Compaq UWave Board caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq UWave Board caps

I have a board here from a Compaq Presario 5000. Socket A board w/Duron 750.

There are a few Choyo 1500uf 10v caps, some I.Q. 1500uf 6.3v caps, and some smaller caps by S.I. that are 470uf and 1000uf 10v.

Are the S.I. caps going to be a problem, or should I just change the 1500uf caps? They are not bulging yet, but I don't want to take any chances on them.

But not bad considering I got this computer off the side of the road... 20GB HDD, 96MB PC100, CDRW drive, Nvidia Vanta AGP, Lan, and Modem are with it too. Even got the original keyboard and mouse Too bad the side panel is missing so I need another case.

Re: Compaq UWave Board caps

Well I'd replace anything 1000uF and above, as these are the components that are going to give you trouble

BTW nice score off the side of the road!

People can be so wasteful
    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

If that case is nice and maybe proprietary, It would not be much to custom make a side panel. Could be cool.
      Jim

Comment

Case is proprietary, has a weird curve to the front of it. I could make a panel, but I'm not sure how to make the tabs that lock it into the slots on the case. The case is not too bad looking, but is a nightmare to get apart...

Comment

I would vote to replace even the 470 and 1000uF caps (and even the smaller, if they are inferior brands for sure)

And looks like the case need replacing too, hehe
          "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
          "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

Case is actually regular Micro-ATX... By proprietary I meant that it didn't have a simple square side panel. Has one of those cheesy plastic fronts and is a real nightmare to get apart.

If I do end up replacing the case, I'll have to see about flashing the BIOS to get rid of the Compaq logo. I think the board is actually a FIC AZ31 with some mods. Looks well made other than the caps.

Comment

err.. I had just one of those cases, complete but empty, it went to the scrap metal recycler just a while back..

I bet you didn't want to here that...

Sorry
              Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

where are you?
                always a good idea to post your location so we know.
                if near dayton oh you might find one in our scrap pile if the junkers havent cleared off the loading dock yet.we shredded a bunch of junk machines yesterday.

Comment

Figures... and probably if I were to find one on ebay it would go for too much...

I passed about 5 yard sales yesterday, should have stopped. I'm looking for computer junk and old tube radios. If I could just find a transformer for this old RCA R8 I'm working on...

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxarcade
                    if I were to find one on ebay old tube radios. If I could just find a transformer for this old RCA R8 I'm working on...
                    Funny you should mention that.
                    I was up last night searching Ebay for, old tube radios.
                    It was amazing, I used to own many of them.
                    Heavy nostalgia.
                    The big ones, small ones, ornate, modernistic,all beautiful memories now.

Getting to a junk pile is great if you time it right, at least before it rains.
                    Jim

Comment

Things from way back when used to have so much style and character to them. Radios, movie palaces, cars, houses etc in the 1920's-40's were so beautiful compared to their simple, cheap counterparts today.

Comment

Yes but think. In 100 years someone may be posting about how cool and retro your old stuff is.
                        Jim

Comment

Hmmm, I but todays cheap-made just-barely-holding stuff physicaly survive another 100 years when it usualy manage to f*ck itself in far less time...
                          "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                          "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

i suspect in 20 years most electronics we bought today will biodegrade even if new in the box.
                            seems 6 years in a car is about the limit for plastic parts before they start breaking.
                            just about everything electronic made after 1980 is junk.

Comment

But I have to give props to some of the oldest post-1980's computers I've worked on, such as the IBM PC 5150 and the Apple II series. They just keep going, even with the original caps In fact I hear some of the old 8088-486 systems are still being used in many industrial applications since they stand up to time and abuse better than newer systems.

Speaking of the Apple II series, I always thought it was so sad that the majority of people who used one didn't know they had color video output, since they've only seen the more common green display... Then VGA comes along for the PC and walks all over everything else

Comment

I'm sorry I said hundred years, thats like two generations.
                                I guess I was thinking Museams.
                                Like an Aerospace, or an old lab, like Edison's, and collections like George Eastmans.
                                Jim

Comment

Figures... and probably if I were to find one on ebay it would go for too much...

I passed about 5 yard sales yesterday, should have stopped. I'm looking for computer junk and old tube radios. If I could just find a transformer for this old RCA R8 I'm working on...
                                  post the specs.
                                  i might have one here.
                                  i collect/restore vintage electronics.
                                  on the bench now is a fisher 400.a curb find.still has all its original telefunken 12ax7's too.

Comment

I believe the rough specs are:

Two 2.5v filament windings, one is center tapped and goes to all heaters+dial lamp, except the AVC tube. The other is not center tapped and just goes to AVC heater. This is the hardest thing to find in a new transformer.

One 5v winding for rectifier heater

One 600 volt or so center tapped winding for the B+ and B- circuits. Not sure what the original voltage was, this is approximate.

Horizontal mount, not sure of exact physical size.

Radio was made in 1932.

Comment

kc8adu -
                                      i suspect in 20 years most electronics we bought today will biodegrade even if new in the box.
                                      I fear you are right...

seems 6 years in a car is about the limit for plastic parts before they start breaking. just about everything electronic made after 1980 is junk.
                                      Well, aren't these plastic parts was made to last 1000 years and still be flexible? I believe it is possible to make good plastic. Some plastic parts in our first family car, back from 1982 is still possible to bend and they did not broke, so there is a way...

However it is probably less expensive when it is made to not last long - not to mention that the customer is then forced to buy a new car = good for the economy, bad for the customer and living enviroment AND resources ...

Comment

I have a board here from a Compaq Presario 5000. Socket A board w/Duron 750.

There are a few Choyo 1500uf 10v caps, some I.Q. 1500uf 6.3v caps, and some smaller caps by S.I. that are 470uf and 1000uf 10v.

Are the S.I. caps going to be a problem, or should I just change the 1500uf caps? They are not bulging yet, but I don't want to take any chances on them.

But not bad considering I got this computer off the side of the road... 20GB HDD, 96MB PC100, CDRW drive, Nvidia Vanta AGP, Lan, and Modem are with it too. Even got the original keyboard and mouse Too bad the side panel is missing so I need another case.
                                        If it is a 5108us case, the one with the blue front, and the cd holder. I have a case that I was going to get rid of. If you are interested, I can take a picture and post it. I dont want anything for it, but getting it from West Virginia to Michigan would be a problem. I could even just send you the parts that you need. By the way this one came off the side of the road also.

Comment

Working...
                                        X