X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test CPU without damaging motherboard?

OK so somebody gave me an Intel Q9300 CPU:
    http://ark.intel.com/products/33922/...333-MHz-FSB%29
    But he claims that it's broken because he was doing some sort of voltage mod and it got shorted.
    He's like "you can have it but don't kill your mobo"
    i found this http://www.hothardware.com/articleim...42/small_3.jpg mine is missing the 4 tan thing in the middle and one of the blue thing... is that bad?
    I've got an ECS/Elitegroup motherboard, that IIRC supports 1333 Quad cores.
    Can I test the CPU without risk of mobo damage? How do I fix the CPU?
    I really want this to work,
    thank you!
    Last edited by shovenose; 01-07-2012, 06:17 PM.

Re: Test CPU without damaging motherboard?

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
    ... How do I fix the CPU?
    dude, once the CPU is shorted, its gone forever!

-Ben
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

You may as well go suck eggs as try and 'fix' a CPU shovey. If I were you I'd just install it in the mobo and see what happens - keep your fingers crossed it doesn't end up going
      System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Originally posted by dumpystig View Post
        - keep your fingers crossed it doesn't end up going
        fixed.

--------

yeah, when its shot, its shot. not fixable. Trash (unless you need a socket protector for board storage).
        Last edited by ratdude747; 01-07-2012, 07:35 PM.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Didn't see that one ratty, yet it's right above the one I used????
          System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Just stick it in that ECS board of yours. It's a few years old now, so it's gonna die in a few months anyway.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              Just stick it in that ECS board of yours. It's a few years old now, so it's gonna die in a few months anyway.
              Just because I can't afford a $500 Gigabyte motherboard doesn't mean my $40 ECS board is crap! I haven't had a single issue, and it runs great under high load for about 12hrs/day (SMP F@H)...

Comment

Originally posted by dumpystig View Post
                You may as well go suck eggs as try and 'fix' a CPU shovey. If I were you I'd just install it in the mobo and see what happens - keep your fingers crossed it doesn't end up going
                Could it kill my motherboard?

Comment

of course, i've seen it happen

I saw my dumbass ex-boss try to upgrade an old HT P4 sony by putting a pentium dual core inside it...I told him P4s run with higher voltage and it might not work.

silicon burning smell next. a quick 'told you so' followed
                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                    of course, i've seen it happen

I saw my dumbass ex-boss try to upgrade an old HT P4 sony by putting a pentium dual core inside it...I told him P4s run with higher voltage and it might not work.

silicon burning smell next. a quick 'told you so' followed
                    Oh I've put my Core 2 Duo E6600 that's currently in the ECS board in about 3 different P4-only boards, wondering why it doesn't work, until I realized the chipsets dont' support it.
                    Neither the CPUs nor the boards were toast, though!

Comment

OK so somebody gave me an Intel Q9300 CPU:
                      http://ark.intel.com/products/33922/...333-MHz-FSB%29
                      But he claims that it's broken because he was doing some sort of voltage mod and it got shorted.
                      He's like "you can have it but don't kill your mobo"
                      i found this http://www.hothardware.com/articleim...42/small_3.jpg mine is missing the 4 tan thing in the middle and one of the blue thing... is that bad?
                      The "tan things" are ceramic caps. Most of the time, those are there to filter high-frequency ripple going to the CPU so the CPU may actually still work without them (but maybe not very reliably). I'm not really sure what the "blue thing" is - I would guess a resistor most likely... and very likely the CPU won't work right without it (and by that, I mean it probably won't get recognized by the board, assuming that it hasn't been damaged in any other way).

As for whether or not this CPU can damage your board - I'm not quite sure.
                      If your board supports quad cores, then I would guess most likely not. Normally the PWM controllers for the VRM MOSFETs have the option to shut down if they are overloaded. But who knows if ECS actually decided to use that option.
                      Last edited by momaka; 01-08-2012, 12:00 AM.

Comment

of course a cpu can damage a board, not necessarily one will

there could be a direct short between the vrm and something hooking to the northbridge
                        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

This is an odd choice:
                          1. Put it in and see if it works,. Pros: could have a working free quadcore Cons: killed mobo
                          2. Replace resistor, then do option #1
                          3. Toss it. Pros: no risk on motherboard Cons: missing out on quad core epicness...

What do y'all think, should I do it?

Comment

There's also option 4...
                            4. put the CPU on a shelf and wait until you get a better or more crappy board than your current one. If it's better, move your Core 2 in that and use the ECS to test the quad. If it's more crappy - well put the quad core in it and see if it blends .

Comment

Too impatient for option 4, even though that's a very good idea
                              That's what I might end up doing...

Anybody want to test a CPU for me?
                              :P jk

Comment

I've circled in red the missing components.
                                Attached Files

Comment

...I can't afford a $500 Gigabyte motherboard
                                  That's what MSI are for
                                  doesn't mean my $40 ECS board is #@*&. I haven't had a single issue, and it runs great under high load for about 12hrs/day (SMP F@H)
                                  My experience with ECS has been very different to yours. I tried a couple out for myself a few years ago, and they both died after only 6 months. At work, they don't show up particularly often in PCs, but when they do, they are usually dead. With Gigabyte, nearly every second computer I work on has a gigabyte board, but I still see just as many ECS boards go in the bin as Gigabyte. I don't see that many MSI or Intel boards in the bin either. I used an MSI board in My grandma's PC (socket A). It's still going strong to this day.

Back on topic, I'd say go with options 2 and 4.
                                  Last edited by c_hegge; 01-08-2012, 04:45 AM.
                                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I've circled in red the missing components.
                                    Yup, confimed. Those are "tan things" alright!

Hey, if you can write your own browser, a few "tan things" are hardly a challenge.

A few more smileys just so you know I'm just messin with you.
                                    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
                                      Yup, confimed. Those are "tan things" alright!

Hey, if you can write your own browser, a few "tan things" are hardly a challenge.

A few more smileys just so you know I'm just messin with you.
                                      lol

Comment

Well, I tried it in my other S775 PC (Dell Optiplex 745) that usually Beeps and makes a loud fan noise when you stick a 1333 FSB CPU in (I've tried)...
                                        anyway, it smelled like shit and didn't even beep...
                                        I was afraid I fried my mobo but I put a Pentium Dual Core back in and it's fine... (I didn't want to put the E6600 in again in case it would kill the CPU...
                                        Result: bad CPU, no mobo damage!

Comment

Working...
                                        X