Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MOTU 896 mk3 re-cap

* FiNLand

I haven't seen any myself (knock on wood ), "only" squirrels, hares (ie. BIG wild rabbits) and the occasional deer/moose.
    Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Originally posted by Khron View Post
      * FiNLand

I haven't seen any myself (knock on wood ), "only" squirrels, hares (ie. BIG wild rabbits) and the occasional deer/moose.
      Is Finland a nice country ? is it easy to chain ladies over there? Is it cold?

what average hair colour have ladies over?

Comment

Try THIS.
        Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Hi Khron, I'm posting here as I can't seem to find any other relevant people that have had issues with the Motu 896 (MkIII).

I have one here that a friend gave me to fix. Said it was working then went off (this was apparently over a year ago). I took it apart and found loads of bad caps in it. Power supply wasn't working at all. However, after a re-cap session I now have the PSU up and running and I also replaced a load of 1000uF caps on the main board too. After finishing up with the replacements I put it back together and turned it on. Power supply, as I said is now ok but the unit still won't come on - at least it doesn't light up. However, I do hear the output relays clicking in upon turn-on so something is happening.

Further investigation reveals a short on the REG1 input pins (PS79650 5v regulator). This probably accounts for the "non-turnon" state but I really don't want to have to start chasing this short all over the main board as it might involve lifting components and breaking tracks! What I *really need* is a schematic in order to trace this. I know you don't have one but I don't know how much in-depth knowledge you have of this unit and whether you can point me in the right direction. Maybe you have come across this fault before?

Anyone reading this... do you have a schematic you can share to help me out with this? Or, has anyone encountered this fault before? Any input anyone can give me will help, otherwise this is going to be a very delicate operation.

Any advice would be useful. Thank you.

Comment

I'm willing to bet good money you can't get any such detailed information from... anywhere, really. Not from the internet, and deffo not from MOTU themselves.

One first step you can take is to separate as many sub-parts from the mainboard as possible (in order to ease the tracking down of the issue). As in, disconnecting the top (output) board, as well as the front panel. If that 5v short goes away, you can then conclude the issue is on one of those boards; otherwise, it's on the mainboard.

That being said though, i'm wondering how many / which components on the mainboard are actually supplied from 5v. Some of the converters, i'd guess, may use 5v for the analog supplies (you'll wanna check the respective datasheets, to make sure). Most of the digital stuff will be supplied from a 3.3v rail (which i believe comes straight from the power supply).

In the internal photos i attached in the first post here, i noticed that inverting switching regulator on the far left side of the unit, with a 7905 on its output. I'm pretty sure that provides the -5v rail for the PGA2500 mic preamps, but i don't recall where it draws power from - is it the +5v rail, i wonder?

Actually, i think it does indeed - i seem to have marked what rails the electrolytics were on, so i knew what voltage ratings to use.
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...4&d=1437783248

Right next to that big cap in the lower-left corner i see an "FB33" marking - FB usually stands for "ferrite bead", which should be easy-enough to remove with a wide-tip soldering iron. Just blob on plenty of extra solder on each end, and then angle the tip so it's parallel to the component and you're able to melt the solder on both ends at once, and thus you should be able to just gently push it aside and off the pads.

But yeah, first step, separate the "daughterboards" and see if the fault persists. If it does and the issue's on the mainboard, i'd kinda-sorta expect a power-stage to have failed (that hard), rather than a "small-signal" one. Either that, or some ceramic cap might've developed some micro-cracks and developed an internal short-circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwdnGbI5ls8
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgKY5QWehME

----------------

<sigh> Looks like my reading skills are getting severely "rusty" - only after typing up all the stuff above, did i notice you said the short is on the INPUT of that 5v regulator.

If memory serves, that regulator gets supplied directly from a 5.5v (or so) rail straight out of the power supply, doesn't it? If that's true, it might be worth (double-) checking the rectifying diodes on the power supply's secondary side.
            Last edited by Khron; 12-14-2017, 07:34 AM. Reason: Major brainfart

Comment

Hello, dear Khron!
              I had a big problem - after a voltage drop my motu 896 does not turn on, but only the LEDs on the front panel flash ...
              There are suggestions that the power board is out of order.
              Service manuals - it is not possible to find ...
              No information on the power scheme, I also can not find ...
              With great joy and hope, I met this forum, where I very much hope to get help!
              Very much I ask you about support!
              Can you please tell me if you have a service manual for this device?
              If not, then maybe you can tell how the power scheme is arranged?
              I would really appreciate any help!
              Thank you so much!)

Comment

http://uzzors2k.4hv.org/projectfiles...0Converter.GIF

Except the controller and the MOSFET are an "all in one" device. I see that's not visible in the photos i've attached here, but you should be able to identify that. Googling up the datasheet for that will surely include some "typical application" schematic, which should be very similar to what's on the board.

First step, in your case, would be to see if the power supply puts out the voltages it's supposed to. Fortunately, that's really easy, on that little connection-board between the PSU board and the main board.

I'd start with using the continuity checker on your multimeter (aka. the "beeper"), to see which of those are the ground connections (there should be 2 or 3, if memory serves). I think the top one (toward the rear of the unit) is the 3.3v, then a 3.8v, and other than that, there should be some +/-15V (or +/- something) for supplying the opamps, and a +50v or so, for the phantom-power supply.

But even before that, see if the capacitors on the secondary are bulged - if any of them are, there's your (first) culprit Second in line would be the small "start-up" capacitor on the primary (near the switching controller+FET).

Comment

Khron, you're just super!
                  Thank you very much for your help!
                  I hope this helps in resolving the issue!
                  Have a nice day!)

Comment

Dear Khron!
                    Thank you for suggested power station but it doesn't fit my sound card. My power board has marking «PS-3501» REV4.
                    Can I ask you for help and share power station for this version if you have it?
                    See the picture attached
                    I will be grateful for your help!

Originally posted by Khron View Post
                    http://uzzors2k.4hv.org/projectfiles...0Converter.GIF

Except the controller and the MOSFET are an "all in one" device. I see that's not visible in the photos i've attached here, but you should be able to identify that. Googling up the datasheet for that will surely include some "typical application" schematic, which should be very similar to what's on the board.

First step, in your case, would be to see if the power supply puts out the voltages it's supposed to. Fortunately, that's really easy, on that little connection-board between the PSU board and the main board.

I'd start with using the continuity checker on your multimeter (aka. the "beeper"), to see which of those are the ground connections (there should be 2 or 3, if memory serves). I think the top one (toward the rear of the unit) is the 3.3v, then a 3.8v, and other than that, there should be some +/-15V (or +/- something) for supplying the opamps, and a +50v or so, for the phantom-power supply.

But even before that, see if the capacitors on the secondary are bulged - if any of them are, there's your (first) culprit Second in line would be the small "start-up" capacitor on the primary (near the switching controller+FET).
                    Attached Files

Comment

What exactly does the version / revision of the power supply board have to do with anything?

Or did you not understand the list of advices?

Comment

Old thread, new message... first post here. My 828 MK3 started arcing inside, I found a very leaky 400V cap on the power supply. I will recap the whole board.

Great info here!
                        Roberto
                        www.rbarrios.com
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi @Khron, I've been fixing some audio stuff for a little while, and been super happy to find your blog and learn more stuff about soundcards ! Thanks !

I got a cheap 896 mk3 making the "CPU not valid error, Update firmware" error. The error continues after I changed the worst caps in here, brand Meritek. Next will be the big 400V 33uF that you seemed to critisize.

I have a working Ultralite mk3, same generation, also FireWire only, and it has the same, classic, TSB41AB2. I've made all diode measurements to compare and rule out this chip. All seems good except the pins connected to AVdd/DVdd. They show 0.08V on the working Ultralite but on the 896 it starts low at 0.0x but quickly raises like when charging a cap.

My guess is that a big chip like CPU/DSP/... is disconnected from power line and so it doesn't pull down the line as it should.

Any clear insight, anyone ?

eum

Comment

Working...
                          X