Remote garage door opener - not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote garage door opener - not working

I have two of these and used the working one to do a comparison measurement. Oddly everything seems to be identical in value when measured. I even did a diode mode measurement (+ probe on - battery terminal) of all components and the ic. The values are the same between the two.

Only difference I’ve noticed is as follows:

Working one:
    12v on C of NPN transistor
    Press button
    0v on both B and E

Bad one:
    12v on C of NPN
    Press button
    1.5v on B
    1.1v on C

But the transistor measures good and has same values of working one

Any idea on this?
    Attached Files

Re: Remote garage door opener - not working

What are the Voltage B and E of that RF output Transistor of both units when button is no pressed?
    When button is pressed, the Transistor will be fed with high RF frequency so the meter cannot handle to show the readings. We are dealing with high frequency here, so the bad one the IC may not be putting out high frequency drive but just steady state output.
    What did you use for circuit ground?
    Last edited by budm; 11-09-2020, 03:43 PM.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I'm not sure you can measure the voltage on that transistor, it's part of the RF electronics. In any case the readings you gave are suspect, especially when you gave "C" twice on the bad one. Please remeasure and also note when you measure voltage, what is your reference point...

Comment

It's hard to tell because the TX transistor operates at VHF and a DMM and long test leads may or may not kill the oscillator at the 315MHz or 433MHz it runs at.
        You need an RF probe or SDR or something to see if it's transmitting anything.

What I do is trim the transmitter frequency. There is an adjustment - usually a trimmer capacitor but here it's a slug inside the white tube on the inductor.
        Put most of it back together and when far away I adjust for the best range.

This is using Microchip Keeloq like HCS30x series with rolling code. So the remote will need to be "learned" by the garage door opener before anything can happen.

Comment

This is a rant

I am sick of manufacturers pulling data sheets off line what is this crap!!!
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
            What I do is trim the transmitter frequency. There is an adjustment - usually a trimmer capacitor but here it's a slug inside the white tube on the inductor.
            Put most of it back together and when far away I adjust for the best range.
            This works sometimes ———>

I would also recommend that you use plastic tools to this type of adjustment
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply
            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Is this any help?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by R_J; 11-09-2020, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                What are the Voltage B and E of that RF output Transistor of both units when button is no pressed?
                When button is pressed, the Transistor will be fed with high RF frequency so the meter cannot handle to show the readings. We are dealing with high frequency here, so the bad one the IC may not be putting out high frequency drive but just steady state output.
                What did you use for circuit ground?
                Both measure 0v when not pressed.

Used battery ground termal when making measurements

Comment

point at a digital camera to see if you see flashes .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                    point at a digital camera to see if you see flashes .
                    This is an R.F device not I.R.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                      This is an R.F device not I.R.
                      there is a frequency counter device for that job then . seen them used for car key programming to car .

Comment

Noticed a mistake in my original post. Can’t edit it so I’ll post here:

Working one:
                        12v on C of NPN transistor
                        Press button
                        0v on both B and E

Bad one:
                        12v on C of NPN
                        Press button
                        1.5v on B
                        1.1v on E (originally wrote C by mistake)

Comment

Maybe measure the voltage drop across the 300R resistor going to MCU power on pin 8. 12V on one side and MCU power on the other. Or measure the current drain on 12V power in.
                          The MPS918 is pretty tough and not likely to fail, although I'm not sure what happens when a battery is put in backwards on one of these.

On the working one, the transistor reading zero on B, E is not right- it's just off then and doing nothing. The MCU makes 66 bits at 0.1 to 0.4msec/bit pulses when the button is pushed. So a slow multimeter will not catch that.

Comment

The way I was able to get readings was to hold the button down. If just pressed normally it was too fast to see anything.

I’m curious what the white tube wrapped in thick wire is. Is that was transmits the signal?

What component is most likely to fail on this? I’m not familiar with the operation of one of these

Comment

all i have seen wrong with similar ones is dead batteries failed switches and bad solder joints . and corrosion .

Comment

The white tube with the wire is the coil along with one of the small capacitors that sets the r.f. frequency. I use sdr spectrum analyser software and a cheap usb receiver (RTL2832) to check these now. You could swap the ic or transistor between the two units.
                                Last edited by R_J; 11-10-2020, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Something still doesn't make sense, i'd expect the voltages on the "working" one to have different voltages on B and E, and neither 0V - unless you can't see it.

Pin 7 appears to be an LED output on the IC that's not connected/used, you should connect an LED there and see if that at least blinks - seems simple enough, connect anode of LED to pin 8 of the IC and cathode to pin 7.

Comment

It is too high of the frequency for the meter to see the drive Voltage to the Transistor, and probe leads also affect the circuit as well.
                                    He can try using AM radio, it will pick up harmonic of the transmitter, set to the lowest frequency and unused, you should hear pulses when you activate the button, I just verify that with my AM radio (I had to extend the antenna and put the transmitter right next to it) and my garage door opener. I use AM radio a lot as noise detector.
                                    Last edited by budm; 11-10-2020, 02:39 PM.
                                    Never stop learning
                                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                      It is too high of the frequency for the meter to see the drive Voltage to the Transistor, and probe leads also affect the circuit as well.
                                      He can try using AM radio, it will pick up harmonic of the transmitter, set to the lowest frequency and unused, you should hear pulses when you activate the button, I just verify that with my AM radio (I had to extend the antenna and put the transmitter right next to it) and my garage door opener. I use AM radio a lot as noise detector.
                                      Just tried on stations 520-540 and couldn't hear anything from either one (working and bad)

Comment

just swap that rf device out and see if the problem goes with it. Also the transmitter and the receiver need to be paired.
                                        Last edited by CapLeaker; 11-10-2020, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X