Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realistic DX-300 Communications Receiver

Realistic DX-300 Communications Receiver

Some time ago I acquired an old Realistic DX-300 SW receiver (Ex Ansett Airlines), amassed opinion dictated this radio had a degree of AC hum even when new as did many products of this era, built around 1980 this radio had begun to exhibit AC hum with the incoming signals which is not exactly ideal as you could imagine whether or not you're an audiophile.

Unable to locate a suitable source of Samxon's I revisited Hitano Low ESR capacitors which had served me well in the past (motherboards) thankfully these are available relatively locally (Wiltonic's Australia), the end result was a radio 95% repopulated with healthy capacitors and a virtually undetectable AC hum (feint with volume at 0% only).

Interesting to notice that the bland grey capacitors used in it's construction are identical to the type used in the Cobra CB radios of the same period (and which also BTW require replacement) [see picture 5].

The receiver has since been sold off to a new home I trust the new owner will have as much fun with it as I did for an extended service life, it has since been replaced here by a Kenwood R1000.
    Attached Files
    Viva LA Retro!
Working...
X