Caps bad on SY-K7VTA-PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caps bad on SY-K7VTA-PRO

As part of replacing parts in my mom's computer I was shocked to see how bad the caps on this board had exploded. I just wanted to let everybody know that the cap maker Wendell is BAD. I read the bad caps thread about this being a known bad company but I wanted to post detailed information on what caps I found to be "bad".

1000 uf 6.3v 105c and the 1500 uf 6.3v 105c are leaking electrolyte on the board, most are completely shot, some look fine but upon further inspection are blown out at the bottom. There are smaller caps marked Wendell but they do not appear to have any damage, and at this point I'm unsure if I want to replace them or not. As a side note I noticed that all the larger caps coated in green blew and all the smaller caps coated in black are fine. Not sure if this is relevant or not, but it seems strange.

I had to replace out this Soyo board with another board mainly due to overheating, the 2000+ XP cpu was always reported as having a 155F reading in bios, and Windows XP started to become unstable.

I do need some questions answered if anybody is reading, there are 2200uf 6.3v caps marked SACON also on the board, and one of them has blown but the others look to be in good operational order, I'm just wondering is this a random blowout or should I suspect these caps are bad and replace them? I do want to put this board back into operating shape, cause before the caps started blowing this was a good performing board.

Re: Caps bad on SY-K7VTA-PRO

Replace all Wendell, regardless of appearance. Replace all the 2200/6.3 Sacon as well.

Comment

Sacon - if one is bad, replace them all as the other will sooner or later go bad too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
        Sacon - if one is bad, replace them all as the other will sooner or later go bad too.
        I agree. If one cap is bad, the others which look good may soon bring trouble.
        My gaming PC:
        AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
        ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
        PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
        G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
        TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
        WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
        ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
        Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
        Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
        Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
        Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by xtort107
          As part of replacing parts in my mom's computer I was shocked to see how bad the caps on this board had exploded. I just wanted to let everybody know that the cap maker Wendell is BAD. I read the bad caps thread about this being a known bad company but I wanted to post detailed information on what caps I found to be "bad".

1000 uf 6.3v 105c and the 1500 uf 6.3v 105c are leaking electrolyte on the board, most are completely shot, some look fine but upon further inspection are blown out at the bottom. There are smaller caps marked Wendell but they do not appear to have any damage, and at this point I'm unsure if I want to replace them or not. As a side note I noticed that all the larger caps coated in green blew and all the smaller caps coated in black are fine. Not sure if this is relevant or not, but it seems strange.

I had to replace out this Soyo board with another board mainly due to overheating, the 2000+ XP cpu was always reported as having a 155F reading in bios, and Windows XP started to become unstable.

I do need some questions answered if anybody is reading, there are 2200uf 6.3v caps marked SACON also on the board, and one of them has blown but the others look to be in good operational order, I'm just wondering is this a random blowout or should I suspect these caps are bad and replace them? I do want to put this board back into operating shape, cause before the caps started blowing this was a good performing board.
          I have a similar motherboard, the Soyo SY-K7VTA-B, which is a slightly stripped version of the SY-K7VTA-PRO, the only difference AFAIK, it don't support 133 mhz FSB.

The caps on my Soyo SY-K7VTA-B motherboard appear to be fine and even Prime95 passed! Thus, I doubt that the Wendell caps are bad on that motherboard. They also appear to be flush on that motherboard.

There's also another cause of bad caps: (not because of manufacturer)

Running the motherboard with prolonged overheating.
          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-05-2005, 05:31 PM.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Wendell will fail, sometimes without bulging. They're usually 1000 or 1500 uF/6.3, in an 8 mm package. I always replace them as a matter of routine with Rubycon YXG.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP
              I have a similar motherboard, the Soyo SY-K7VTA-B, which is a slightly stripped version of the SY-K7VTA-PRO, the only difference AFAIK, it don't support 133 mhz FSB.

The caps on my Soyo SY-K7VTA-B motherboard appear to be fine and even Prime95 passed! Thus, I doubt that the Wendell caps are bad on that motherboard. They also appear to be flush on that motherboard.

There's also another cause of bad caps: (not because of manufacturer)

Running the motherboard with prolonged overheating.
              Its possible though that your soyo board has not been abused. You may have not experienced these problems because the board wasnt run at the high bus frequency.

The case that this pro board was in was not vented well, and its possible this led to my cap problem. I think its just a time degradation problem though. I say that because I kept a fairly close eye on this board. I monitored the temps and kept the case clean, and board temp stayed pretty steady. It generally stayed in the 30c range on the board, and the chip maintained a 40c to 45c range, then all at once the temps began to rise, the board would top out at 40c and the chip was getting to the 60c range no matter how well I cooled it. Thats when I noticed the myriad of caps leaking. These caps going all at one time leads me to believe this is the real reason for the bad overheating.

thanks for the tips, Im planning on a full cap replacement of the board now, I plan on using Nichions, Rubycons, or Panasonics, which ever I can find at a reasonable price.
              Last edited by xtort107; 12-07-2005, 03:58 PM.

Comment

thanks for the tips, Im planning on a full cap replacement of the board now, I plan on using Nichions, Rubycons, or Panasonics, which ever I can find at a reasonable price.
                It is wise to replace them all so you don't have to go in again later.
                I've seen a system that had no case, just the mainboard on a shelf, powersupply on one side, couple a drives on the other, happy as can be and so easy to work on. Then another system, built into an entertainment center, cables all over, very hard to work on. I made the mistake of only replacing the the blown caps and not the sucked ones, had to do the rest less than a year later.
                Jim

Comment

Its possible though that your soyo board has not been abused. You may have not experienced these problems because the board wasnt run at the high bus frequency.

The case that this pro board was in was not vented well, and its possible this led to my cap problem. I think its just a time degradation problem though. I say that because I kept a fairly close eye on this board. I monitored the temps and kept the case clean, and board temp stayed pretty steady. It generally stayed in the 30c range on the board, and the chip maintained a 40c to 45c range, then all at once the temps began to rise, the board would top out at 40c and the chip was getting to the 60c range no matter how well I cooled it. Thats when I noticed the myriad of caps leaking. These caps going all at one time leads me to believe this is the real reason for the bad overheating.

My Soyo SY-K7VTA-B motherboard has endured some OC'ing. Had to put it back to stock, because the FSB won't go far stably! I was lucky to get 102 mhz FSB stably! Also, the T-bird 900 mhz I has wasn't OC'ing well, I was lucky to get 1000 mhz stably. When I had it at 1050 mhz (100x10.5), I was always getting ***STOP IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when in middle of gaming, even with the Vcore at 1.85V. That stopped occuring when the processor core was back at stock. Also, increasing the Vcore value higher then 1.85V didn't help! In fact, that caused me to get the dreaded boot block screen! That symptom may have been because of the Deer PSU. That symptom may have been because of the fact that the PSU was only 250W.This thing still went good when not OC'ing at all. Also, I noticed, at least with the BIOS from 2001 that the 12.5x multiplier don't work! If you set the multiplier to 12.5x, the motherboard interprets it as 10.5x!
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-11-2005, 02:50 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP
                    My Soyo SY-K7VTA-B motherboard has endured some OC'ing. Had to put it back to stock, because the FSB won't go far stably! I was lucky to get 102 mhz FSB stably! Also, the T-bird 900 mhz I has wasn't OC'ing well, I was lucky to get 1000 mhz stably. When I had it at 1050 mhz (100x10.5), I was always getting ***STOP IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when in middle of gaming, even with the Vcore at 1.85V. That stopped occuring when the processor core was back at stock. Also, increasing the Vcore value higher then 1.85V didn't help! In fact, that caused me to get the dreaded boot block screen! That symptom may have been because of the Deer PSU. That symptom may have been because of the fact that the PSU was only 250W.This thing still went good when not OC'ing at all. Also, I noticed, at least with the BIOS from 2001 that the 12.5x multiplier don't work! If you set the multiplier to 12.5x, the motherboard interprets it as 10.5x!
                    It seems you've explained every reason why your setup wouldn't overclock well Can't really expect much from poor quality components.

Comment

If there's VIA KT133 chipset (not KT133A), then it does not work above 100MHz. KT133A works fine at 133MHz (maybe even higher).

Comment

Even if I had different caps, I wouldn't be able to run it at 133 mhz, because the chipset don't support that for whatever reason. I would be lucky to get 105 mhz! This is a non-KT133A KT133 limitation.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Working...
                        X