carries suitable replacements for all other values of FZ though. For the 8mm diameter FZ, you can use Rubycon MBZ/Samxon GC or equivalent. For the 10mm FZ, get MCZ/GC.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
          nForce 4 right? nForce 4 is ok and worth fixing, unlike all the later nForces which have defective substrate engineering.

No why exactly would you BUY a board like this? Sure it has two PCIe x16 slots, but don't you know how old 939 is? Also I believe these boards are DDR, at least the A8N-E board I recapped recently was.

Besides the Sacon FZ, list the brand and series of the other caps.
          It's a hobby. I like old technology. I do have newer boards, I am writing this reply on a newish AM2 board. For my purposes, which do NOT involve using a 50-inch TV as a monitor or getting max frame rates on a video game, 939 is just fine.

Markings on the LELONs are OCR and L545(M)
          I see there are also three 16v 330uf LELONS of the same type.

Are LELONS crap caps too?

The shiny SACONS are SZ603 - that's all the markings on these.
          Last edited by bigbeark; 01-09-2011, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
            Badcaps.net doesn't carry anything that can replace the 16V 470uF FZ in 10mm. The options in the US are polymer from digikey or 10mm Nichicon HN from mouser. I'm not sure what stores will ship to Canada.

Specs for 10x12.5mm FZ:
            ESR: 22 mOhms
            Ripple: 1800 mA

Badcaps carries suitable replacements for all other values of FZ though. For the 8mm diameter FZ, you can use Rubycon MBZ/Samxon GC or equivalent. For the 10mm FZ, get MCZ/GC.
            yes he has the 470uf 13v in samxon and rubycon. his list has been much expanded...
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

The rubycon caps topcat has are MBZ, whose ripple is a bit lower rated than the FZ. However, I would just go for it anyway and assume the FZs were overkill. Many motherboards use MBZ or equivilant, (or even lower grades at times) and it works fine.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                yes he has the 470uf 13v in samxon and rubycon. his list has been much expanded...
                Topcat has MBZ/GD in 8mm, which aren't spec'd well enough to replace the 10mm FZ. He carries 10mm 470uF Samxon GT, but those aren't good enough either.

Originally posted by c_hegge
                The rubycon caps topcat has are MBZ, whose ripple is a bit lower rated than the FZ. However, I would just go for it anyway and assume the FZs were overkill. Many motherboards use MBZ or equivilant, (or even lower grades at times) and it works fine.
                8mm MBZ is close enough to 8mm FZ, but 8mm MBZ is nowhere close to 10mm FZ.

I'm all for supporting the site whenever possible, but in this case, nothing in the store at the moment works.

Comment

Nichicon HM or HN from Mouser... They ship to Canada. Make sure to indicate the cheapest shipping option. Only $8, but takes around a week. Cheaper than Digikey and Newark, and in fact, the cheapest shipping of them all.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...88&postcount=2

Depends on which FZ you have.
                    Panny FM are good for some, for others you need at least MBZ grade.
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

You didn't check the forum before you bought that did ya...
                      -
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=evga+fz
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=evga+fz

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                        Got me! No, didn't check. I mis-measured the 470uf 16v - they are 8mm.
                        I have Panny FM on hand to cover those, although they are a bit taller.

I was hoping to use 6.3v 1500uf MBZ 10x12.5mm that I have on hand, but note Ripple is only 1540 vs 1800 for the FZ. I also have 1500uf 16v MBZs which are taller, but who cares.

I am dubious of the quality of the LELON solids in the VRM. Are there any spec sheets on these? Series is OCR as mentioned above. Thanks to all for
                        your help.

Comment

I found the LELON spec sheets: http://www.lelon.com.tw/index.php?fn=product&id=1.

They claim ESR 8 and Ripple 5500 for the 1500uf 2.5v 10x12.5mm.
                          So that impedance is theoretically 01 on my 2-digit ESR meter?

The 330uf 16v 10x12.5mm are listed as ESR=14 and Ripple = 5050.

Replace these or keep?

Comment

Keep polymers. I've never heard of junky polymers, even from companies that are known to make junk.

Just curious about the ESR. Do they mean the ESR is 0.008 and 0.0014?

Comment

Yes, the charts say that ESR rating is expressed in milliohms, so .014 and .008
                              should be the correct ESR values. I wonder if 2-digit ESR meters round up?

Comment

Who knows, but as long as it's not reading high, it's good. You're safe to replace the Sacon FZ with Rubycon MBZ or Nichicon HM.

If you want an exact replacement, search for Sacon FZ, the datasheet has been posted inline and as an attachment many times.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                  Keep polymers. I've never heard of junky polymers, even from companies that are known to make junk.

Just curious about the ESR. Do they mean the ESR is 0.008 and 0.0014?
                                  iirc KC said that he has seen junk polies short out....
                                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

FZs suck as well.

Comment

How can they not even make polies right?

Comment

I don't buy the implied conclusion.... Not without a LOT more details.

Poly found bad might have more to do with their environment than -what- they were.

KC works on some industrial equipment that gets a lot more abuse than a PC.
                                        [Context: PC = PERSONAL Computer, as opposed to an industrial/commercial computer.]

A bad environment can blown anything as proven by many times over by Rubycon Lytics popping their tops in Dell SFF/USFF PCs.

- Are Rubycon lytics therefore bad/junk because they sometimes blow up in extreme environments?

That is the same cause/effect assumption/conclusion you are making about those shorted Polys.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X