Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DFI-ITOX G4S600-B with Chemicon KZGs - compatible caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DFI-ITOX G4S600-B with Chemicon KZGs - compatible caps?

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
    Nice job! Any reason you chose not to replace the 5 or so 6.3mm OST caps, most of them near the northbridge?
    As far as I know, only the KZGs are known problem causers. I only replaced those. Are there issues with the OST caps too?

Comment

^
      The small 6mm ones aren't usually under a lot of stress, and so they may not be a problem, but OST aren't a reliable brand. The Nichicon HMs may also be a problem if they are older than 2005. The date codes are usually something like H0324 or A0324 (which would mean 2003, Week 24)
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
        Looks good! The caps all look like they are installed correctly. Fire it up and see how it goes.
        Looks good. Voltages booted up pretty close:
        +1.5 = 1.5
        +3.3 = 3.39
        +5.0 = 5.18
        +12.0= 12.09
        -12.0 = -12.28
        5VSB =5.06

I'll let it run for a while on the test bench - any other burn-in procedures I need to know about?
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
          ^
          The small 6mm ones aren't usually under a lot of stress, and so they may not be a problem, but OST aren't a reliable brand. The Nichicon HMs may also be a problem if they are older than 2005. The date codes are usually something like H0324 or A0324 (which would mean 2003, Week 24)
          The Nichi's are all 06's.

Comment

Looks good.

But just so you know the outside of anti static bags can be conductive.

Comment

^
              I didn't pick up on that on the picture, but yes, it is true. Don't test stuff on Anti-static bags or foam. I usually use a motherboard box for that.

EDIT: 5200RPM? That CPU fan must sound like a jet engine.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

i fix a lot of those and the worst complication is a vrm fet failure that sometimes totals the board.
                if it posts its fine.
                as for the fan who cares.it needs all the help it can get in an exporter.
                slap it together and put it back on the air.
                rebuild the power supply as an "oh shit" spare.
                i use panasonic fm in those.
                its just a fsp with a connector added custom.
                Last edited by kc8adu; 04-27-2015, 06:54 AM.

Comment

haha yeah, that fan is pretty loud. And also, that's the inside of the bag.

Thanks, guys, for all your help! I doubt I'd have attempted this without your advice!

Comment

Followup: this board was still running happily when it was retired recently. For aynyone else needing it, here is what I used.

Comment

Working...
                    X