Belkin N150 drops connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belkin N150 drops connection

The Belkin N150 at school is being annoying. Drops connection, when I get it back, it usually only works for a few minutes. I am not the only one having problems with this. I use windows 7, but others who use mac osx, and linux or ubuntu have the same issues.

We got this thing back in '09. Has been plugged in even since. Bad capacitors maybe? This issue just started recently (about a month or two ago).

Take note, this is the older N150, NOT the new sleek one.

I know its a cheapo, but it was working fine before...

No ISP changes, not much increase in users (max is about 20 at a time). There are no issues with the ISP either.

Oh, and when this connection 'drop' occurs, we all can still connect to the router, but we can't access the internet.

Any ideas?
    Muh-soggy-knee

Re: Belkin N150 drops connection

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
    We got this thing back in '09. Has been plugged in even since. Bad capacitors maybe? This issue just started recently (about a month or two ago).

Oh, and when this connection 'drop' occurs, we all can still connect to the router, but we can't access the internet.

Any ideas?
    It could be a number of things.

1) Firmware could be initally buggy, but you never ran into the problem until more users, more wifi interference, etc.

2) Bad caps in the router or power adapter.

3) I suggest opening two DOS windows. In one, do a

ping -t 192.168.1.1 (IP address of router).

In another, do a

ping -t 8.8.8.8 (Google's name server)

When the connection drops, it will be help determine if your router is the problem or the ISP.

PS. 3 years is 24 x 365 x 3 = 26,280 hours power on time. So it could be bad caps if the router is in a hot environment.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Re: Belkin N150 drops connection

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      It could be a number of things.

1) Firmware could be initally buggy, but you never ran into the problem until more users, more wifi interference, etc.

2) Bad caps in the router or power adapter.

3) I suggest opening two DOS windows. In one, do a

ping -t 192.168.1.1 (IP address of router).

In another, do a

ping -t 8.8.8.8 (Google's name server)

When the connection drops, it will be help determine if your router is the problem or the ISP.

PS. 3 years is 24 x 365 x 3 = 26,280 hours power on time. So it could be bad caps if the router is in a hot environment.
      Great, I will try the ping thing during school on monday!

The router always feels only slightly warm on the outside, but it has no vent holes - it might be baking inside. The same thing for the power adapter. I do remember it being a little on the light side, but it is an SMPS, so....

Side note ... my ping to www.google.com at home is around 30ms
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
      X