Soyo Dragon Cannot Restart After Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soyo Dragon Cannot Restart After Shutdown

Hi, I have been question which might or might not be related to capacitors (cause I didn't find any bad ones). The issue I am having with my Soyo Plus Dragon 2 motherboard is that once I do a shutdown it won't start up. After some investigation I realized that the red standby LED on the motherboard does not come up after shutdown. I beleive ATX PSU always give the 5V supply. I tested this with a different new power supply and received same symptom. The only way to restart is to plug the power cable out, wait for 10 seconds and then start the computer.

Any ideas ?

Re: Soyo Dragon Cannot Restart After Shutdown

If you don't mind some more disassembly, I suggest stripping system bare and try it. If power is normal, start your reconnects. You may find a bad component.
    Jim

Comment

some nics iirc run from +5stby as well as the keyboard/mouse.
      thats for wake on lan/power on by kb/mouse.
      you might want to try a different better psu in case +5stby is being overloaded.

Comment

Originally posted by leolite1
        Any ideas ?
        A few questions:

- Has the motherboard always behaved in this manner or is this a new development?

- What PSUs have you tested it with?

- Have you tried clearing the CMOS, or failing that, flashing the BIOS with the manufacturer's latest version? I've seen BIOS flashes cure all manner of bizarre "hardware" problems.

Let us know.

Comment

The motherboard was fine for maybe a year. it suddently started behaving like this .. I have already tried using a new PSU (450W I don't know the model). There is nothing else besides an AGP video card. I will see if there is any newer BIOS and also try with a different video card.

If nothing works then I might just have to put a sticker "Please turn off the machine from the power strip after shutdown" :-)

Comment

I have this exact motherboard with this exact symptom. It *is* bad caps. The 3300uF 6.3v Sacon caps surrounding the processor have all failed - but only one is bulging slightly on top. Some of the Sacons will fail silently and not show any visible signs of leaking. I'm in the process of recapping this board with Nichicon HE's/Rubycon MBZ and I will update once it is completed.

Comment

Working...
            X