Frequent Freezes GA-8N-SLI Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frequent Freezes GA-8N-SLI Pro

Ever since installing Windows Vista I've been having problems with my computer. I figured it might have been an OS problem so I hopped the Windows 7 bandwagon when it was released. Unfortunately the problem persisted. I've swapped out many components; video card, ram, and as of recent a PSU once it failed. Removing the PSU I saw a 16v 1000uf capacitor bulged out with very slight (imperceptible without being really close to it) gray discharge. I was wondering if a single capacitor could cause so much problems. I checked all of my capacitors and this was the only one that's perceptibly defective. I've ordered replacements as the problem has gotten a lot worse with freezes happening about every five hours now. It's usually around two weeks before and about a month back when I had Vista (I kept logs). I appreciate all input.

Re: Frequent Freezes GA-8N-SLI Pro

Can a single bad cap cause problems? - Yes.

Is it possible you have only one bad cap? - Yes.

Is it likely you have one bad cap? - No.

~~
    Where was this bad cap?

What kind of PSU?

Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

SLI board -> nVidia Chipset -> there's your problem

Comment

The location of the bad cap: all the way to the right, 2nd down near the 2 solid capacitors.

The PSU (new) is a Corsair TX650.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
          SLI board -> nVidia Chipset -> there's your problem
          It's a C19-MCP04 from 2006 so I don't think it applies from what I've read.
          Last edited by Blaze589; 06-25-2010, 08:17 PM.

Comment

That cap is likely +12v to CPU VRM.
            What was the PSU on it before.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Before it was a Coolmax 550w CX series PSU. It's as generic as they come but I didn't know any better at the time. Before I tossed it I opened it and I saw a cluster of like capacitors; all them were popped.

Comment

Coolmax probably killed the mobo caps [or the chipset or both], then you switched PSUs.

Pull your north and south bridge heat-sinks, clean the chips off, and look for melting, shinny spots, pits or cracks on the chips.
                If you got some the board is dead, if not then you still dunno for sure.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

It took a little searching on how to remove the heatsinks. They're fine both north and southbridges. Some time this week the replacement caps will arrive (Nichicon HZ 16v 1000uF). I'll post my verdict within a month or two on my stability issues.

Note: I've addressed the short term 5-6 hour freezes by underclocking my ram. They're PC6400 rated at 400MHz; I'm running them at 333.3MHz now. This has not happened in the past with my configuration. The ram does run quite hot though and it has been a little warm these past few days. My guess is that the short term freezes might be heat related. But the overarching problem is unknown. Hopefully replacing the bulging cap will help. Thanks for the help PCBONEZ.

Comment

that may also be caused by the chipset caps and RAM slot caps... or more like the serious lack of the latter..

http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/gigaby...oyal/board.jpg
                    all those empty cap spots near the RAM slots make me wanna get my iron out.. ._:

depending on what those caps are (brand/series), the few that are actually there were probably baked over the years..

Comment

@Scenic

I doubt it. Before I was using Kingston Value RAM 2GB (512MB x 4). Those were meant to run at stock speeds only and are slightly warm to the touch. My new RAM are PQI Turbo 4GB (2GB x 2). They were installed late last month.

Edit to Post #9: I said the RAM were PC6400 but really they're PC5400.
                      Last edited by Blaze589; 06-28-2010, 08:15 PM.

Comment

If under-clocking the RAM stabilized the system then I tend to agree with Scenic.
                        Maybe trace some circuits and ad a few caps.

Those caps over by the chipset & RAM aren't Nichicon HM series are they?
                        - Those with date codes from 2001 thru 2004 were bad.

Also I saw photos of one with Chemicon KZG there.
                        Those go bad from heat.

Last edited by PCBONEZ; 06-28-2010, 09:35 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Happy fourth. Sorry for the late reply; I've been a little occupied.

Motherboard Release Date: 06/10/05

I checked all of my Caps; here's the list:
                          Rubycom 6.3v 1000uF (the ones near the ram)
                          "KZJ" 16v 1000uf caps near the CPU (one of them is bulged)
                          Sanyo 6.3v 1500uF (there are two by the CPU)
                          Nichicon 16v 470uF (there are only two and they're by the IEEE and PCIe x1 slot)

I don't have the equipment to trace circuits as this is my first experience with capping.

I tried my hands at fixing the bad cap, but failed miserably. It seems that the soldering point of the caps are really small. The soldering iron can't make adequate contact with the board to desolder and I can't find anything smaller. Any advice?
                          Last edited by Blaze589; 07-04-2010, 06:19 PM.

Comment

KZJ are made by Chemi-Con. they are a japanese company which is generally reliable, bu they have problems with KZG and KZJ series. The rubycons and sanyos should be fine as they are a reliable brand and series. Nichicon had problems with the HN and HM series which they fixed in 2005, so if the date code is later than that, it should be OK. Otherwise, replace them. The date code is usually something like H0320, meaning year 03, week 20, so that date code would be defective.

As for your de-soldering troulbes, put the hot soldering iron on the contact and put a bit of fresh solder on it. That nearly always works for me.
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

The biggest part of you problem may be that GA-8N-SLI Pro is not Vista compatible.

If it was Gigabyte would have Vista drivers and they don't.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

@c hegge
                                I had literally no idea what you meant when you said to apply solder to the board before desoldering until I read the how to on the site. Here I was thinking watching youtube videos would be enough to get the job done. I'll check the codes on the Nichicon caps to make sure they aren't defective the next chance I get.

@PCBONEZ
                                I know what you mean. All of the drivers on the product page don't have workable drivers for Vista/Win7 (using x64). In place of this, the OS downloads and installs the appropriate drivers for the mainboard (all except audio is on the OS DVD). I made sure all drivers were updated by going to the individual product page for the latest drivers. All were installed except one: SM Bus Controller. nVidia drivers: nForce 4 Intel Edition legacy don't work at all. If this recapping attempt fails I'll just have to build a new PC. I felt that recapping might have been a sage idea given my mundane computing needs. If anything it was a nice experience learning about caps and where to purchase them if trouble strikes.

-Blaze589

Comment

as for the drives on the web sites, some sites just have the drivers through the install CD or through the update page.. I have had different things that when i went to the web site to get the drivers, they said straight out that they do not supply them on their site because they are supplied though either the MS site or the install CD.. but the drivers were there.. I have also seen times where the main manufacturers just put some drivers, but not all on their site too. Like sound cards.. I could get them, or more updated ones straight from the chipset site, but not through the manufacturer.. so just because they do not have them on their site, does not mean that they do not make drivers for them.

Comment

I too have a frequent freeze/crash with a SLI mobo, but I think it's the video card it's a Gigabyte 6600LE, and there are three caps on it that are bulged.
                                    1500uF 6.3v KZJ brand

The first symptom was a random BSOD, now it's black screen. It's gotten to a point where it'll crash about 1-2 min after POST. I'm temporary using a 15 year old VGA card until I find a replacement.

Comment

KZJ is a series [not a brand].
                                      You will see a logo that looks like a sheild.
                                      That's Chemicon brand.

Chemicon KZG and KZJ are known problem caps.
                                      They can't handle heat.
                                      [And they don't always bloat when they fail.]
                                      Last edited by PCBONEZ; 07-15-2010, 02:47 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

agreed.. replace all of them of that type and ill bet the vid card runs like new again..

he also started up[ a separate topic about this..

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...374#post113374

please try to keep the same topic about the same problem to one listing..
                                        Last edited by kaniki; 07-15-2010, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X