Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flickering Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW

Hello! My first post!

I've been in possession of a flaky and basically broken Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW for awhile now. When power is applied, the picture/CCFLs flicker(s) at various rates and it slows down until the picture becomes solid and normal. Sometimes this can take 10-20 minutes, sometimes 3 minutes.

I popped it open and in the back C110-C113 are slightly bulging, every other cap looks alright.

I tried looking for Panasonic 820uF 25v caps suggested in another thread, since they're the same cap spec/monitors are similar and Samsung must make roughly the same inverter board....

However, Digikey and Mouser are out of stock on those particular Panasonic caps and they won't have them for a month! (EEU-FM1E821L/EEU-FC1E821S and there is a 330uF that is a little bulgy EEU-FM1E331)

Any substitutes for these specific Panasonic replacement caps and/or a website that has them in stock? I don't know much about electronics... I'm a software guy (CS student).

I appreciate advice and thank you in advance!

Oh yeah, here are pictures of the offenders :

Re: Flickering Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW

Based on your pics that is more than slightly bulging.

You're lucky the PSU and inverter are still functioning with the caps in that condition.

It looks like they have vented based on the black area near the center of the vents.

Go up to the next standard value 1000uf at 25V. 820uf sounds like bean counters trying to get the build cost of the board down by a few cents.

If you're in the Panasonic market get FCs or FMs both low ESR.
    Last edited by Krankshaft; 03-14-2010, 09:43 PM.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Another option is to check the 'Which Caps should I buy' thread in the FAQ. This includes a list of recommended caps. Note that the further to the right you get on the list, the lower the ESR (low is better). Check if any of those caps are available. Don't forget to check dimensions!!

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Using the guide I can't find 10mm x 20mm 25v caps in 820uf or 1000uf, I can find ones at 10mm x 25mm such as KZE Series Chem-con: EKZE250ELL821MJ25S however it's 5mm too tall, afraid it might not fit into the enclosure. But Digi-Key or Mouser don't have the suggested caps in that thread are in stock.

Are there good sites for parts like this besides Digi-Key and Mouser?

Comment

For anyone else stumbling onto this topic from Google as I did...

My 2232BW has a 22W Rev0.1 power supply board. There are 6 caps to buy in advance if your monitor is still usable and you want to wait until the parts arrive to tear it apart:

5x 820uF 25v 10x20mm
          1x 330uF 25v 10x15mm

I have bad 820s in positions C301, C302, and C111-114.

Comment

Originally posted by Gob View Post
            For anyone else stumbling onto this topic from Google as I did...

My 2232BW has a 22W Rev0.1 power supply board. There are 6 caps to buy in advance if your monitor is still usable and you want to wait until the parts arrive to tear it apart:

5x 820uF 25v 10x20mm
            1x 330uF 25v 10x15mm

I have bad 820s in positions C301, C302, and C111-114.
            It is usually recommended that you replace ALL of the caps (with the possible exception of the large 450 volt one). Failure to do so usually results in reopening the monitor within a year to replace more caps that have failed.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I did what PlainBill said. I replaced all five 820uF with 1000uF, and one 330uF with the same value 330uF. Dimensions 10x25mm fits (if you think they do not fit - don't worry)
              And now my 2232BW works fine!

Thanks so much for advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Another google searcher who ended up in this thread. I just wanted to mention that those who are looking for Panasonic FM / FC and can't find them in stock can safely get FR, which are the new series, same as FM (low ESR).

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...3a2427d930.pdf

Comment

Also arrived here from google. There is a very useful video on how to take the 2232 apart here:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul5LhuCT1y8
                  8:04 minutes shows an overview of the power board.

From the datasheet above I found the capacitors on farnell's website:
                  http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeuf...-20/dp/2063073

I'm in the process of selecting a 330uF replacement.

I've had this problem before with a viewsonic 19" but its the first time I'm going to attempt a repair (although I have changed an 8 pin DIL IC on a motherboard which required small scale soldering).

Comment

I thought I'd leave a few pictures of my successful repair. Thanks all.

http://img184.imagevenue.com/galshow...1555204_1134lo

Edit: Images were showing up as thumbnails only.

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/pro...sp?SKU=2063073

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/pro...sp?SKU=1800684

Both 25mm in height and they fit as Banej said above.
                    Last edited by megatron; 07-29-2012, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Could anyone tell me if i can use these caps to fix my 2232BW??

http://www.conrad.nl/ce/nl/product/4...archDetail=005

http://www.conrad.nl/ce/nl/product/4...archDetail=005

The type codes are the same as the mentioned farnell ones, except for the suffixed B..
                      I would have ordered the ones from Farnell, but the minimum order cost was over 50e.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Panasonic FR are excellent low ESR caps, but the pictures are incorrect for FR. FR have black and white sleeves.
                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Also fixed my 2232BW today replacing mentioned caps! Thanks!

Comment

Wow, a lot of newbies with the same problem in the same model monitor.

Comment

Well I don't think I'm newbie, but ok.

Guys I have this issue:
                              - I replaced all capacitors (820uF and 330uF)
                              - flickering still happens.

When I start computer, problem is there right away, poping sound, flickering, then turns off. I wait till computer goes into Windows, then I turn it ON again, and it works. If I lower brightness down it pops flickers and goes off, when I say goes OFF, image goes black but power LED is still ON !

When it goes off, if I use flashlight, I can see live image ...

Is it CCFL failure? Did I miss something, how can I know my issue before trying to repair it.

If I turn it on after Windows start, it works without issues, I see occasional flickering..
                              I talk about 2232BW.
                              Thanks.
                              Last edited by Kova; 12-31-2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

The Samsung 2232BW is obviously a common problem after some google. I'm newbie. The images are still very sharp & thinking of giving a try to repair. Is there a complete list of capacitors to be be ordered? TQ.

Comment

Due to all Monitors etc not necessarily having the exact same boards as yours,even though they may have the same model number,I will be surprised if you will get that info, without Rev number of your board and photos etc.

Comment

Where can I find the revision number? I try not to open my only monitor until I have one that is working. Search for DELL monitors & found a lot of models having flickering problem too.

Can anyone suggest a good brand or model? My 10 year old Philips 15" LCD monitor is still working perfectly, but they are no longer selling locally.

Originally posted by Rtech View Post
                                    Due to all Monitors etc not necessarily having the exact same boards as yours,even though they may have the same model number,I will be surprised if you will get that info, without Rev number of your board and photos etc.

Comment

Hello Everyone, sorry to bring this thread back again, but Im going to attempt to fix this problem with my monitor and I want to be sure I order the correct caps. This is what I want to order, can you confirm these will work?

6 - 1000uf 25v 10mmx20mm
                                      http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1063-ND/755579

2 - 330uf 25v 10mm x 10mm (tallest I saw was 12mm)
                                      http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...DKR-ND/2410510

Comment

Hi guys, i have the exact same problem with mine 2232Bw as you guys in this tread, bulging caps and all, so when i found this tread i decided to repair it just like the explenation here and that wonderfull youtuub video that explanes it wonderfull it really does, i went to a local electronics store in my city and the store dude sold me three 820uF 35V caps and one 330uF 25V cap, he told me the higher voltage wouldnt be a isseu, when i got home i started, it all worked beautiful, the old ones out the new ons in, perfect i thought but.. when i turned it on a small explosion in the back of the screen occurred.
                                        ok so i opend it up to see whats happening in there when i saw the smallest 330uF cap had blown up between the two connectors and one of the new bigger caps had a bulging top, so i replaced all the new caps with the old ones, turned on the monitor and it works just as before but offcourse with the flickering but at least i can use it for the weekend.
                                        now,. i dont think i did anything wrong here but what about the caps that dude sold me? they have to be wrong right? see pics below.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X