FOXCONN motherboard / OCRZ caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOXCONN motherboard / OCRZ caps

Hi, I'm new here at the forum. I'm glad to be here at this place, which is truly a fantastic resource for caps problems. I hope it's not a problem, that my first post is a question, but I never was able to find any answers to the following:

Actually, how is the quality of Taiwanese solid caps?? I have a FOXCONN DigitaLife P35AP-S motherboard with Fujitsu solid caps on the important paths and Taiwanese OCRZ caps (by Lelon) on the less important paths.

Of course I read here at the forum, that Lelon non-solid caps are a reason to recap, but how is the quality and what is the life expectation of Taiwanese/OCRZ solid caps in comparison to Japanese solid caps?

I thank you very much for reading my question.

Re: FOXCONN motherboard / OCRZ caps

Did I do something bad with asking this??

If so, I'm sorrry. But I really can't imagine what that is. I really searched the forum, but couldn't find anything if that's the problem.

Comment

thats because we have no statistics on those parts.
      run them until they fail and report back.if they fail.

Comment

The Fujitsu (if they have vents) are actually "Functional Polymer" which is sort of a hybrid between electrolytic and true polymer.
        The original version suffered from moisture leaking -IN- which caused minor bloating but (usually) the caps still worked fine (as bloated) for 5,6 years +.
        The new version (introduced approx 2005/2006 if I remember correctly) is presumably improved but not enough history yet to know.

As the Lelon are (as you seem to be saying) in non-critical spots and Fujitsu have a fairly good history I wouldn't be overly concerned about the board.

Run it to death and tell us what blows if it does.
        - It probably won't..... Any time soon.....
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Many thanks for answering PCBONEZ.

Fujitsu: Oh no, that would be bad. None of the Fujitsu caps has vents. And that's good.

Lelon: Yeah, they are here and there in groups around different circuits. Where real power runs Fujitsus are placed.

The board runs like hell indeed. This is the best motherboard I have ever owned. Seriously. I can't imagine a more stable, fast and cool P35 board. I only had one other board that I really loved like this. That was an intel P965 motherboard. I never liked any of my other boards. Great stuff Foxconn! Yeah, let's see how long the Lelon solid caps can make it. It's only a few weeks running, so it will take a while I guess. But if none of them exploded reportedly so far, they seem to be good and it won't happen...

Many thanks again!
          Last edited by anikk; 08-05-2008, 10:44 AM.

Comment

After some good time I can report back that the FOXCONN board still works absolutely great with all caps described above. But now I have an even bigger concern:

I have just ordered the intel "DP67BG" P67 chipset desktop motherboard. This board has only solid caps. The solid caps at the not so critical areas are CapXon solid caps. After having run non-japanese secondary area solid caps successfully on the FOXCONN motherboard I didn't worry about buying a board like this again.

But after placing the order I realized something very alarming and I'm in panic now. Could you please help me with comments. What do you say? Here's the unbelievable new problem:

The intel DP67BG motherboard has CapXon solid caps at the primary area as well! It indeed has CapXon solid caps at the voltage regulator's area around the CPU socket!

What to expect?? Please, I'm really worried and totally clueless. Please help.
            Last edited by anikk; 01-25-2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

link:

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/...w/_DSC7088.jpg

Please look at the CPU socket area. What do you think about this?
              Last edited by anikk; 01-25-2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Capxon are a somewhat better brand than Lelon. They may be OK, but personally, I re-cap anything taiwanese, even polys. I think kc8 has seen a few shorted polys and I have heard of cheap polys exploding, as in sending the can flying and leaving behind a heap of charred paper and foil.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Many thanks c_hegge for helping. I didn't even open the box, sent it back and ordered the ASUS P8P67 PRO (will be here tomorrow, yay) and I'm happy now. There's no "badcap" on that one on the overall layout. That's for sure. No matter if the board-region is critical or not. Many thanks again.
                  Last edited by anikk; 01-26-2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                    Capxon are a somewhat better brand than Lelon.
                    Not really. I'd say they are about the same - at least when comparing their electrolytics.

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                    I think kc8 has seen a few shorted polys and I have heard of cheap polys exploding, as in sending the can flying and leaving behind a heap of charred paper and foil.
                    If I remember correctly, that happened only on one occasion to him. I don't recall anything about exploding solid caps.
                    Can't seem to find that thread at the moment, though.

As far as the CapXon solid caps - they are probably fine. In general, solid caps tend to be good even from not so reputable manufacturers such as CapXon.

I'd say the Asus was a step back. I've seen a few Asus boards with all solid caps die for absolutely no reason. They just sit there and spin the fans. Should have kept the Foxconn.
                    Last edited by momaka; 01-26-2011, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Hi momaka, thanks for the comment. Independently from your comment - after a closer look at the situation of having an ASUS board - I indeed cancelled the order and reordered the intel again. Overall it's the better choice for me. On the other hand now I'm worried a bit again because of the polys. But it's way less worries after your replies. Thanks again c_hegge and momaka. If you or other members have new considerations related to the CapXon polys, please let me know about it here in the thread. It still feels a little strange that those are around the CPU socket and the PCIE slot as well. But overall I think that nothing beats an intel board and FOXCONN is the next best thing.

Comment

Good choice. I've come across a few dead ASUS boards myself. Intel boards are usually solid. Kinda boring, but solid.

Comment

Working...
                        X