HP pavillion 503w motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP pavillion 503w motherboard

I want to replace my motherboard due to 8 bad caps. Ugly brown liquid everywhere. Anyone know what size board I need? HP was no help and said I cant' replace it with anything but their board, which they don't even sell. A local computer shop said they replace those boards with all the time with anything that fits. The old board dimensions are about 9.5+ inches by about 8.75+ inches. I don't know a darn thing about form factors. I would like to use my old case and other parts if possible. Any recommendations?

Re: HP pavillion 503w motherboard

probably better to have it recapped.
    saves the hassle of reloading the os .
    and talking to a 3rd world idiot to beg for activation.

Comment

should be this one TriGem Imperial-GLVE

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bph07813

pity it does not have agp. any m-atx or uATX whatever you like to call it should fit.

Glendale/Imperial TriGem Imperial-GLVE (31891.HPD.0000.D.0310140908) used in HP Pavilion models:-

503a, 503n, 503w, 513a, 513c, 513n, 513w, 522 cfg-PC, 522a, 523a, 532w, 533a, 533c, 533w (serno KR or CH), 542x, 563w, 712a, 742c, 752 cfg-PC, 752c, 752n, a200y, a400y, a210n, a200n, a376x, a347x, a342n, a340a, a335w, a320a, a317x, a310n, a305w, a302x, a300y

NOTE: It has been documented for the Echo GL Asus P4G533-LA/P4G533-GL (10/16/2003-I845G/ICH4/IT8708-P4G533LA )that it was also used for the pavilion a305w and in the following models:-

354n (US/CAN), 525w, 533w (serno MX IT8708F), a210n, a206x, a345w, a336n, a335w, a328d, a320d, a318d, a316n, a312d, a307i, a305wm, a305w, a305i, a300n, a424x, a422n, a412n
      and talking to a 3rd world idiot to beg for activation.
      LMAO.....in that case recapping would be better....
      Attached Files
      Last edited by willawake; 02-22-2007, 11:06 AM.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am going to try to recap the board myself. I got the caps at a local electronic store and will take the plunge. What's the worst that could happen (besides blowing up everything, of course). Thanks for the motherboard info. That's certainly my board on the pic's.

Comment

If you haven't recapped before I recommend you read the threads on how to do it, and practice on some junk pcb first.

Also on how to clean the crap from the failed caps off the pcb

You say you got caps from local electronics store....

If you want the recap to last then its a "must" to use good quality low ESR type capacitors.
          Especially if you want to keep it flying as long as you can

General purpose type will probably get the pcb to fire up but they will fail a lot quicker and will cause sporadic behavior when they start to die.
          (leave any further comment to those that know these MB's)

Basically if the jobs worth doing its worth doing it right.

FAQ recapping Here

have a browse or seach this topic recap MB Here

Cleaning MB Here

There was I think another thread on cleaning crap from caps but can't find it
          (possibly more suited to your needs but a washed PCB isn't a bad idea...just make sure its bone dry before powering it up)
          ...anyway HTH and good luck and welcome to the forum

Its well worth a try thats for sure, so go for it

Cheers
          You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

I bought a 30w radioshack soldering iron and went to work on the bad caps last night for 2.5 hrs and of course, no practice mobo to get started. I went right for the real thing. Using the copper braid, bulb suction (also radio shack) was helpful on the removal. Believe it or not, it worked. The new caps are in (although I probably didn't use the best kind since I did get them from a local store before I read the other posts) and everything works. I assume its all luck since so many things can go wrong considering this was my first time taking apart a computer and soldering. But it just goes to show that forums like this are extremely helpful resources for which I am grateful. Thanks for the help and I am sure I will post again once these low quality caps burst into acidic flames.

Comment

Good work there!

Post some pics of the caps, they might be fine too... What are they called?

It's probably not that they are of low quality (well they could be that too) but that they are simply not suitable for this application in the long run...
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Yeah! good one
                is a nice feeling when they fire up

As me mate Per says above,
                (I forgot to ask you to post what brand and type they were)

so as Per said please tell us and yep piccies are always good

Cheers
                You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Hi All! It's been awhile since I visited! I have another project, so decided to visit here first. I am looking at an HP pavilion a335w desktop. From what I can find, it looks like it was part of a WalMart 2003 Christmas special package (according to HP's site). I was reading their directions to determine what motherboard I have, but am not seeing the numbers/letters they are saying I should be seeing. On the back of the HP, below the model number, is the s/n MXM34301RY. There's another s/n, but it also doesn't tell me the board manu. The board does look like the TriGem picture that Willawake posted above. I'd like to know what board it is for sure. Can someone help me?

ALSO, does anyone have a good replacement mobo for this computer that they would consider selling to me, or would sending it in to be recapped be better? I am not interested in trying to recap it myself.

Thanks for reading this and I hope to hear from others soon.

AKBessy :-)

Comment

Additional information I see on the side with the battery: Mat, NO: 137001 Imperial_GL_VE 20021218.

Comment

if it still posts just have it recapped.
                      recap/replace the bestec psu too.
                      it is the cause of many mobo burnups.
                      i have a waiting list for imperial boards due to bestec death.
                      if they are recappable they are sold the instant they pass burn in.

Comment

Hi kc8adu. Thanks for responding. The owner said that the computer would boot up, but that the monitor would "go to sleep" pretty quickly and frequently - she couldn't get any work done. I opened up the case and saw the bad caps on the side of the board between the cpu and the ports - there's at least 8 bad caps around that area. I took the mobo out and looked on the underside; I can see where the board got pretty warm because of the heat the caps put off because it has browned some. Would I have to consider the board damaged, or how brown is bad?

I opened up the bestec psu and see that it is very dirty. I don't see any obvious bad caps, but considered that the psu is probably bad.

Again, thanks for the response - it was quick :-).

Comment

If it's the 250w Bestec just get rid of it. - That one had an extra design fault beyond just basic poor quality and when it goes it takes out the motherboard too.

The brown discoloring won't hurt anything as long as none of the solder (copper) traces have detached from the board.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

i recap the bestecs
                            i use a 22@50 in place of the 10 on the +5stby
                            and of course replace all the other caps.
                            they are ok then.
                            sounds like a recap on the board will fix it.

Comment

Thank you so much for the help PC and kc. I'll pass this information on to the owner and go from there. Have a great day. :-)

Comment

hello
                                i have just recently come across a HP pavilion a503w Desktop PC. It was unfourtunitally struck by lightning because the previous owners didn't have it grounded and from what i can tell everything's fine exsept the "drums" on the mobo were fried =(. Now, i don't know if the "drums" the previous owner refered to were the caps you guys were talking about but i do know that i either have to get them reparied or buy a new mobo. I've been surfing the web and haven't really found a TriGem Glendale for sale anywhere. So if you guys spot one Please let me know. My e-mail is tylerschock@sbcglobal.net .

Thank you for your time

Comment

Originally posted by electronics2801
                                  hello
                                  i have just recently come across a HP pavilion a503w Desktop PC. It was unfourtunitally struck by lightning because the previous owners didn't have it grounded and from what i can tell everything's fine exsept the "drums" on the mobo were fried =(. Now, i don't know if the "drums" the previous owner refered to were the caps you guys were talking about but i do know that i either have to get them reparied or buy a new mobo. I've been surfing the web and haven't really found a TriGem Glendale for sale anywhere. So if you guys spot one Please let me know. My e-mail is tylerschock@sbcglobal.net .

Thank you for your time
                                  the drums are likely bad caps.
                                  lightning does not blow caps like that.replace them ant the board will likely work.

Comment

Do you know how much that generally would cost to have then repaired?
                                    I've read the FAQ's on doing it yourself but i don't think i have the tools or the practice to do it =/ .
                                    Theres just a little bit of dried copper fluid coming out of the top of maybye four or five of them, so what would you use to clean that off, and do you think there's still a chance they can be working?

Comment

it will need to be recapped...period!
                                      once the smoke gets out you cant put it back.
                                      its not as bad as it seems to do it yourself.or you could always mail it to badcaps.

Comment

ok well i was just wondering if the Trigem was worth recapping, cuz it's about two years old but let's face it, in today's technology time that's about 30 lol
                                        so how much is it for you guys to do it?
                                        or do you just do it?
                                        idk
                                        because i found one online going for 70$ so idk if it would be worth it

"electronics2801
                                        Newbie"
                                        =/

P.S.
                                        i live right outside dayton and xenia in Beavercreek so i can probably just drive down there it wouldnt but an hour to get down there, i go to dragon's games all the time.
                                        ok well just get back to me
                                        o and i'll be out of town untill tuesday so i wont reply till then
                                        Thanks
                                        Last edited by electronics2801; 08-10-2008, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X