Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Pavilion dv8 Wi-Fi problem

Hey guys
    Ok, so i have a Hp pavilion dv8 1080ez. The wifi doesn't work, the windows shows it as wireless capability turned off, the troubleshooting tells me to turn the wifi on the keyboard quick launch buttons. However, when I press the button the light changes from orange to blue but the windows still sees it as turned off. Seems to me like the button isn't working, o is there a way to tyrn it on without tge button?
    The laptop has the first bios version and I'm thinking to update it but is it safe to, also there is some firmware update which supposedly should fix something about those buttons but when I run it it says it's not for my computer and i download it from the official hp site for the correct model (maybe it needs the newest bios?)
    I saw many complaining about this, just that their wifi would turn on and off by itself, while mine won't turn on at all.

Also, it has a geforce gt 230m, i installed the drivers but sometimes the screen goes black and back on and then it uses the vga display driver and the laptop gets slower. After a while it goes back to geforce driver and works normally.
    Is it safe to update the bios and then try the firmware update? I don't want later to take of the bios chip and flash the older one

What should I try?
    Thanks

Re: HP Pavilion dv8 Wi-Fi problem

Hallo,

I have a problem with the WiFi on this device. Whatever I do it's not working.

As you know there is a TouchPad above the keyboard and it has a button with the wireless icon, it's for disabling or enabling the Wi-Fi, i guess.
    However, being orange or blue when I press it, it doesn't make the WiFi work.
    In "Control Pnel/ Network and Internet / Network connectionsc" , there appear 3 adapters. Ethernet, WiFi and Bluetooth . Whether the button above the keyboard is orange or blue the WiFi adapter is always present in "Control Pnel/ Network and Internet / Network connections", while the Bluetooth adapter is only present if the button is on, having the blue color (Bluetooth works fine, managed to connect my phone).
    Now, when i do right click on the WiFi adapter and choose "diagnose" it comes with this: "Turn on wireless capacity : Use the switch on the front or side of the computer, or function keys if available, to enable wireless capability on this computer."

However, the button is already on, has the blue color. I tried it while it's off and then turning it on, but it just doesn't work. Is there any way to activate wireless capability without the physical button above the keyboard, because it obviously only works for the Bluetooth.

I bought a new WiFi card but it's the same.
    Funny (maybe sad tho) thing is that my friend owns the same laptop and has the exact same problem.

What could I try? I was thinking to update the BIOS, it's currently on "Hewlett-Packard F. 05, 10.09.2009." but how safe is it? I wouldn't like to deal with more problems and would it have any impact?
    Also, on the drivers website I found a firmware driver "Quick Launch Buttons Firmware, V92 Rev. E" which supposedly fixes some issues with the buttons. I downloaded it and run it, however in the application it says that my current version is 92, and the new installed one would be 92 also, so I didn't do it.

Hope that someone has a solution.
    Thanks in advance ��

Comment

try it with live ubuntu,if is working(not button,wifi itself),then is it some problem with windows

Comment

Its a grounding problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GreyKnF3TM
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

I tried it with Ubuntu, even with new wifi card.
          I added some details here to, to not repost https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...m/td-p/6804627

Tnx for the video, I will check it out a bit later but I think I already did that, my buttons work fine, sound n other. Anyway, will check it and write.
          Last edited by 123XYZ123; 08-25-2018, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Have a really stupid question.
            Can I put the WiFi card into the pci slot for tv tuner, currently in it a 309-b avermedia.

I tried it and yes, it works in that slot heh, but the wifi antenas can't reach it, so the signal is poor. Have to disassemble it completely and see if i can get them there
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 123XYZ123; 08-25-2018, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Can I say that the mini PCIe WiFi slot is faulty?
              And there is a difference, the WiFi card feels really loose in it, while in the other slot it fits perfectly.
              Any ideas for the antennas? ��

Comment

Working...
              X