Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN46ES6003FXZA panel question

Hi Guys,

Is this a heat stain or burn? I do have a horizontal line or box actually on the panel matching the height of this tab in the picture. Next question is, would this be repairable or is the panel toast?

Thanks for your input.

Edit:
    I think the second photo may answer the question. It looks like a burn mark on the top creating the horizontal issue.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DesertRat; 01-18-2019, 02:29 PM.

Re: Samsung UN46ES6003FXZA panel question

of course, you can compare to others on the panel to confirm... but it would appear that the particular tab is bad.

The set can be saved and provide an almost normal picture to most eyes by removing all of the tabs along that side that has the bad one. Lots of threads about removing tabs to save tvs. Read a few to get an idea of whats involved. The removal is a one time event as they can not be put back.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
      of course, you can compare to others on the panel to confirm... but it would appear that the particular tab is bad.

The set can be saved and provide an almost normal picture to most eyes by removing all of the tabs along that side that has the bad one. Lots of threads about removing tabs to save tvs. Read a few to get an idea of whats involved. The removal is a one time event as they can not be put back.
      Thank you budwich, I'll do some research here and see what I can find. That's a relief that it can be salvaged, even if it's only a one time event. It works fine otherwise, just that annoying block across the screen.

Comment

The right way to fix this problem is to change the side tab which is easier than the one underneath the screen. Save this TV. in the future I will have articles how to change tabs by using DIY portable COF bounding machine.

Comment

Originally posted by capwizard View Post
          The right way to fix this problem is to change the side tab which is easier than the one underneath the screen. Save this TV. in the future I will have articles how to change tabs by using DIY portable COF bounding machine.
          Although I appreciate what you're saying, I have a limited shop to work in. This TV belongs to a friend of mine and it's their primary TV, and the Superbowl is just around the corner! They need it fixed now, or word to get a new one.

On that note, I am going to have to tell him that all attempts to repair this TV have failed. I did remove the tabs on the one side, gently removing them from the strip/panel. I put it back together, turned it on, and nothing but a blue screen that fades to white. No menu, no nothing, just blue then white. I've got to go give him the bad news.

Comment

Oh my God! You did the same thing I had done it before. I hope you not remove all the side tabs at once.
            Last edited by capwizard; 01-18-2019, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRat View Post
              Hi Guys,

Is this a heat stain or burn? I do have a horizontal line or box actually on the panel matching the height of this tab in the picture. Next question is, would this be repairable or is the panel toast?

Thanks for your input.

Edit:
              I think the second photo may answer the question. It looks like a burn mark on the top creating the horizontal issue.
              That IC is burnt, you try removing that tab since there is nothing to lose at this point.
              Last edited by budm; 01-18-2019, 06:27 PM.
              Never stop learning
              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Thanks guys, for the help. Capwizard, I did remove the three tabs on the side at one time, instead of just the one as Budm suggests. My friend was very understanding and he's going to pick up a new TV tomorrow.

That burn mark was there from the first time I went in to repair the leds (from the other thread on this same TV), I just didn't think too much about it at the time. I was focused on the led and power supply issues then. I'm sure I disturbed it in the process and only revealed the next problem he was going to have down the road, had I not disturbed it.

Comment

Sounds like you did it right, wonder why it didn't work?

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                    Sounds like you did it right, wonder why it didn't work?
                    Thank you nomoresonys, it's possible there could be something more going on inside the panel in a bad way. I did a test pattern and there was a pattern, but it looked like the wrong resolution, kind of like using 16 bit settings on your computer display instead of 32 bit. I tried a different main board, but still got the same resolution, even after a reset. So it may have been dying and I just helped it along.

Comment

Since that IC is damaged it may have taken out the IC's and power supply on the T-CON board that drive it.
                      Last edited by budm; 01-18-2019, 09:55 PM.
                      Never stop learning
                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Good point budm, maybe it just needs a good tcon now?

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                          Since that IC is damaged it may have taken out the IC's and power supply on the T-CON board that drive it.
                          I tried a second tcon board after the removal, but got the same result. However, I can't say for sure that the second tcon board even worked, without any other issues. It was a used one and in unknown condition (only word of seller) at this point. It's worth a try, if I can find a "new other" type.
                          Last edited by DesertRat; 01-18-2019, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Budm, thank you for the suggestion on the t-con. I had wondered about that myself, but I'm still learning. I appreciate all of your help and the other guys as well. I wasn't sure if there was any way it could have damaged something somewhere else in the system. But I did wonder after what nomoresonys said. I made sure there wasn't any residual material on the place where the tabs were removed. So why didn't it work for me too? Went through my head.

Comment

something is strange. Even on a fully working set, if you pull the tabs on one side, the set will function "normally".

What exactly did you remove. Can you post a picture of the thing you removed?
                              Further, did you check the other side tabs to see what they look like?

Still further, when one disconnects the tcon to panel cables (one side), that side would go white. You appear to indicate that the whole display is white (blue first).... this is strange. There is an issue somewhere else that wasn't not seen. In your case, if the tcon to panel cable is disconnect for the same side that you removed the tabs from, you are now likely to only see black because nothing will driving that side of the panel.

We probably should have ask for more picture of the display along with more testing beyond the "obvious" chip picture... :-(
                              Last edited by budwich; 01-19-2019, 01:19 AM.

Comment

something is strange. Even on a fully working set, if you pull the tabs on one side, the set will function "normally".

What exactly did you remove. Can you post a picture of the thing you removed?
                                Further, did you check the other side tabs to see what they look like?

Still further, when one disconnects the tcon to panel cables (one side), that side would go white. You appear to indicate that the whole display is white (blue first).... this is strange. There is an issue somewhere else that wasn't not seen. In your case, if the tcon to panel cable is disconnect for the same side that you removed the tabs from, you are now likely to only see black because nothing will driving that side of the panel.

We probably should have ask for more picture of the display along with more testing beyond the "obvious" chip picture... :-(
                                Budwich, a picture of removed is attached. I checked all 6 of them 3 on each side and the burnt one in the original post is the only one burnt (middle tab in picture), or showing even any small amount of heat. Note: the one with the torn portion, I made sure that all of it got removed, not just the larger portion in the picture.

The ones that connect to the buffer boards along the bottom all look good as well. No signs of overheating on any of them, or tears.

That is correct, if I turn the set on presently, I get a blue screen that slowly fades to all white. I cannot see anything on the screen indicating writing or a dialog box or anything. Just blue then white. I do hear the power up sound from the main board.

And don't worry about not having asked for more testing. I try to do a lot of research in the threads here before I ask a question. So I may have already done some of the testing you might ask, based on other threads. So don't worry about that part.
                                Attached Files

Comment

:-( no problem... but there is still something strange.... or possibly different with a samsung panel maybe.

BUT if you have more time, can you do a bit more testing / disconnecting cables?
                                  Can you disconnect the cable from the tcon to the panel for the side that you removed the tabs for... what happens to the display?

Comment

:-( no problem... but there is still something strange.... or possibly different with a samsung panel maybe.

BUT if you have more time, can you do a bit more testing / disconnecting cables?
                                    Can you disconnect the cable from the tcon to the panel for the side that you removed the tabs for... what happens to the display?
                                    I'll check this out and let you know the result. I've got some other things I want to check out too. Will let you know what, and how it turns out.

Comment

Ok, with the ribbon cable disconnected on the t-con board for the missing tabs side, I get a black half screen on that side, with a blue/purple screen on the connected side. If I switch sides on connection with the missing tabs, I get a solid white screen. No indication of color but white.

I did do some voltage testing on the t-con board and on (or near) the TP's there is a voltage reference for some but not all. In the picture I circled the one in question. On this TP I got a -6.31 volts instead of +11 as the reference suggests. The others matched closer to the references on the silkscreen. Is there anything else I can check on this board? I used a shopjimmy board instead of mine. I don't have a picture of the t-con board for the tv I'm working on. I don't see any brown spots or burnt components, so I just grabbed a shopjimmy pic. Hope that's ok.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Here's the panel number:
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X