GA-965P-S3 won't post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GA-965P-S3 won't post

The motherboard won't POST, most of the time it won't even start properly - the PSU fan spins up but the CPU fan doesn't. It looks like it gets a little bit of power then the power is shut off.

Last week I was able to get it to boot a couple of times with the CPU fan not spinning at all.

All of the caps look OK but I'm still suspicious. Most are Nichion HM, a few Evercons, G-Luxons and two Panasonic caps (3300uF 6.3V). All 1500uF 16V caps around the CPU socket are Nichion HM H0609.

Bad caps or not?

UPDATE: I had some spare time so I decided to replace all four 1500uF 16V Nichions with Samxon GC caps.

After I push the power button, the CPU fan starts to spin after 3 seconds. Still no POST, no beeps. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Half-Saint; 06-04-2014, 09:27 AM.

Re: GA-965P-S3 won't post

Originally posted by Half-Saint View Post

After I push the power button, the CPU fan starts to spin after 3 seconds. Still no POST, no beeps. Any other suggestions?
    More likely a bad socket pin, if 775!
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

^
      unlikely. It would be pretty obvious if that was the case. It's unlikely to be bad caps too. My money is on the chipset.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
        ^
        unlikely. It would be pretty obvious if that was the case. It's unlikely to be bad caps too. My money is on the chipset.
        Is there any way to confirm this? Would bad chipset cause a delay in the mobo powering up?

UPDATE: just checked and the CPU pins are fine. Also tried it with another CPU and two other PSUs but no dice.
        Last edited by Half-Saint; 06-05-2014, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Have you tried verifying the basics Memory, Video Card. Sound to me like a MosFet is failing or already failed. But the same could be as simple as a cracked joint.
          A Picture of subject is always Welcome

Things saved from the e-landfill:
          Vizio VA26LHDTV10T 26" - Bad EEPROM Cap
          Asus PTGD1-LA Full Recap - Cha1 DDR socket damage
          MSI PM8M3-V Unstable CPU Recap CPU VRM circuit
          ViewSonic VA712B - still working on it
          Kindle Fire USB Connector
          MSI G31M-F Full Recap - Record Breaker done in 3Hrs.
          MSI P67A-G43 BIOS chip Reprogram - Tested and Happy

The list will go on thanks to the people of this forum and many hours of reading.

Comment

I tried it with known good video cards, PCI as well as PCI-e and known good memory modules. To me the symptoms look the same as when the separate 12V connector isn't connected.

Comment

turn the pcb upside-down and power it up.
              then meter the voltage across the caps around the cpu.

Comment

I got 12V on 1500uF 16V caps, 1.3V on all the rest including both 3300uF 6.3V.

Comment

then it sounds like you have the cpu voltage.
                  check the voltage on any regulator near the ram

Comment

I've fixed a few of those boards and it's either been the chipset/RAM regulator or the BIOS. Meter caps near the RAM slots and see if you get 1.8v on them. If you do, try flashing the BIOS.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I get 1.8V on two out of three. Only get 0.9V on the last one. Is that normal?

Upon closer inspection, some elements left of the RAM slots appear to be covered in something sticky. Among them there are two K3918 transistors as well as 40T036H.

EDIT #2: BIOS is not socketed so I'd have to desolder it and put it back after flashing. Maybe someone has done it with UNIFLASH without removing the chip?
                      Last edited by Half-Saint; 06-13-2014, 07:22 AM.

Comment

and how would you run uniflash?

Comment

I've read about people flashing the bios from floppy with a PC that wouldn't POST.

Comment

that's using a recovery flasher in the bootblock of the bios usually.
                            most older boards dont have that.

Comment

I'm seriously considering giving up on this board... spent too much time on it already. I don't have a suitable adapter for my Willem programmer so even if I managed to desolder the BIOS chip I wouldn't be able to program it.
                              Last edited by Half-Saint; 06-26-2014, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Doesn't that board have a SPI flash? You can program it with a few resistors off the parallel port...
                                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I replaced one of the Samxon GC caps with a Panasonic FC 1500uF 16V and the board gets past POST now. I wonder, if Samxon GC caps are not a suitable replacement. I see that in some cases, Rubycon MBZ caps were used on this model and they seem identical to Nichion HM. Since MBZ caps are no longer made, would ZLJ be a suitable replacement?

Comment

Looks like one successful poly mod! Thanks to c_hegge for helping out.

There's just one last piece of the puzzle. When you power it on, it doesn't start immediately. There's a faint click from the PSU then another one a second or two later and that's when it starts. The board goes past POST fine. I have yet to install Windows to see how everything runs.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by Half-Saint; 12-04-2014, 04:11 AM.

Comment

That's interesting I would never have thought it to be the caps. Samxon GC should have worked fine there. What brand/model of PSU are you using? I remember that my GA-EP45-DS3L would often do something a bit like that. When the power button was pressed, it would power on for half a second then off again. Then it would start properly a second or two later. If your PSU has a relay to bypass the NTC thermistor when it powers up, then the clicking as it powers on or off is quite normal.
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

and i have this board too. sent it to Gigabyte Turkey but they couldn't solve this problem. they changed CPU socket.

after that i want to re-use solid caps around the CPU.

all of them desolder and i see one is bad.

and want to re-use mosfet near the rem slot that name's 40T03GH.
                                        i realise that they are under the voltages.

must be 550 V but around 400 v.

this is a good autopsy..
                                        Last edited by mikail13; 08-03-2015, 03:17 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Working...
                                        X