X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yamaha Electric Piano CLP550 no keyboard output

o.k. yammy are full of shit.

the roms are toshiba tc534000
    these are pin compatable with 27c040 eproms and 29f040 flash chips.
    both worth about 2-3 euro/pound/dollar each.

now we just need to find some romdumps on the net to program a set.

Comment

Thanks DK, I have two of these Clavinovas with the same symptom as yours, and no luck locating the replacement board either.
      Never stop learning
      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

can either of you read 32pin eproms?

maybe between your 3 boards we can get a good set of romdumps.

Comment

I'm out of my depth with regards having access to the technology to be able to read the contents of the ROMs. But I'll gladly unsolder and send them off to someone in our network who might be able to do so. If Bud has the same issue I'm sure he'd like to try to get his going as well. In fact I'd happily ship the whole board so comaprisons could be made etc.
          I'd told the owner last night that it was a write-off, but you have given me renewed hope!

Comment

i can dump & program roms and i have blanks.
            i'm u.k. based at the moment - wish i wasnt!

Comment

How do you know if the data stored in the ROM is good or corrupted when you dump it? Let's see if Bud comes back as well. As you say, between three boards you'd hope there was a possibility of getting good data. I've also put out a thread on another forum site for piano ethusiasts (it includes electric pianos), and mentioned what we are trying to do, just in case there are other CLP-550s out there in a similar condition gathering dust that we could get the ROMs from.
              (By the way, where would you prefer to be?)

Comment

i think the better place to be in Europe now is NORWAY.
                everywhere else seems to have turned to the dark-side.
                all damned israel-controlled war mongering control freaks.
                even sweden has changed from what it was!

as for the rom dumping question.
                i dump a hell of a lot of old roms for arcade collectors.
                you can usually spot a bad rom either by one data bit always being high or low.through the whole rom (bad chip)
                or getting slightly different data each time you read it. (weak bits from old age)

in the second case, you can get the data sometimes by chilling the chip or reading it maybe 10times & looking at the differences.

sometimes the manufacturer will even print the checksum on the rom - if your lucky.

Comment

I'll send a PM to Bud and see if he's interested in trying to get the ROM data from a combination of his and mine, and we could get you to do it for us? Burn and supply replacement chips? (Obviously at a price.)

Comment

not a problem.
                    it would cost you less if i public the dumps and you get someone local to do the chips though.

here is a place for oz-guys that can probably sort you out.
                    http://www.aussiearcade.com.au

Comment

OK STJ. So, just so I understand the way forward. Do you need my ROMS (and those of Bud) to gain access to the data. I assume you do? So first step is for me to get those old ROMs to you? Then we can move to the next issue of best way to get our hands on new burned ROMs. Just out of interest, which type of ROM would you go for: EPROM or Flash?

Comment

eprom - always.
                        eproms seem to hold data for over 20years - often much longer.
                        i have stuff from the early 1980's that's still good.

flash has a rated minimum of 10years.
                        it's down to the differences in internal design.

eproms are cheaper too.
                        http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10PCS-NOS...-/130809670467
                        just to give you an idea.

how much did yamy want for a set of 3 again?

oh yes, i need the original roms.
                        can you post a foto of them so i can see whats printed on them?
                        Last edited by stj; 05-01-2014, 08:16 PM.

Comment

The two pianos we received at the recycle place may be gone by now. This is one of the them, they came in March.
                          Attached Files
                          Never stop learning
                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

that's different.
                            board says 570.
                            and it's got 4 roms - not 3.
                            infact it looks like it may have 4 smd ones too.
                            and a supercap.

DK - can you post a foto of your main board plz.

Comment

Sadly it looks very different. Will post pictures of the CLP-550 tomorrow. (Busy tonight with guests.)

Comment

My CLP-550 mainboard and the three waveform generator ROMS.
                                Attached Files

Comment

that's more like it.
                                  3 x 32pin rom.
                                  and no top pads too - easy for someone without high-end tools to desolder.

so now we need either luck, or dumps from anothe user.
                                  would yamaha give us a set of dumps?
                                  probably not, but the worst they can do is tell us to go fvck ourselves.
                                  if they did - i'd consider it a declaration of war & start a rom repository to dump every damned product they make!

Comment

Hey, STJ, time to declare war. Spoke to my contact at Yamaha Music Australia. You know the response. "Yamaha I.P. - not allowed to release it". Without me suggesting anything, he did acknowledge that the code could be easily downloaded from a good set of chips and burnt back onto EEPROMs. Well, we know that. He even said he had the ROM codes, but Japan policy was that thet weren't to be released. Given that they aren't supporting the product any longer with spares that seems harsh. He went on to suggest that if I wanted to continue to diagnose then I should look at the data bus lines with a scope and see if there was a data clash on any bus lines from data simultaneously accessing the bus, which would indicate a chip select problem on one of the ROM chips. (He gave this a technical term which has just escaped my memory banks at the moment.)
                                    The owner told me that the piano hadn't been used for about a year. When they turned it on there was nothing. Does this provide any clues? The Yamaha guy seemed adament that it is a wavegen ROM problem from his experience.
                                    STJ, is it worthwhile me pulling the ROMs and sending them to you to analyse?

Comment

it's worth you pulling them,
                                      if you fit turned-pin sockets then you can try running it with one chip removed in various combinations.
                                      maybe it will show which chip is bad.

so now you need to go on all the piano forums and tell people that yamy has sold them down the river & they need to backup the roms in their piano's asap while they still work.

as for yamy-JPN, they will get what they deserve, they are all getting fukyu-shima'd right now.
                                      (you wouldnt believe the rad level in the air in japan!!!!! they are getting plutonium in airfilters in norway!)

Comment

Well, I've done just as you suggested. Made an order on Flea-Bay for some sockets (that are coming from the UK so they'll take a couple of weeks probably). About a $10 investment to see if we can identify a single ROM that is defective. At least then a single ROM from Yamaha might be financially acceptable to get this piano going again. In theory, if I did get it going, and the mainboard was socketed, it would be an easy process to get the ROMs dumped. If by chance I get to that point I think I would do that as a back up for the future.
                                        I've been hitting every electric piano forum and identified electric piano repairer I can find on the net asking if by chance they have the ROM dumps, but whilst they usually respond to me, no luck. I did find a guy with a working CLP-550 who offered to help if he could but I don't think he realised we were talking about major surgery to get the data out of his ROMs. (And of course he's on the other side of the world.)
                                        By the way, very little plutonium floating around here in the Southern Hemisphere. (Reminds me of an old Sci-Fi movie called 'On the Beach'. The Northern Hemisphere is destroyed by a nuclear war, and an American battleship takes refuge in Melbourne because the fallout hasn't yet reached the southern hemisphere. But after three months it does and the movie ends with papers blowing through the deserted streets of Melbourne. Had that guy from Psycho in it: Anthony Perkins.)

Comment

why the u.k.?
                                          i'm sure there are much closer suppliers of decent sockets.
                                          where did you order & what did you pay?

and your right, northern hemi is getting trashed, but the south seems spared for now.
                                          and if any americans are reading this - dont eat any seafood!

Comment

Working...
                                          X