Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CH341a SPI / I²C programmer

Originally posted by stj View Post
    Linux can run .net junk using the MONO package.
    Yeah, this is true, but I meant there's probably no native Linux versions. We can run Windows programs using WINE as well. Personally, I prefer native apps.

If I'm going to write a program, I try to write it for Windows and Linux users. I do most of my development in Linux, funny though, when I write here, most of the time it's on my wife's machine, which runs <eek> Windows 10!

But it's good to have a 10 machine. Got 7 in a virtual machine on the server, and I run KVM. Thinking of maybe switching though. Having a lot of issues with it supporting the host CPU. I have to pick a CPU with less options.

I think this is because of some microcode updates and the way KVM works. It relies on some package developed by someone else who hasn't updated something or something along those lines. I tried finding a work-around but never really got far.

I run CentOS 7 on the server right now. Once I started using the VirtIO driver for the hard drive, things where much faster. Got the NIC in using the VirtIO driver as well, but changed it from 10Gbps to 1Gbps.

Kinda regretting going for the cheaper cat 6 ethernet cables. I'm almost tempted to buy the really expensive stuff and use that. The stuff that's real smooth and not plastic feeling like. I dunno.

Wish I could get my wife interested in this project I'm working on so I can get rid of the few people who have joined. She knows AutoCAD and it probably wouldn't take her much to learn KiCAD. Eagles out the window now, which is too bad. We'll be using the CH341A to program some of the chips, and the PicKit3 for the rest I guess, so it's kinda on topic to this post.
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Not using it. Don't know what it supports. Just using as example. Know nothing about programming
      I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

What do you think of this? I need to program nand flash https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackcat-US...kAAOSw9N1VqMpw

Comment

Originally posted by dskall View Post
          What do you think of this? I need to program nand flash https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackcat-US...kAAOSw9N1VqMpw
          You need to work out what kind of NAND you will be programming first.
          I looked to get one to so the NAND in Samsung TVs and the cheapest was about £140. There were some cheap ones that claimed to support it but didn't.

Comment

HY27SS08561A is the one I need to program. Copied off supported devices in the user manual. This is what I am actually looking at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/302387526194

Comment

Originally posted by dskall View Post
              HY27SS08561A is the one I need to program. Copied off supported devices in the user manual. This is what I am actually looking at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/302387526194
              When working with NAND Flash be well aware you have to workout the OOB data!
              (Not sure if the software will handle that for you...?!)

Comment

Hi,

Trying to activate Intel Speed Shift on my Z170p d3 led me to buy CH341A and two W25Q128FV to try.
                In all scenarios I removed the CAP header using UBUTool.
                Modified 2021 (not sure) bios file with AMICPB 5.02 by changing the access to USER for Intel Speed Shift Option.

Problem:
                No matter if I write vanilla bios to new EEPROM or modified one my mobo starts for 2 sec then switches of for 3 sec in a infinite (max 20 tested) loop. No display no beeps.
                Tried CH341A v 1.13 and 1.29 - same result.
                Tried with FD44 with board data filled in - same result.

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Please try attached BIOS.

Make sure you have all the options checked in auto and then click auto.

It will tell you if the images match after you finish flashing.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=174070&stc=1&d=1522327357
                  Attached Files
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                    Please try attached BIOS.

Make sure you have all the options checked in auto and then click auto.

It will tell you if the images match after you finish flashing.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=174070&stc=1&d=1522327357
                    Thanks but it didn't help. Tried to erase the chip and fill it with EE values. Looks like some areas are not reprogrammed. Checked it twice and the areas are not the same- at least few. Looks like problem with CH341A driver/ software.

Comment

Originally posted by rycy View Post
                      Thanks but it didn't help. Tried to erase the chip and fill it with EE values. Looks like some areas are not reprogrammed. Checked it twice and the areas are not the same- at least few. Looks like problem with CH341A driver/ software.
                      Forgot to mention that the result was negative therefore I tried filling it with EEs.

Comment

Which programmer are you using?
                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Which programmer are you using?
                          CH341A - black edition. In fact I'm using two of them.

Comment

Tried flashrom_CH341A for flashing. Verification passed. Same symptoms at boot. Maybe there is a boot section which need special care?

Comment

Tried flashrom_CH341A for flashing. Verification passed. Same symptoms at boot. Maybe there is a boot section which need special care?
                              Maybe there is something wrong with both your flashers?

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth
                              -Sherlock Holmes

Comment

if it verified then i'd say the hardware is good, maybe your dump is bad or incomplete.

Comment

I want to say with some boards, they have a .sig file, which I believe is an SHA-<something> signature, and only the manufacturers have the private key to sign the BIOSes. Without the proper sig file, the boards I've attempted to flash with a modified BIOS experience similar situations.

Another possibility, I hate to say it, is you just don't have a good solder joint. I've ran into that a few times. Thought the EEPROM was properly soldered. I carefully take a DMM and set it to continuity mode, and then carefully, without putting pressure on it, put a probe on the side of each pin, and then the other probe on the pad, to make sure there's a good connection. I might try getting under the pin a bit and prying up, ever so carefully, just to see if it's really soldered.
                                  -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

It is also very likely that UEFITool is not extracting the BIOS properly from the .CAP file.

What I would do is dump your original *working* BIOS chip (if you didn't overwrite it), write the dump to one of the new chips, and see if it boots with the new chip.

If it still won't boot, then there are three possibilities:

1) The hardware is defective
                                    2) The chips are defective
                                    3) The chips and hardware are incompatible (Many CH341A programmers do not support all voltages)

Comment

It is also very likely that UEFITool is not extracting the BIOS properly from the .CAP file.

What I would do is dump your original *working* BIOS chip (if you didn't overwrite it), write the dump to one of the new chips, and see if it boots with the new chip.

If it still won't boot, then there are three possibilities:

1) The hardware is defective
                                      2) The chips are defective
                                      3) The chips and hardware are incompatible (Many CH341A programmers do not support all voltages)
                                      Hi

Tried with the dump from original w25q128FV with removed CAP. same thing.
                                      What i've noticed that none of the flashing programs are reading all the areas of the ROM. The part FD44 is missing. I have one dump from original ROM with this data but I'm pretty sure that it is not being written to other chips.
                                      Summary:
                                      I think that the original chip has some info written in area not seen by programming soft.

At the very begining I played with the original chip and bricked it. Reflashing restored it immidietly. ch341a programing soft v 1.30 has an option:
                                      Programming Range (Write/verify/read/bankChcek)
                                      - Main Memory
                                      - Secured OTP
                                      - Main memory + Secured OTP

Enabling 3 option showed result once, second tab in memory map appeared but soft crashed - it is very unstable anyhow.

I think I'll stick with ThrottleStop ofr intel speed shift, no fun with bios tweaking.

Thank you for your help

Comment

To answer questions:
                                        I have original chip working, dump from it does not work on other chips.
                                        Both flashers broken- possible but that would be a bad luck.

Spork Schivago seems to be right. Original chips with extra data are working that is why there are so many positive results in the net.

Comment

To answer questions:
                                          I have original chip working, dump from it does not work on other chips.
                                          Both flashers broken- possible but that would be a bad luck.

Spork Schivago seems to be right. Original chips with extra data are working that is why there are so many positive results in the net.
                                          Maybe try flashrom_CH341A with the original dump on a new chip? Try dumping from within the system rather than with the CH341A, or vice versa if you have been doing that until now.

I have used the .cap extraction method with Asus before, and have never had this problem (though I do have the latest, licensed version of the software) - as of most recently on an Asus PRIME B250M-C (chip removed and flashed externally - kudos to asus for making it a DIP and not SMD on that board).

Also, the author of the CH341A software told me that if UEFITool doesn't work, then it's always as simple as editing the file yourself and comparing it with an original dump to identify where the actual BIOS part of it starts in the .CAP file.
                                          Last edited by mockingbird; 03-30-2018, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X