Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CPU at 100% after RECAP

Originally posted by Gianni
    they are ATI Radeon 9200 and Nvidia GeForce FX5200.
    Ok, low consumption models.

It is a Seasonic 250W, I attach here a picture. [...]
    I think this PSU is not so bad compared to the Pan Star (attached picture) which is the same power rating.
    The Seasonic is a real 250W psu, maybe still good; the Pan Star is a 150W or less device based on an ancient design (who employs so many resistors nowadays?), filterless (nope, it'll smoke but isn't a cigarette ) and with underrated components. Expect fireworks if you dare connecting it to a power outlet ...

Don't burn your home!
    Zandrax
    Have an happy life.

Comment

I have tested, only few minutes, the Seasonic Model SS-250FS with active load.

The label has these parameters:

+3.3V/20A +5V/25A +12V/13A -5V/0.3A -12V/0.8A +5VST/2A

Max power on +3.3V/+5v 150W (33A)
      Max current on -5V/-12V 0.8A

Max Output Power 250W.

I tested it with some fixed load (resistors) on some outputs because I can't modify too much the testing connectors/cables I use for job:

33ohm on 5VST (150mA)
      220ohm on -12V (54mA)
      100ohm on -5V (50mA)

On the power output I used Chroma 6314 as follow:

+3.3V 15A
      +5V 15A
      +12V 10A

Total output power: 246W

At low load, only fixed resistors and active load excluded, I measured the output voltages:

5Vst --> 4.98V
      3.3 --> 3.34V
      5 --> 5.25V
      12 --> 11.56V
      -12 --> -10.25V
      -5 --> -4.97V

At full load (246W) the otput were:

5Vst --> 4.91V ripple 50mVpp
      3.3 --> 3.32V ripple 30mVpp
      5 --> 4.88V ripple 30mVpp
      12 --> 12.11V ripple 60mVpp
      -12 --> -12.38V ripple 40mVpp
      -5 --> -5.04V ripple 40mVpp

The ripple is at switching frequency 100KHz, the residual modulation due to 100Hz line rectification ripple was absent.

Like zandrax wrote, this is a real 250W.
      I don't know if it is worthwhile to recap it with good brand caps since the OST caps look good (no bulged or leaking) and also from ripple measurements they seem to work properly.

Don't burn your home!
      Don't worry, as you can see from the Pan Star pic I have removed also the input power switch... so I'm sure I can't power it.
      I don't know the switching frequency of this PSU, but looking at trafo size, which is half of Seasonic, I think it can't support 250W a probably not even 150W.

Ciao
      Gianni
      "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
      H. J. Brown

Comment

@ arneson: sorry but I can't follow you, I don't understand how "windows internet time update" can crash the MOBO when it is not connected.
        Please can you clarify? Probably you are talking about something I don't know about WinXP.

About BIOS battery, I have replaced it and verified with a DMM and it is OK.
        The only thing strange is that sometime with Everest, when I read the MOBO parameters, the Battery voltage is displayed as 2.03V instead of 3.03V. I don't know if this problem depends on Everest, Windows or it is "part of the problem", but I swear the voltage is 3.03V.

@ Newbie2: the battery is CR2032. About the video card I stay with Nvidia 64MB if no other problem happens with AGP bus.

@ kc8adu and zandrax: I'm trying to get a Newton Power, zandrax you know about it. About the videocard: they have not an auxiliary power connector, they are ATI Radeon 9200 and Nvidia GeForce FX5200.

Today I have used the PC and it worked without problems. I have run another load test and it succeeded.
        By the way, my friend gave me the original PSU, fortunately she has not trashed it yet. It is a Seasonic 250W, I attach here a picture. The OST caps look good, they are not bulged or leaking. If I can, I will give it a run on my Chroma active load to see how good are the voltages... ok if my boss is not in office .
        I think this PSU is not so bad compared to the Pan Star (attached picture) which is the same power rating. The Pan Star is full of JPCON caps, one is bulged on the output. By the way, it is better to say "Pan Star" is empty: few caps on output, no output inductance and no input filter.
        The fan is missing because I have used it in one cabinet , I decided that this PSU is good only for trash.

I have also the possibility to use a P4 2.66GHz instead of the 2.8, next week i have to meet a friend that have one spare CPU.

Thanks for your help, I will let you know how it goes
        Gianni
        Use the Seasonic that your friend supplied to you, that "Pan Star" is so empty that even an L&C or DEER power supply looks slightly better.

Try using that slower P4 too.
        My gaming PC:
        AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
        ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
        PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
        G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
        TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
        WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
        ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
        Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
        Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
        Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
        Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

I have tested, only few minutes, the Seasonic Model SS-250FS with active load.

The label has these parameters:

+3.3V/20A +5V/25A +12V/13A -5V/0.3A -12V/0.8A +5VST/2A

Max power on +3.3V/+5v 150W (33A)
          Max current on -5V/-12V 0.8A

Max Output Power 250W.
          It should be the 2003 model: ATX 2.01 compliant so you can power the P4 without hassles. The only thing not to do is powering an high-end AGP graphic cards because the 12 V line is sufficient for the cpu but not enough for a power hungry graphic chip: your ATI and nVidia ones are ok.

Tensions ad ripples are within specs: if you have an ESR meter, you can test caps' resistance. IIRC, Ost caps are bad caps for motherboards but average ones for psus (slightly lower than Teapo, though): they should last.

Don't worry, as you can see from the Pan Star pic I have removed also the input power switch... so I'm sure I can't power it.
          Well done, a dead psu can't harm your pc anymore. I don't think you can cannibal it with proficiency: perhaps coils, FETs and transformers may be saved, scrap the spare parts.
          I don't know the switching frequency of this PSU, but looking at trafo size, which is half of Seasonic, I think it can't support 250W a probably not even 150W.
          Open a 150 W AT psu and compare [Old AT wins, I bet it :P ].

Zandrax
          Have an happy life.

Comment

I couldn't resist

Last Tuesday, after 3 days that P4PB had worked fine, it crashed while I was browsing.
            I was not able to restart it pushing reset button, switching off the PSU.
            The only thing it did was running FAN and the POWER LED.

I was so tired and angry that I searched in internet a MOBO for SKT 478 and I found the Asrock P4I65G at 44€, I couldn't resist and I bought it to make test because I have not received P4 2.66 and Power Newton PSU yet.

I have rebuild the PC with the original parts of the PC: CPU, Ati Videocard, RAM, HD, DVD, Seasonic PSU.

The PC is stable, I had no problem during installation, working with it and doing some test (MemTest86+, S&M).

So finally I will give back the PC this afternoon to my friend, she is happy since it is more than one month she can't use it.

Now I have to find a HS/FAN for P4, I want to give a run to P4PB when I will receive CPU and PSU, but I bet the problem is still in the board.

About Asrock: I'm sorry to see it has 4 nice Sanyo caps on the 12V for CPU, but it is full of OST caps on VRM and all around the board.
            Since it is under warranty (2yrs) , I don't touch anything, as soon as the warranty finish, I can recap it... unless it fails before .
            I attach here 4 pics, I'm sorry I'm not able to take close up clearly, some pics are blurry.

Ciao
            Gianni
            Attached Files
            "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
            H. J. Brown

Comment

Re: I couldn't resist

Last Tuesday, after 3 days that P4PB had worked fine, it crashed while I was browsing.
              I was not able to restart it pushing reset button, switching off the PSU.
              The only thing it did was running FAN and the POWER LED.
              Damn! Do you see something burned or smoked?

About Asrock: I'm sorry to see it has 4 nice Sanyo caps on the 12V for CPU, but it is full of OST caps on VRM and all around the board.
              Since it is under warranty (2yrs) , I don't touch anything, as soon as the warranty finish, I can recap it... unless it fails before .
              The p4i65g seems a good mobo: main weirdness is the placement of the EPS 4 pin connector, it's near PS/2 ports while ATX connector is near ram slots. Nobody capable of putting them together, it seems
              I just hope OSTs don't fail in a few months, that woul'd be a bad sign.

Zandrax
              Have an happy life.

Comment

Originally posted by zandrax
                Damn! Do you see something burned or smoked?
                No, nothing at all!
                I need an exorcist to remove the devil from it!!

Originally posted by zandrax
                I just hope OSTs don't fail in a few months, that woul'd be a bad sign.
                Me too!! I don't want to use the warranty service, it is always difficult to have a fast and reliable service in general, I don't know if Asrock and the shop where I bought the MOBO have a good customer support.

Ciao
                Gianni
                H. J. Brown

Comment

Working...
                X