Dell GX620 losing video output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell GX620 losing video output

Hi all. I work in lab servicing CPUs and other stuff and I have come across the infamous Dell caps plague... which is usually easy to fix just recapping. I have fixed a lot of 620 motherboards recapping the usual kit but I have recently had quite a lot of motherboards which lose video while loading Windows.

Sometimes, after service, I get no post, which I dont really care becasue applying new soldering paste and enhacing the joints do the job but losing video when booting to graphics is really annoying.

I can use "streesslinux" as long as I please since it works in text mode but when it comes to loading Windows the monitor goes to sleep as if no signal is being received and the computer just freezes. Sometimes, running an Ubuntu live session keeps the computer working flawless, but sometimes it happens the same although it takes much longer to happen. When I try to load Windows it just freezes while the colour dots turn into the Windows logo or after a few seconds of displaying the desktop.

I have plenty of spare parts to exchange but never managed to fix that. I have changed memory, processor, PSU and even a new caps kit. I have tried cleaning the memory slots and the processor socket with alcohol, air blower, and professional contacts cleaner but keep getting that annoying effect. And resetting/ugrading BIOS didn't work...

The GX620 motherboard has the regular caps kit sold here but it is also fully populated with small 220uF/16V caps and I wonder if these can be causing the fault. I have read in another post about GX620 that the video cap popped out but I can't just figure out which one is that...

Any of you, caps gurus, have come across this issue or something similar?

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by tmitr; 01-27-2015, 09:57 AM.
Working...
X