Dead Power Supply(XAD819AR) for Acer AL1706

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dead Power Supply(XAD819AR) for Acer AL1706

Hi, This thread helped me repair my Acer AL1706b. The power supply is different than the one shown and it uses different capacitors, so I have attached an annotated picture with the caps identified. I ordered the caps needed from Digikey -- with one exception. They do not stock the 22uF, 25 V cap. Also note, in the picture, two caps are identified as C244; the upper one is 244, the lower one is C241 .. they are the same size and voltage.

If anyone knows the size of the fuse on these power supplies, I would like to know, just in case ...

Hope this posting helps someone else as much as this thread helped me. Thanks for what you offer through this site.
    Jerry

Attached files:
    Acer AL1706b AnnotatedPowerSupply w-CAPs Identified.jpg
    Caps for Acer AL1706b LCD monitor.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JerryLinn; 06-27-2010, 10:46 PM.

Comment

You can use the Panasonic FC cap at

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P11213-ND

That red circle just above the AC adapter is your fuse. It looks like 2A/250V

Originally posted by JerryLinn
      I ordered the caps needed from Digikey -- with one exception. They do not stock the 22uF, 25 V cap.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I've got an AL1706b that's completely dead - no led, no power, nothing.

Input fuse @ 2A/250v checks out, and all caps visually look good. No leaks, no bulges.

This is the Rev: C board dated 2005.11.04 and was working perfectly until a couple days ago.

I know caps can look fine and be bad, but I don't want to waste my time replacing a bunch of caps to find out it's something else. It'd be one thing if I had the assortment here already, but most of these would be custom-order, which only adds to the hassle.

Thanks!

Comment

give us some voltage measurements.
          Al.
          Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Please post some good quality photos per the link below:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=118105

Comment

Originally posted by bw1 View Post
              I've got an AL1706b that's completely dead - no led, no power, nothing.

Input fuse @ 2A/250v checks out, and all caps visually look good.
              It sounds like you have a multimeter. If you know how to use it, see if the secondary voltages, usually 5V DC and/or 12VDC, are present on the connector between the power board and logic board.

If not, carefully measure the DC voltage across the main filter capacitor. It should be 1.4 * mains.

Post clear focused pictures AFTER reading

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868

Please do not post pictures inline.

Take your boards to a window on a sunny day, turn flash off, and use macro mode. Take a top down view of all your boards (front and back). Make sure the photo is legible so that we can read the PCB printing clearly. A shutter speed of 1/125 or faster will produce nice clear focus pictures. Try to get a photo that is 2000x2000 resolution or as close as possible.

Here is an example of the pictures we want.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm on the way out the door to a wedding so will post more details/pics when I get back.

Quick measurements show that both 5v leads going to logic board are good, doesn't look to be a 12v line, and there is minimal voltage (around 1v or so if I remember correctly - I don't know the spec though) on the other non-ground leads as well. Voltage at main cap is ~170v.

Probably doesn't help without any more info though - I'll get to that when I return.

I hate to hijack a thread - if this belongs on its' own, feel free to split it!

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by bw1 View Post
                  I'm on the way out the door to a wedding so will post more details/pics when I get back.
                  Have fun dancing to the "chicken dance song" and Celebration (Kool and the Gang).

Quick measurements show that both 5v leads going to logic board are good, doesn't look to be a 12v line, and there is minimal voltage (around 1v or so if I remember correctly - I don't know the spec though) on the other non-ground leads as well. Voltage at main cap is ~170v.
                  I was just guessing it might have 12V DC. So it looks like the power supply is fine with stable 170V DC at main filter cap and 5V DC going to the logic board.

I guess we will wait for the pictures.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Is it possible that electrolytic capacitor is defective even if its not blown up?My power supply board has the same problem it has no power led even its plug in,non in everything.I would like to try to replace all the capacitor,as of now I remove all of them to replace new ones.I hope to hear a comment as soon as possible. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Yajiger View Post
                      Is it possible that electrolytic capacitor is defective even if its not blown up?
                      Yes. A cap can have high ESR (ohm) or be out of uF specifications without showing signs of bloating.

My power supply board has the same problem it has no power led even its plug in,non in everything.
                      Before replacing anything, please answer a couple of questions

1) Do you have a mulitmeter?
                      2) Do you know how to use a multimeter to mesure voltage and resistance?

Also, post clear focused pictures AFTER reading

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868

Please do not post pictures inline as they slow down the loading of pages.

For best picture quality and clarity take your boards to a window on a sunny day, turn flash off, and use macro mode. Take a top down view of all your boards (front and back). Make sure the photo is legible so that we can read the PCB printing clearly. A shutter speed of 1/125 or faster will produce nice clear focused pictures. Try to get a photo that is 2000x2000 resolution or as close as possible.

Here is an example of the pictures we want.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I didn't want to hijack this thread and confuse with multiple people submitting info so I started another thread. Link

Comment

How come i change all the capacitors but it actually have the same result? Are you all hoax? Fooling people to sell something..... OMG! have a grace in yourself!

Comment

How come i change all the capacitors but it actually have the same result? Are you all hoax? Fooling people to sell something..... OMG! have a grace in yourself!
                            Can you read? In post #50, I suggested (note the word "BEFORE")

Originally posted by retiredcaps
                            Before replacing anything, please answer a couple of questions

1) Do you have a mulitmeter?
                            2) Do you know how to use a multimeter to measure voltage and resistance?"
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

troll?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Ha ha ha.....I fixed my AL1706 monitor.But its not the capacitor.....Can anybody knows about the power IC? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                  Can you read? In post #50, I suggested (note the word "BEFORE")
                                  Yes,I have a multimeter and I know how to use it!OMG I found out what the problem is.....It's the power IC! Do you know about the power IC? or your not familiar with it? ha ha ha

Comment

Hello guys , grats on the great site!

Out of boredom I´ve opened an old AL1706 that wont turn on (just a quick flash on the led) the power board just the same that was posted on a pic on the previous page , a few caps do look bloated , measurements on the out pins 12+ :13.4v 5v+ :5.15 GND: -0.047.

Would bad caps cause this kind of erroneous outputs?!

Thanks in advance
                                    Aiki

Comment

Originally posted by Aikiotto View Post
                                      Hello guys , grats on the great site!

Out of boredom I´ve opened an old AL1706 that wont turn on (just a quick flash on the led) the power board just the same that was posted on a pic on the previous page , a few caps do look bloated , measurements on the out pins 12+ :13.4v 5v+ :5.15 GND: -0.047.

Would bad caps cause this kind of erroneous outputs?!

Thanks in advance
                                      Aiki
                                      Those voltages aren't unreasonable. The 12 volt rail normally runs high when the inverter is off, and the 5 volt rail is normally 5.2, so it's right on.

However, the readings don't show how much noise is on the 5 volt rail, and if the caps are bad enough it will cause problems for the processor on the signal card. It isn't impossible that that has already happened. Sometimes if the problem persists long enough the eeprom on the signal board gets corrupted.

PlainBill
                                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hey Bill , thanks for your answer.

So in your experience , a corrupt eeprom memory would prevent the unit from powering on?Think i remember having to repeteadly try to turn it on before use until it finally died.

Would you suggest a replace on those caps?

Comment

Originally posted by Aikiotto View Post
                                          Hey Bill , thanks for your answer.

So in your experience , a corrupt eeprom memory would prevent the unit from powering on?Think i remember having to repeteadly try to turn it on before use until it finally died.

Would you suggest a replace on those caps?
                                          First of all, replace all bulging caps; better yet, replace ALL electrolytic caps on the power supply with the possible exception of the large 450 volt one.

The signal card can be thought of as a special purpose computer. Most graphics processors have only a small piece of bootstrap code which loads the actual firmware from a serial eeprom. User data (brightness, contrast, current status, etc) should be stored in a second serial eeprom. When the power supply starts the graphics processor retrieves it's programming from the program serial eeprom. It then loads the 'last known state' from the user eeprom. A power supply rail with excessive noise makes writing to and reading serial eeproms prone to error. If program storage is corrupted, the graphics processor is 'brain dead'. If user storage is corrupted, some processors flash the power led rapidly to indicate a problem.

PlainBill
                                          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Working...
                                          X